Starling Discussion & Feedback

And build a smelting plant to melt the coins?

2 Likes

Whaaat ??

So Iā€™ve used my phone to photo (scan?) Ā£200 in tennersā€¦

Then I shredded themā€¦

Now whatā€¦?

1 Like

Beans on toast for the next month

5 Likes

Like it :joy:

particularly nice with some curry powder in the beans

5 Likes

Any particular?

I make my own from scratch rather than get a tin

scratch is so versatile :wink:

2 Likes

Credit where credit is due. Starling really does know how to blow its own trumpet.

Itā€™s an article largely of hyperbole but itā€™ll do them no harm. Hackneyed references, also, to millennials. :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Where can I get scratch?
Or should I make my own :thinking:

3 Likes

Yep, all very stereotypical from the writer.

Also why do they always say women giggle? Never laugh or chortle but it has to be giggle. Iā€™d never thought about it til now but it does seem out of place

3 Likes

Very interesting read.
The only part with leaves me with a bad taste is where Anne Boden says that her company ā€œis more seriousā€ than one of her competitors - due to Starling not having a prepaid programme, but rather launching a current account from the beginning, or due to them offering business accounts and payment services.

As far as Iā€™m concerned, both of their offerings are great, and Iā€™m sure both a bright future ahead of them. It just boils down to different strategies and technical choices. However, I canā€™t help but feel that sometimes, the Starling CEO comes across as arrogant to me.

7 Likes

a lot do giggle, but I knew a large woman who would guffaw

4 Likes

Part of legacy banking culture and Iā€™m guessing she needed it to get to where she is now

1 Like

If Monzo really was so casual and not serious, then she wouldnā€™t perceive them as a threat.

if sheā€™s hanging on to the idea that Monzo is, in some way, not a serious competitor to Starling then I suspect sheā€™s going to have a surprise.

2 Likes

Iā€™d love to be a fly on the wall next time they get together for a coffee and a chat

1 Like

Yep, I agree.
And I actually think Starling has a great product in its own right - I also have a Starling account, and Iā€™m looking forward to when their Euro accounts launch, hopefully later this year.
However, one of the reasons why I use Monzo as my main account is this (in my view) unacceptable attitude.

2 Likes

Soā€¦for the last six months when a lot of you here accuse (?) Starling of being more ā€œseriousā€ and ā€œformalā€ and ā€œmore like a legacy bankā€ ā€¦ Itā€™s now unacceptable when they say it? Leaves a bad tasteā€¦ arrogant (TCB anyone?) Give me strength. Go outside and have some fresh airā€¦ They. Are. Banks.

3 Likes

It doesnā€™t matter. Of course both are banks. Did you even read the article, and my post in response? You donā€™t seem to understand the context. Go read the article, and then come back and comment. Itā€™s ok for them to be more serious - thatā€™s an internal business decision. However - thatā€™s not what Iā€™m referring to.

The article refers to one of their competitors (and it really doesnā€™t matter who they are) of being less serious. That, in my view, is unacceptable. Itā€™s an unwritten rule - you just dont defame your competitors in public. Instead, you highlight what sets you apart.

It somehow doesnā€™t feel like it amounts to defamation.

The reference to ā€œseriousā€ isnā€™t fully described and itā€™s easy to dissect an interview without getting the full context. Regrettably sheā€™s on a hiding to nothing on this forum. Unless my memory fails me, Starling was vilified for providing services to the DWP.

5 Likes