Netflix Chat

Just got the email about it. I’m not going to do anything. If people using my account get kicked off, that’s on them, I’ll offer for them to contribute towards and pay the £4.99/month for the account if they want to keep access.

No issues for me if they don’t :man_shrugging:t3:

3 Likes

I’m less interested in the folk who cancel because they are actually password sharing, and more interested in any folk being asked to pay more when they aren’t sharing passwords.

I’m going to hazard a guess most cancelling will actually be doing the thing that the fee is supposed to stop - so a win for Netflix I suppose.

1 Like

Depends really on if those who had someone else’s account then decided to open their own account.

1 Like

Not really. That’s a secondary win.

1 Like

Yes really.

If I am splitting a £10 account with someone else, Netflix is getting £10. If we decide it is no longer worth it with the new rule, then Netflix no longer gets £10, plus their viewership falls which is bad news. Definitely a loss.

They are doing this not because they care solely about password sharing, but because they want more money. That is the aim of this entire policy.

1 Like

They want to stop freeloaders, which was the point @coffeemadman man was making, before your selective quote.

1 Like

Because they want more money, not simply because they want to stop freeloaders. They think these “freeloaders” will decide to pay for their own account as Netflix wants more money.

They aren’t doing it simply to stop “freeloaders”.

And that quote summed up a general point that they were making, but considering you have a problem with everything I do, I really don’t care if you now have issue with how I quote stuff.

It’s like you don’t even read what’s said and just continue your tirade!

Stopping freeloaders is the goal here. Every single person that views Netflix costs them money. That’s why they want to stop it.

I thought you weren’t replying about this anymore anyway?

1 Like

At that point in time, I had said what I wanted to, but the conversation progressed, so I had something more to say.

It’s like you don’t even understand how discussions work, or maybe you just are so obsessed with me that you feel compelled to find ways to constantly complain about what I do.

Nobody is obsessed with you. You just fly off the handle in another one of your tantrums when someone disagrees with you and then start going on about people hating you or being obsessed with you.

You thought @lpoolrob was getting at you yesterday because he had the audacity to reply.

Bring the main character syndrome down a touch.

1 Like

giphy (1)

These miffed with the charge will be back with their own subs. What’s an extra £2.50 between friends.

4 Likes

How long has Netflix been going?

Surely those who share their account must have realised it was going to happen at some point. It has been on and off in the news for a long time now.

Nevermind the fact that they’ve taken advantage of this and saved a small fortune throughout.

4 Likes

Looking through this, it’s actually a pretty good deal for people that you’re sharing your account with. I’m on the Mad Expensive 4K Tier, and have people sharing my account.

If they were to subscribe for their own similar tier, they’d have to pay that (£16?) each, instead, they can get the same tier for £5/month by being added onto my Netflix, but they get their own whole Netflix account too :person_shrugging:

Seems, like a good idea.

I think I remember reading ages ago, that Netflix had terms against password sharing, but never enforced it, so in theory, it’s always been against the rules? (Maybe misremembering!)

I’d agree with you, if they were governing better how they determine when you need to pay for an additional account.

Had a brief look through the Canadian mega thread last night for some of those comments. I found one before getting distracted by the Bungie announcements out the PlayStation thing:

https://reddit.com/r/netflix/comments/10rlxds/_/j84g2ds/?context=1

And one of the moments they pulled an Elon Musk, which Netflix have done a few times over the last several months:

https://reddit.com/r/netflix/comments/10rlxds/_/j6y5bkp/?context=1

And this article was shared in there somewhere too:

1 Like

So, I think (could be wrong) there’s confusion (not helpfully I agree!) on Netflix side. The “additional account” at £5, has to be set up in the same region as the main account.

I also, don’t have a problem with Netflix bringing rules in to stop people buying a really cheap foreign account via VPN and then using that to watch exclusively in the UK - that’s just cheating them out of money via a loophole, so should be closed imo.

With the Canadian one, all I’ve read hasn’t stipulated anything like that. It’s said you just need to check in at your home location at a set period of time, or enter a code they send you. Not actually prohibiting you from doing stuff.

