N26 Discussion

You’re maybe generalizing a bit too much. I haven’t seen any N26 card here in Portugal besides mine and I would be really curious to see their numbers outside Germany. Stuff like paying for accounts are an immediate turn off for most people here and stuff like ATM limits are totally unheard of with traditional banks. The only thing fintechs can add over traditional banks besides intangibles like software experience is free fx, which is something no traditional bank offers, except for one or 2 credit cards on the market. That’s probably why Revolut is the only fintech gaining some traction here, tough only with their free offering.

I would hope fintechs start adapting their offerings to local markets just like traditional banks do when expanding to other countries

Good summary… Nothing I disagree with however I am coming to this as a N26 EUR user, uninvolved with the GBP launch.

For me, N26 has been great… On a par with Monzo, probably a bit friendlier and nicer than Starling. It may be a little less feature dense than either UK fintechs but nothing I really miss. The addition of a maestro card recognises different countries have different spending solutions.

Launch is huge… Bungling it will set them back and early adopters and initial reaction is vital… But in Europe they have been great with me so I can only comment on the product I have used.

1 Like

Yeah, I get that feeling a lot.

I think it’s helped N26, that the challenger banks in Europe aren’t as good, and the existing banking system can be a bit ropey (even compared with the UK high street banks!)

That’s certainly the impression I get, so I can see why N26 in Europe would be a good fit for a lot of people.

Unfortunately, for anyone who has experienced FinTech in the UK, N26 are coming up mightily short on many factors.

There’s a long way to go though, so a lot can change!

2 Likes

I think the ‘arent as good’ could well be true when looking UK to UK… My EUR N26 signup, onboarding, initial use… Customer support… Replacement card… Etc etc hasnt been any significantly worse than UK fintechs. Starling was slower CS (they appear to have improved that wait time a little) the style of apps is personal preference (Starling strictly business, Monzo more ‘app’ UI/UX, N26 in the middle).

I am not in any way disputing that the UK launch may have been a mess, I didnt experience it (even tho I tried to and do want dual EUR / GBP… Come on Starling !!) just trying to say that I dont feel the EUR N26 offering was only working in europe due to worse options.

1 Like

Just because they catered to Dutch users with Maestro doesn’t mean they’re doing the same for everyone else. I still can’t get an answer from them as to why they can’t provide, on request, a maestro to a non Dutch user.

The sense I get from N26 is that it’s fine if you are in central Europe where banking is not feature rich and just not having to pay through the nose for banking will make a lot of people happy.

If you’re outside the Netherlands, Germany or Austria you’ll already have other free options and the German centric support and way to operate will definitely show. They can’t even account for not every costumer of theirs not being in the same timezone as Germany, making a mess out of the timeline and having the same transaction appear with different hours depending if you’re looking in app, in the notifications or on the Web interface. And that’s just one of the problems…

3 Likes

My Euro N26 account gets 15 Eur per referral that spends 15 Eur on the debit card

After a half hearted UK launch, N26 is off to Brazil! :brazil:

1 Like

Interested to hear how many UK users they have

Tried to apply for an N26 account back in November right after the UK launch (have never had an issue getting a current account before, or indeed after the N26 incident), but after several weeks of the app sitting on the “verifying your information” stage, I got a very short and unhelpful email from N26 saying:

Subject: kyc.notification.email.rejected.subject

Apologies, but we aren’t able to open you an N26 account. As a bank we have to follow strict legal requirements for every account we open. Unfortunately this decision is final and our Customer Support cannot make an exception or help you further.

Thanks again for your interest in N26 and we wish you all the best.

Your N26 Team

Suffice to say the “no, you can’t have an account, we won’t explain in plain English why and we will have no further correspondence with you ever again” (and yes, I tried to get clarification for why I couldn’t have an account and was stonewalled by them) wasn’t very helpful. It is entirely N26’s right to refuse an account to anyone , but it would be nice to know a bit more about why.

I have had no problems opening full current accounts with other organisations since I tried to apply for an N26 account.

If anyone has any clue what happened here, I would be genuinely interested in what you think went wrong.

Thanks
Chris

2 Likes

Monzo too has Apple Pay :smiley:

Not when the post was made, in December 2017.

1 Like

I’m testing it out currently, love the app really clean and everything so far works flawlessly for me. Also having the web portal is really nice.

They’re working on bringing all features to the UK obviously that’ll take time, the UK launch didn’t go great at all but I think eventually when everything is in place (and implemented CASS) I think it’ll be a great product.

I have an N26 account but can’t see I’m blown away by it tbh

1 Like

Must admit, I struggle to get excited by the app. “Clean” is often quoted. To me that translates, at least with N26, as minimal colour and not a whole lot going on. :flushed:

3 Likes

One thing that annoys me about N26.
If you have tried to use there support chat…
If you close it while waiting for tee (edit the) agent to respond it tells you if you’re not back in 2 mins it will close the chat.
Can’t it just notify when the agent has responded.
Took 8 minutes today of me having to pop in and out of the app :joy:

1 Like

I’m not 100% convinced by the whole app chat thing… I’ve not used N26 yet but I used Starlings the other day and it was so tedious… I was only asking for an update on an email Id sent them 5 days earlier and it took the best part of 15 mins to get an answer from them, and that was after the advisor had started chatting to me… I swear they were making a cup of tea or something…

I much prefer the Monzo style chat… it’s like using whatsapp or messsenger… much better because at least you can go away and do something else whilst issues are being dealt with in the background.

2 Likes

:joy: I have thought the same sometimes.
I’ve even asked if they are still there

1 Like

so I’ve sent money via BACs from my top cashback account to my N26 to will see how that goes :crossed_fingers:t5:

I had a look at N26 a few months back and it looked an attractive proposition. I’ve just opened up N26 website and to be honest, it contains little information, indeed it just doesn’t jump out at me as in any way being informative. In contrast, both the Starling Bank and Monzo Bank websites do give a potential customer plenty of information.

Also, BREXIT has put me off of opening any form of Euro based account and unfounded or otherwise, would still put me off of opening an account with N26 or indeed any bank based outside of the UK, but that is obviously a personal decision. I’m sure they’ll be plenty of UK customers join, but at the end of the day, it’s not for me.

just got my BACs payment to my account and it landed in @ 12am