đŸ‡łđŸ‡± Monzo in The Netherlands [Discussion]

The pro for bunq in the Netherland over N26 is they do a MĂŠstro debit and Mastercard debit which increases merchant acceptance

2 Likes

Does anyone know if Albert Heijn (the largest Dutch supermarket chain) accept MasterCard Debit card yet? They used to only accept MĂŠstro Debit card.

Used my monzo many times in AH.

1 Like

Really
 I have failed to use it in every AH I have found. All around the country.

Each one has told me they only accept maestro.

1 Like

Used it 10 times last week in 5 different AH in Amsterdam

I was told by one younger staff that maybe amsterdam accepts more cards because of tourists, however I failed in amsterdam outskirts.

Tried many many times around the south (brabant / limburg) rotterdam etc.

Are you doing anything special (magstripe) ??

1 Like

As a note I give all my employees in holland a pre paid mastercard solution for my payroll.

They also cant spend those. Same kind of issues.

That would make sense I guess as there is a lot of tourists but bit strange to have it just in one city lol

that can happen, as some UK merchants have different card acceptance rules in London to rest of country*. Also Aldi in UK initially had different card acceptance rules in England and Wales with credit cards accepted in Wales at a time when they were not in England.

*e.g. accept UnionPay in West End stores but not elsewhere

Really? I used it fine there this summer, both at self checkouts and cashiers. Didn’t need to activate magstripe or anything like that

They didn’t in April

1 Like

Another country where the ATM withdrawal limits are a real pain due to the Pinkassa scheme in supermarkets which don’t accept Monzo cards so cash is your only option for groceries, etc.

2 Likes

Yeah the inability to use Monzo (not monzos fault this one) and the need for cash for simple groceries, really reduces Monzo use when I am there.

Even moving to N26 doesnt solve the shopping in store but I do at least have another batch of ATM use.

Starling still have unlimited withdrawals so I guess if you’re looking for a cash card it’s a place to start.

True and I have opened a Starling but fact is I have euros, to spend euros, so converting to GBP even at mid point rates seems foolish

One day Monzo / Starling / N26 etc may be swipeable multi currency accounts like Revolut is, but I realize I am a very niche case.

but I think N26 offer a Maestro card as well as Mastercard Debit. That would help in Netherlands where Maestro acceptance much higher in shops

Not to me
 Bunq does but I didnt feel like another per month fee when I am testing so many banks.

Maybe I need to request one ?? Or Maybe its in the N26 black ??

Initially they launched it in DACH countries but not sure if they rolled it out to Benelux or other countries yet? https://n26.com/maestro-card/

I know the odds are almost zero, but if N26 offers Maestro in the UK, that would be a killer feature!

1 Like

Not quite right. I wish they would also offer it in CH (Switzerland) but currently, N26 is only available in D and A.

1 Like