Moving Cash In & Out Of the UK

Despite EU rules supposedly having to be implemented equally across the union, you just have to look at how the Italian Law to implement this was passed:

“Anyone entering or leaving Italy and carrying cash of an amount equal to or greater than €10,000.00 shall declare that sum of money to the Italian Customs Agency.” - There is no distinction between EU and non-EU countries.

"In accordance with Legislative Decree 195/2008 there is a limit to the transport of cash to Italy. It is possible to freely enter or leave the Italian soil carrying an amount of cash (banknotes, coins, traveller’s cheques, bearer negotiable instruments, etc.) lower or equal to €9,999.99

Under Art. 3 of the Decree, anyone entering or leaving Italy and carrying cash of an amount equal to or greater than €10,000.00 shall declare that sum of money to the Italian Customs Agency." - There is no distinction between EU and non-EU countries.

1 Like

Yes. Tulli is how they call Customs in Finnish (and Tull is how they call it in their second official national language, Swedish)

1 Like

hmmm you’re right, Italy seems to ignore the EUs rules - maybe the floundering banks had some hand in it to try and stem the outflow :slight_smile:

• Currency Transfers

No declaration is necessary for personal transport of currency or negotiable instruments at a value of up to €10,000. For amounts exceeding €10,000, an appropriate customs declaration form can be found on the Italian Customs Agency’s website.
Download the declaration present it, completed, when entering or exiting Italian territory.

1 Like

Is that not due to anti-mafia legislation in Italy though?

Just realised that we are so far from the original topic that we need a map to get back. It’s been interesting though

2 Likes

I find that very common when looking at customs, tax, banking, etc sites. The people implementing rules and writing localized guidance don’t know how to read or understand legal-ese. Even in the UK previously I found a Government department incorrectly interpreting the Law and had to take the Attorney General and other parties to the High Court to prove my point. So even if local customs authorities and/or offucials are interpretting or implementing EU rules wrongly, it is easier to just go along with them (as a Monzo user had to in the past when paying for a family function in Italy, as discussed in another thread) than incurr the time, effort and cost of having a legal proceeding in that country against their Government’s ministry.

1 Like

No it is not due to Mafia laws but it is down to how their domestic Legislative Decree 195/2008 implemented the EU Regulations (the number of which I can’t remember off the top of my head)