N26 Discussion

If I’m reading this right, the EU’s style guide says that the € symbol precedes the amount in English, Dutch, Irish and Maltese, but follows it amount in all other official languages:

Position of the euro sign (€) in amounts

The euro sign is followed by the amount without space:

a sum of €30

NB:

The same rule applies in Dutch, Irish and Maltese. In all other official EU languages the order is reversed; the amount is followed by a hard space and the euro sign:
une somme de 30 €

4 Likes

Have spoken to them on their DM, they basically ignored my complaint about him being given access first and said I’m on the list but they’re not sure when exactly I’ll get access.

Haven’t seen anyone else get access, all a bit weird at this point.

1 Like

I was referring to the original 1999 guidelines. It seems at some point they carved out that exception. I stand corrected :sweat_smile:

Tough the N26 app still incorrectly displays the symbol on the left when the app language is Spanish or french

Are you saying the app is giving you UK region localisation because you’ve set the language to English?

1 Like

Exactly, language set to English for the reasons explained above, but location set to Portugal, meaning I should still be getting euro symbols on the right and commas instead of dots. I don’t know whats the ridiculous in it

You need to file a bug report, the app isn’t obeying the region setting - it’s this on iOS?

1 Like

It’s Android. Already filed reports, talked to N26 through multiple channels and they always make up a justification to say everything is ok.

Even worse is the timezone issue where in the app everything is in the correct Portuguese/UK timezone, but notifications are in Germany’s timezone. I get a notification that my phone marks correctly as being from 8am, but the notification text talks about some transaction at 9am, then in app it’s 8am as it should, but using the web interface it’s 9am again.

N26s upport is unfortunately pretty poor and when I can convince them to finnaly submit a bug report to the relevant team, then the dev team writes me “explaining” that I’m doing something wrong, need to reinstall the app etc.

I replicated all these issues on an iPhone running iOS 11…

1 Like

The original 1999 guidelines also stated that the plural of euro was to be ‘euro’, plainly ignoring the fact that every Italian would automatically say “euri” and English speakers would default to “euros” as their language conventions dictated (and probably similar in other official EU languages).

These have, obviously, also been relaxed over time.

I’ve always understood that the plural of euro is euro. I don’t think it matters about convention. It’s the same as sheep! :smiley::sheep:

1 Like

So when I write it like this €1,200.00 it’s incorrect when writing euros.

Not if you’re English or Irish.

I just got back from Ireland and noticed that everyone there says ‘Euro’ as the plural. It sounded weird to me at first but now it’s stuck.

1 Like

The point is both €1,200.00 and 1.200,00 € are the same and both are fine. Just like EUR 2.5 million and EUR 2,5 Millionen are the same.

1 Like

But then, everyone complains if you write 100£ instead of £100 :wink:

1 Like

It’s just not how we do it here. I suspect, but don’t know, that it comes from way back when, when you could have something like £1.3d or £1.3s etc (pre-decimal currency) and this was to make it more readable - otherwise 1.3£/d or 1.3£/s would be how it would be and it just doesn’t seem a very effective way of writing.

We just kept it once we decimalised. With decimalisation comes the lack of a need to say what the second ‘currency’ is (ie. pence) as it can ONLY be pence (eg. £1.20).

Personally I think £1.20 looks nicer than 1.20£ but I’m very aware this is just how I’ve been brought up in the UK to think.

3 Likes

I remember pre decimal money (or “money” as it was callled then), but I’ve never seen it written like that.

1 Like

There were various ways of writing it, but that was certainly one of them.

However which way you look at it, if you’re showing a £ too, it makes a lot more sense to put it at the front, since there were two possible ‘currency’ amounts to come after.

It’s sort of like opening and closing of a bracket, or speech marks - the £ ‘opened’ the currency and the s/d ‘closed’ it.

1 Like

That would look funny if you were writing in English, as the punctuation conventions of the language have the currency symbol before the amount. But if you were writing in Portuguese or French or … it’s entirely reasonable (imo) to write 100 £.

1 Like

Not so much. Since primary school, at least here in Portugal kids are taught to write the £ or $ before the amount and when kids ask why, the answer is that it’s just how the British and Americans do it so we should respect that when talking about amounts in those currencies.

I guess since in English adjectives also come before the noun, as an example, we just take it as another instance where in English it’s the opposite of what we’re used to with Latin languages

1 Like

Technically, that would be £1.0s.3d and £1.3s.0d (or 23/-)

2 Likes

Regardless, like I said, I suspect it’s just a matter of clarity from lengthier currency amounts.