More Beautiful Direct Debits in Your Monzo Account

Seriously unhappy with this. Wake up this morning to see an unexpected payment to BT for an amount I do not recognise. Check my BT account for recent payments and don’t see anything related. Assume the worst and contact support. Wait almost an hour for a response to find out it’s actually for TV Licencing and a new bug.

Bug or not - really disappointed. Messing with the transaction data to the point it’s misrepresented is awful for end users and in my case caused undue concern. Also I appreciate it’s night time hours but nearly an hour to a chat I flagged as urgent isn’t great either.

10 Likes

As someone who does stuff similar to COps, I’ve just deleted a draft rant about response times.

Instead, how were you planning to contact BT at 4am if it was BT to blame?

1 Like

Given that I said I checked my BT account and looked at the transaction history for recent payments and found none I was leaning towards strange/fraudulent activity on my Monzo account over a BT fault.
It also isn’t my normal payment date and they always email me before taking payment. It was also a different amount.

Had BT been at fault I’d have contacted them when they were open.

Really though, that was the lesser of my gripes, the main issue is they messed with the transaction data and created a misleading situation.

2 Likes

Had a DVLA direct debit for tax come out this morning. Although the direct debit is beautified in the payment section, it still comes through without the logo and tidied up name.

So… H3G (Three Mobile) now comes up as Three, with the nice logo etc.

However when I click onto the latest DD and look at “Your Three history” and see “Number of direct debits 5” it seems that everything is perfect. However upon clicking “Number of direct debits” it doesn’t show my history! :frowning:

What happens instead is a search is performed for “Three”… Which of course doesn’t return results containing H3G. If I manually search “H3G” in the app I do indeed find all 5 payments (4 = H3G, 1 = Three)

Bit odd, bit janky, hopefully fixable :slight_smile:

Just thought I’d give a bit of feedback here :smiley:

4 Likes

Shows this in DD list

IMG_0834

Came thorough as this

IMG_0833

1 Like

Mine was the same for DVLA! :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

@daniel.cannon Seems to be a few people with some incorrect logos/names which has led to some worry about correct bills. An idea when these will be fixed?

1 Like

More than just incorrect logos.

This was my TV Licence one.

1 Like

Hey everyone :wave:

We fixed the discrepancy between BT and TV Licensing overnight.

To sum up what happened: TV Licensing direct debits were “beautified” using BT information because of a mistake our end.

We’re really sorry and we know how important is to display accurate information to not cause unnecessary concern. We’ll do better next time!

@nexusmaniac good point abut the search results from within the transaction screen of a recently “beautified” payment. We’ll need to address that one.

@anon72173902 and @ASKendrew, I’ve just fixed this morning’s British Gas and DVLA Direct Debits for you. It’ll take us a while to get all the variants right. Consider that card payment enrichment is still an ongoing and (partially) community sourced effort, and we started this over one year ago. We’ve only just started with Direct Debits.

8 Likes

Thanks for responding so quickly! :smiley::sunglasses:

I look forward to seeing this happen - It’s not the be-all and end all but it was quite surprising to see “5” and then only have search display 1 :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Appreciate that it’s still in an early form @francesco. The DVLA direct debit is correctly showing now in the feed:

IMG_7F6DAF7C5EE0-1

Thanks for sorting and responding so quickly! :smiley:

1 Like

How far out are we from some beautification beyond the initial batch of 50?

It’s a minor thing, but it’d be nice to get some more intelligence especially with categorisation. Today, my monthly Bristol Energy Direct Debit came out.

• Most importantly, it wasn’t categorised as a bill, and never is - I have to manually categorise it.
  • No logo, obviously.
  • It’s truncated in a really strange way. Their legal name is Bristol Energy & Technology Services (Supply) Limited. This gets truncated in my feed to ‘Bristol Energy & T’ which looks a bit odd.

It would be nice to see at least categorisation, if not logo and friendly name, for all major banks/energy suppliers/councils/etc.

5 Likes

Does the bank truncate the name, or is a restriction imposed by BACS and that’s just the maximum length?

Liam

1 Like

Fixed now.

I had 3 DD come out today, all categories wrong.

Sky = Entertainment
Three = Bills
Gas = General

1 Like

Surely Sky is Entertainment :wink:

1 Like

I guess it could be deemed a ‘bill’ for some, depending on the services taken. Rather subjective so I wouldn’t necessarily say the category was wrong.

1 Like

It was a joke hence the emoji…I would say it was a bill

I like the idea of the direct debit logo on direct debits, but aren’t most transactions card payments for most people, so having the MasterCard logo on card transactions could really clutter the transaction list?

@anon72173902 I’ve fixed the category for Sky
@GalaxyMergirl I’ve fixed the category & appearance of Bristol Energy (you may need to log out and back in to see it!)

We’re looking at getting in-app feedback up and running for Bacs-related transactions, but it’ll be a short while before that is in place :slight_smile:

6 Likes