Netflix Chat

I feel they made the right call in making it three seasons for His Dark Materials. The pacing felt solid to me. I enjoyed the show a lot.

There’s obviously some overlap in characters but the Book of Dust feels quite distinct from His Dark Materials to me.

No reason they can’t still adapt it down the line.

1 Like

Haven’t read the books, though I now own the complete set. But I absolutely loved all three series, and I couldn’t believe the kind of topics it covered. This is a YA series? Good grief! But I felt that Pullman (and also Jack Thorne who adapted it) has done a cracking job at telling a very complex, but compelling story. And I must be getting soppy in my old age - I may have cried at the end. Just a little.

1 Like

I think Netflix has updated their FAQs for when they will stop account sharing

Unsurprisingly, it isn’t going down well, mostly because Netflix seems to be living in a different world than everyone else and doesn’t understand people travel. It’s a joke.

Seems perfectly reasonable to me.

To ensure that your devices are associated with your primary location, connect to the Wi-Fi at your primary location, open the Netflix app or website, and watch something at least once every 31 days.

3 Likes

It’s probably only reasonable to you because it doesn’t impact your life at all.

There will be plenty of people this will impact through no fault of their own, so therefore, it is unreasonable.

You get awfully worked up about Netflix enforcing the rules around sharing of accounts. You get really angry every time you post yet another link about it.

For the tiny few that travel for more than 31 days at a time, this will be an inconvenience. That is a tiny amount of people.

4 Likes

I don’t get awfully worked up. I’m pointing out the clear unfairness that these policies create.

I would probably be impacted as a student moving between uni and home.

And so what if it is a small amount of people? That doesn’t make it right.

Life isn’t fair sometimes. If this impacts you badly enough then unsubscribe.

Netflix isn’t required to make it easy to share accounts, they are trying to mitigate it and this is what they’ve come up with and now it will be harder to share an account.

1 Like

I know life isn’t fair. That doesn’t mean people should just shut up and accept everything without any complaints. If that were the case, there would be no reason for the majority of this forum to exist.

It is be harder to share accounts, but also cost more for perfectly innocent people. It’s completely unreasonable and is evidently a step backwards.

Part of the benefits of streaming was the flexibility to watch anywhere, but Netflix clearly doesn’t care about making their product better anymore. Netflix is just living in their own world where no one travels for any reason.

How many people are not at home once every 31 days?

1 Like

I just VPN into my home network when I travel, right?

Simple enough work around.

Not a fan of the policy though. It’s a very dumb attempt. And because it can be mitigated folks will get around it, so it only really inconveniences the genuine users anyway. It’s like the government’s attempts to thwart encryption.

2 Likes

I don’t know, I know a lot of people that share Netflix accounts with people. There’s someone who has a profile on ours and has done for years who will now need to get her own account now.

I think it will stop a lot of that and therefore make them a lot more money because I doubt many will abandon Netflix.

2 Likes

Unless you invite them round once a month.

1 Like

As I said, they’ll be needing to buy their own now

3 Likes

Such drama! Woe is you.

As for your example, it doesn’t matter whether you are a student or not. You always have a main place of residence. You would just change it from year to year (or over the summer) to you main residence.

if your account is accessed persistently from a location outside of your household, we may ask you to verify that device before it can be used to watch Netflix. We do this to confirm that the device using the account is authorized to do so.
To verify a device:

1. Netflix sends a link to the email address or phone number associated with the primary account owner.
  2. The link opens a page with a 4-digit verification code.
  3. The code needs to be entered on the device that requested it within 15 minutes.
  • If the code expired, you will need to request a new verification code from the device.
  1. Once successful, that device can be used to watch Netflix.
  2. Device verification may be required periodically.

What exactly is the hardship here? Why are you so upset? Why is it unfair?

4 Likes

You go ahead and let it out of your system buddy!

But, ultimately the only real way to voice your dissatisfaction is to vote with your wallet and unsubscribe. If enough people do so, they’ll get the message. Otherwise, if the demand is inelastic enough, they’ll ultimately chalk it up as a net win.

2 Likes

Finished watching Treason. It was… fine. Nothing amazing, but ticked along and didn’t outstay it’s welcome.

2 Likes

I agree, it wasn’t as exciting as it first looked like it’d be. I watched to the end and was glad it was relatively short!