N26 Discussion

Be interesting to know if they will accept it as the terms clearly say

using the Current Account Switch Service;

1 Like

It might say that there but it’s not what’s on their website or what I’ve been told so :man_shrugging:

No, it does not. They need your direct consent to do a hard credit check and that is something that leaves impact on credit score. Hard credit check is done only when you apply for “credit”. Currently N26 does not offer any kind of “credit” anyways. Having N26 account won’t affect you.

Be careful with this advice. Many members have reported a hard check being performed by N26.

1 Like

Really doubtful. I mean, I am not for or against N26, but we shouldn’t spread rumors.
I have N26 account with Black card and they have not done any credit checks so far. As far as I know it is against the law to do a hard credit check without the clients permission so I really doubt that N26 would do that.

I would just stick with Monzo and Starling. I mean, why not support UK banks…

It’s not a rumour.

N26 hard checked 100’s of people initially, before “downgrading” it to a soft check - They admitted their mistake, it’s there for everyone to see.

Also… There will be a lot of people who don’t realise that signing up to a new bank account will leave a hard check on your credit file.

Starling, Monzo and N26 (now), don’t do a hard check unless you have ticked the “I want an overdraft” box - But again, I doubt many people will realise that.

Lastly… One of the things that credit agencies look at is the “average length of financial relationship”…

If you have 1 bank account for 5 years, that will look good.

If you open 4 new bank accounts “just because”, all of a sudden you’ve gone from an average of 5 years, to an average of 1 year… That’s not so good.

Other factors play a part, but I don’t think you can give definitive advice here.

4 Likes

Can’t blame the bank tho. On the other hand current accounts usually don’t imply having a “credit”.
Somehow I didn’t get the hard check anyways :thinking:

Only if they do a hard credit checks. No reason for hard credit check if that is a current account without a “credit”.

My recent foray into switching bonuses yielded a hard check with HSBC and Barclays.

I didn’t apply for an overdraft with either.

This is beside the point - It’s not about the checks here, it’s about the average length of time with your bank.

If you have 1 bank for 5 years, your average relationship will be 5 years (there are other factors like phone contracts etc, but lets ignore that for now).

If you open 4 new banks to try them out, your average relationship will go down to 1 year, which will be a potential flag on your credit report.

It may make no difference what so ever (it hasn’t seemed to affect me too much) - But it does show as a “things you could improve” when I check my credit reports.

Website says: Switch Bank Accounts | Current Account Switch | NatWest

Just use the Current Account Switch Service to close your account elsewhere and switch to an eligible account with us before 7th June.

Just saying they have a case if they do not pay out.

A far as I remember that is the case of “basic bank accounts” vs “standard bank accounts”. Basic bank accounts are not “reported” to the credit agencies as they do not imply any “credit” relationship.

1 Like

Basic bank accounts are reported. At least Barclay’s and TSB are.

There is switching to NatWest and then there is switching to NatWest with their switch offer. I see that as 2 different things.

This is on their FAQ for the offer and I’ve spoken to them on the phone. I don’t see what the issue is here…

1 Like

Might be worth moving this little convo to a related credit agency thread (@coralcrew)

I think you may be confusing credit checks, with reporting.

Basic bank accounts may not hard check your file (I don’t know), but they will report to the agency that you have an account.

The same can be said for a normal bank account - They may not hard search (some do, some don’t), but they will all report to at least one agency that you have a bank account with them.

1 Like

Somehow I couldn’t find Monzo on my report :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
Will check then…

Monzo only appear on your TransUnion (Noddle) report.

Some bank appear on all 3, some only 2, and some 1.

In the credit reference agency thread, there is a load of info about it :smiley:

Ok. Will look at Noddle then :+1:

1 Like

I’ve bitten the bullet and asked them to close my account.

They didn’t seem to be making much progress and compared to Monzo and Starling their offer is not worth having a dormant account open.

2 Likes

I’ve just done the same. Sent them the form and requested printed statements to be provided. I’ll see how that goes.

My first experience with them was them sending me someone else’s tracking number showing their name and address. Hope my statements find me at least!