Monzo vs Starling vs Chase vs Others - 2022 Poll!

Lots of chat on here about Chase and its financials offers, and what that might mean for Monzling.

Only one thing to do… poll!

Which bank has the best app?
Not interest rates, not features, just best app. Think design, think responsiveness…

• Chase
  • Monzo
  • Starling
  • Other

0 voters

Which bank has the best feature set?
Not the app, not interest rates, just features. Think cheque imaging, think pots, think budgeting…

• Chase
  • Monzo
  • Starling
  • Other

0 voters

Which bank has the best rates?
Not the app, not features, just the best commercial offering. Think interest rates, think fees and charges…

• Chase
  • Monzo
  • Starling
  • Other

0 voters

Which bank has the best customer service?
Not the app, not features, not rates, just excellent service. Think response time, helpfulness, ability to resolve issues first time…

• Chase
  • Monzo
  • Starling
  • Other
  • Don’t know

0 voters

Finally, what you gonna do?

• Switch to Chase from Starling
  • Switch to Chase from Monzo
  • Rinse Chase for their offers but not move
  • Do nothing
  • Do something else (explain below!)

0 voters

1 Like

Customer service:

Took Chase 45 mins to respond yesterday, information was sufficient bar the agent saying they do offer the switching service then sent me to a paper form. While she’s correct, I’d have hoped me initially saying CASS, she would say no they don’t accept.

Took Starling 17 hours to respond to 4 questions in the same message, very vague answers and didn’t really respond in full.

Took Monzo 1hr 30m to respond to my last proper interaction via chat, and gave a full descriptive response to my query.

Not bias by any means :sweat_smile: think just pot luck.

As for the do something else, Starling is looking to be our joint account so there’s potential I’ll move a lot there.

5 Likes

Incidentally, if anyone wants to run these poll elsewhere, do feel free. There’s an understandable Monzo bias here!

8 Likes

For CS I’ve had both sides of it with Monzo but without Chase or Starling accounts, hard to balance. Voted Chase purely based on hearsay on here really

1 Like

Closest option maybe “rinse Chase for their offers but not move” but that isn’t accurate for me because for all intents and purposes I’ve essentially moved over all my spending to Chase, rounds ups and cash cash savings (ex premium bonds). The only function Monzo serves for me since September 2021 is servicing the small amount of direct debits I have that I can’t be bothered/don’t see a need to move. Also my salary still goes into my legacy bank account. Monzo is the hub I guess as I send salary from legacy to Monzo then above monies to Chase. If Monzo removed that annoying trends upgrade thing blocking the graph in summary I’d maybe use summary more but other than this Monzo is dormant.

7 Likes

I’ve only had to test Chase a few times. Usually just to ask a quick question that’s probably answered in the FAQs. But in each case the first agent was knowledgable, and able to deal with my query all in a few minutes.

The most pressing query was to ask them to raise my withdrawal limit to the real cap of £1250 per day reported online. The agent wanted to know why, asked some standard questions and had to hand it over to someone who could approve the request. Took about an hour to wait for someone to come back, but then it was just a case of them confirming what I’d asked, and approving it.

Monzo take hours and always have to escalate it which adds more time. Not had to use it recently, and folks on here have commented that it’s improved quite a bit!

Starling are just… bad. They don’t know anything and want you to go away. That’s all there is to say about their approach.

For the final poll, I chose do nothing, but to elaborate, I’m already using Chase for most of my spending, and Monzo has remained my primary account handling bills and subscriptions, and that hasn’t changed. The savings account means I’ve emptied Marcus and Atom. I’m debating where I go in the future though. Chase is looking quite attractive that I’m prepared to give them a shot at being my primary bank, at the same time I’m satisfied with my setup with Monzo and don’t want to disrupt that. We’ll see what Chase do next, but they’re on the right track for me.

8 Likes

I’m finding that I’m using Chase for spending (for cashback and roundups), and savings, and Monzo for everything else. I’ve taken to sending from Monzo to Chase the exact amount of each transaction so I can keep Trends up to date.

My preferred outcome would, I think, be for Chase to have open banking and to continue to use Monzo as my hub. I actually think Monzo has an opportunity to do what Money Dashboard, Emma and Lumio haven’t quite cracked, whilst leaving me the flexibility to move spending etc to whichever dumb pipe is currently the most economically advantageous.