I think, as this has expanded, we’ll see it evolve and get better (or worse), and some of the issues get resolved or come out in usage of it.

Ultimately, as the main person paying, it doesn’t bother me, this won’t stop me paying. It’s up to Netflix to implement what they want, and if they screw themselves over with it, they’ll soon revert their decisions - but I don’t see that happening.

1 Like

First of all, I apologise if I’m being super picky here. But only one of those examples possibly covers what I was looking for.

Part of this is accounted for by different interpretations of wording. I’ve been looking for examples of “being asked to pay” in the sense that customers have had they accounts blocked and therefore in that sense they’ve been asked to pay.

Two of your examples are of customers contacting customer support in advance to ask the question, the preemptively cancelling their subscription in at least one of those cases. Strictly speaking you have given me an example I asked for, so all I can do here is apologise for the crossed wires and try and state again as clearly as possible - I’m looking for examples where customers actually have been affected by Netflix blocking them, not where they’ve said “my use case doesn’t fit their policies so they will probably block me” before that has actually happened.

Which leaves the one that possibly covers it, the man in hospital. Only, again, the article doesn’t actually say his iPad has stopped working. Absent that specific statement, it does sound like the basis of the article is he’s read the policy and is anticipating the problem. I’d be much more interested in seeing an article where a hospital patient has had their iPad blocked and customer support are refusing to do anything about it. This is because, ahead of time, you don’t get to see if contacting customer support will see them respond by making an exception to the policy and unblocking the iPad.

Even if they don’t, assuming this gentleman’s family visits him daily, it would be trivial for someone to take his iPad home, reconnect it with the home network, and then take it back in for him again. When I had a family member in hospital a few years ago we did almost exactly the same for them - we would download iPlayer programmes to their iPad, take it in, and when they’d watched them all we would take it back home and download another set. Because the charges for using hospital WiFi were freaking extortionate.

Anyway; I do appreciate you finding those examples even though they weren’t what I was looking for.

1 Like

Depends, like my current set up is that I’m on the crazy expensive tier and I share access to family outside of my household, but I split the costs with them. So the £16 becomes £4 each.

Not sure if there’s a limit to how many people can be added on under the new setup but even if I can add all 3 at £5 each, that drives the total cost up to £31, or £7.75 per person.

If I could only add one person to my crazy expensive tier that would total £21 or £10.50 each.

So everyone here will be paying more under the new rules, but would still be playing less than if we had to buy our own separate 4k plans.

I’m somewhat okay with that. Obviously I’d like for costs not to go up but it’s their service to do with as they please, and I’m not entitled to know their inner workings on how they will make the new setup work.

1 Like

I appreciate that, sorry for the misunderstanding!

I’m still observing the goings on over at Reddit, and now it’s live in the US, if I notice any as I catch them in real time, I’ll save the link and come back to share later.

That’s probably both going to be easier than scrolling through for ones from months ago, and more representative of how well the new approach itself is actually working.

As for the article, I’d have assumed the headline wording would have covered it, but then I don’t know what Canadian rules are allowed. I know in the U.K. you can mislead folks with clickbait, but I don’t think you’re allowed to actually outright lie. Perhaps they can get away with that in Canada?

2 Likes

I appreciate that, and I think you’re right, that would certainly be easier than going back through hundreds of thousands of past entries trying to find any actual examples rather than people predicting what might happen.

If it’s like UK news (and probably is), headlines are written by subeditors rather than the article writer, and they absolutely will slap the most misleading headline on possible if they think that will get more engagement. Papers get called out for it all the time - sometimes even by the reporters who have written the article!

I just did a Google search of the patients name to see if I could find any other stories; the majority of the results used the same wording, more or less, so much have been a syndicated article of some form, but I did find one that said “But with new regulations imposed by Netflix, which require devices to register with a home Wi-Fi network every 30 days, the man could lose his access.” Which would confirm this is yet another non-example where someone is guessing what might happen in the future.

3 Likes

If only they released a 4K package but 1/2/3 instead of forcing you to pay for the 4 screen one to get 4k, or 2 screen for basic 1080p.

I’d potentially pay or at least definitely pay for months here and there to catch up if I could get 4K on a cheaper plan.

2 Likes