Starling Discussion & Feedback

Have I said anything rude or obnoxious?

not turning a blind eye at all :slight_smile: , there are users that come onto the forum complaining about all sorts :slight_smile: I have joined some of them :slight_smile: some have come on saying they have bad credit history and went bankrupt or near and then complain that they cant get an overdraft even though they are responsible for 15 bn pounds of investments under management - they didn’t even know that accumulation funds dividends were taxable :slight_smile: i.e. they are fiscally aware ??? I demand an overdraft :slight_smile: :slight_smile: , why cant Monzo offer them an overdraft ? - - this is a Monzo head vs heart thread I am perfectly happy that Monzo offer the chance of users to share in the banks success and note Starling aren’t - take from that what you will - its my opinion of the thread title :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

1 Like

My concern at this point is that someone is deleting my posts wholesale.

Hey there, criticism of Monzo is perfectly alright but most of your posts seem to be focused on saying how rubbish Monzo is for not providing specific services etc., bearing in mind it would be unreasonable to demand a new bank for immense limits that you’ve mentioned before (buying a Bentley or a private jet) or specific privileges that are only available on credit cards with really high membership fees or premiums. None of the fintech banks would be able to offer this at the moment, while legacy banks can because they earn money through offering specific services/ charging for bounced DDs/ overdrafts/ investments etc.

Also, despite criticising regular users on here for being “toxic” and “won’t hear any criticism”, I would like to point out that on your previous thread before, you refused to accept any explanations as to why you might not have been offered an overdraft by users and staff alike, instead harping on the fact that you are “immensely wealthy” and that Monzo would fail if they did not plan to earn money through overdrafts. You refused to respond to the statements even if they were logical or factual (some investors/ regulars had not been offered overdrafts too), calling them personal attacks.

There are lots of people on here comparing different fintech products and obviously there will be people who prefer Starling over Monzo. You made several good comparisons as to why you feel Starling is a better product than Monzo, but others might prioritise other features eg IFTTT integrations, coin jar, better search/ budgeting options. Why not leave the discussion at these comparisons instead of harping over an overdraft you don’t need, as you previously mentioned? Simply rubbishing everything and making sweeping statements isn’t the way to do discussion.

Posts that have been flagged by the community are not deleted, they are simply hidden. Your post is still there pending review by staff and if it doesn’t violate the community terms, they won’t be deleted. No user on the community has the ability to delete comments, so I wouldn’t be worried about censorship if that is your concern.

20 Likes

I am delighted to hear that flagged comments are not deleted, however making them invisible would seem to have the same effect,

Where is the rubbishing and sweeping statements? All I have done is to list 7 or 8 things that Monzo and Starling offer. It seems to me that on all points Starling does as well or better, and although I have been the subject of numerous nasty personal attacks for saying so no one has yet disputed my points.

" Setting up: Instant for Starling, wait list for Monzo."

I dispute your waiting list comment :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Someone did

2 Likes

Well played, Jennings

thanks Nick :slight_smile:

I worry a bit that you might be looking for an argument. I don’t want that to come across as confrontational, but it seems to me that you have come into a place where people are genuinely passionate about a product and - I’m paraphrasing - telling them they’re wrong.

As I said earlier, I just don’t think there’s a right or wrong here. A monopoly would be rubbish (in my view) so I wouldn’t want everyone to be on Monzo (or on Starling, or with whoever…). Objectively, there are some features that one has, and that one doesn’t. That’s okay, too. Healthy competition is good. And I hope collectively they are driving better standards and creating additional choice. I’m sorry if I’ve taken things in the wrong way, but it feels a bit like you’re just waiting for folk to argue with you.

As for the forum, maybe I’ve grown too comfortable on here, but I think we have a good balance of constructive criticism, a bit of creative tension as well as thanks where thanks are due. I also like the this forum is becoming more of a general platform for discussing fintech, banking and other areas (we’ve had Transferwise on here, Starling Gurus hang out and so forth…).

I also like that we can disagree. The thread that @alexs pointed to about Summary is a great example. Many of us don’t think it’s perfect yet, but we’re jumping in with ideas about how to make things better.

That’s not to say that the forum is perfect. There are fans, yes - you get them everywhere. There are cynics and critics. In my view both are really important. But they need to be bound together with constructive engagement and civil dialogue.

14 Likes

" Interest: 0.5% on Starling cash, not much, but better than 0% on Monzo"

I dispute your 0.5% thats only the first ÂŁ2000 :slight_smile:

1 Like

No, they didn’t. I put up a list of specific points,

That’s true, but it’s still better than 0%

3 Likes

I’m guessing this is how you made your billions?

4 Likes

Interest on Monzo pots (similar to starling goals) is coming soon in the next few months.

4 Likes

nick , nick , nick it does just appear on the face of it you have come to be confrontational and argumentative - life too short :slight_smile: it really is :slight_smile:

8 Likes

No one is disputing your points about the comparisons, because that is your personal experience and what features and services you might prioritise in a bank may not be what someone else prioritises. Those are points people have also brought up before and you’re perfectly entitled to prefer one over the other, or vote with your feet and take your money elsewhere, if you dislike the product. The debate started when you made the claim:

Essentially making it out to be like crowdfunders being really defensive of Monzo just for cash. There are lots of instances of investors pointing out things they may not be happy with/ points for improvement on the forum and you simply need to look at a couple of threads to see this :+1:t3:

Personally, I don’t see how a single criticism of Monzo on the forum would affect how much Monzo is sold for. I mean, look at all the Trustpilot reviews. If that affected Monzo greatly it would have crashed a long time ago. There really isn’t a conspiracy to censor alternative views, and criticism doesn’t get deleted.

6 Likes

I’m not sure if we are using different definitions of the word ‘disputed,’ but your waiting list point and your overdraft points were disputed (in my view).

4 Likes

lol nick nick nick give it up :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

6 Likes

You’ll be delighted to know, that I agree with this.

2 Likes