3 Likes

likewise i dont have a starling account and have no desire to have a chase account what so ever so my vote for customer service was based purely on monzo thankfully ive never had the long wait times others seem to experience

That sounds like an admin nightmare; what’s the average frequency with which you do this would you say?

Personally, I just send the once lump sum a month over and that acts as my budget.

Agree but don’t we have to be Plus customers to even benefit from Monzo’s open banking connection feature. Personally, not enough value add for me to pay for banking, and I’m not quite sure what it would take.

Open Banking can’t come soon enough and it’s bound to come first with an integration between Chase and Nutmeg. That’s a pretty good combo given I’m technically still a Nutmeg customer (inactive as of new tax year today as just opened a new LISA with Dodl by AJ Bell).

4 Likes

Great poll.

Since I can’t rejoin chase yet Monzo tops it, and actually would’ve anyway. The only thing I’m less fussed about is plus and premium.

The former is underdeveloped (I.e hasn’t really changed and still feels “padded out” to justify the cost) and the latter would only be useful if the phone insurance covered family phones too.

Let’s see what the next 12 months brings

2 Likes

Yes, but I’ve really grown to love it. All the kinks have been ironed out now and it’s a really well built and robust implementation. Can’t fault it aside from limitations beyond their control. It went from being among the worst implementations I’d seen when it launched with Monzo Plus, being a downgrade over the old free version it replaced to being probably the best. Whoever took charge of this component post-launch should be very proud of their team.

5 Likes

Truth

2 Likes

This is true. But I’m still worried about velocity. They can’t stand still, they really can’t.

4 Likes

I’m on a Premium which just about works out for me.

But if it didn’t, I think I’d still consider paying for Plus. At the moment, it just works better than Emma or other aggregators for me.

If they add in more functionality to Trends, bring in advanced goals (I want to set a goal for my Chase Savings, add it as a manual account and have Monzo calculate and set up a regular standing order to meet my goal), and rethink budgeting and forward planning (roll in committed spend with Das Budget’s concept of expenses) and then Monzo would really be more about the hub than the current account for me. And I’d pay for the privilege.

(Other wishlist items remain rules based transfers, and integration with wealth management, share trading and asset tracking).

2 Likes

I have Monzo for wages and dds and subscriptions. I also have plus is great for virtual cards and open banking. I use Chase now for savings and spending.

3 Likes

I think plus is great for what i use it for the virtual cards are good for netflix etc and now that you can pay from pots with them even better , monzo is my only bank and unless some thing uterly fantastic comes out to beat it i dont see me finding the urge to leave , found out in the space of 3 short months that the bricks and morter banks just dont have what i needed

2 Likes

The Chase app is pretty nice but feels like an earlier version of the Monzo app. It’ll need to keep changing to accommodate feature growth unless they have some grander strategy as yet unheard of. For support, Chase has been fantastic and near instant to respond to any of the random questions I’ve had for them so far. 100% the best experience I’ve had with a bank since Monzo in the Beta days.

Monzo (imo), has the best app design & feature set if you pay for Plus. At that point you get one of the best feature sets on the market, but the design has a bit of a wibble as it tries to find places for the features.

For hard & fast banking however, Santander still feels like a more robust choice for me with most of the bases covered in their app. First direct has an almost identical app to theirs with the addition of Cheque Imaging. As someone who deals with cheques often - that’s a winning feature alone and one I’m really disappointed that we haven’t seen materialse more widely. Posting cheques is a faff and if I’m going into town I’d rather just pay it in at an ATM.

Starling for me was just a dud sadly, I found no reason to use the account and no benefit to having it. Closed it when Chase came along and only remember it exists when people mention it here now. Their customer service was nonexistent, features were limited and app was dreary to use.

I’d rank Monzo top for overall but it’s still missing imporant things on the people and feature sides that’d place it above all else. I think they can do it, they just need to… y’know… do it. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

If Chase offer open banking I’ll probably make the switch. Only reason I’m still using Monzo is because I can see all my accounts in it (and I’m paying for that ‘privilege’…) I’m presuming they’ll also integrate Nutmeg at some point, so that’ll be another account in one app.

I do all my day-to-day spending on credit cards, so the cashback Chase are offering is nice, but eh.

4 Likes

Considering you’re very pro-check-out-FAQs-before-you-use-a-human this surprises me. It’s known on here and on the Chase website that they don’t currently offer CASS :thinking:

2 Likes

I’m aware of CASS but I asked when they would be looking to join, out of curiousity.

1 Like