Starling Discussion & Feedback

Being a US citizen is still a violation of their terms and conditions:

That said, they now have support for registering reporting requirements and I haven’t heard of them kicking anyone out for doing so.

Exactly the same here. Monzo feels like it’s stagnated with the features, but it was the lack of Apple Pay which made me think about Starling. I can’t help but feel this is a bit dangerous - I wouldn’t have even looked at another Fintech if Apple Pay had been a thing and now I’m actively comparing Monzo against a bank which is much more feature-rich… in fact the only thing I’m missing is Monzo.me. The more I use Starling, the more bare-bones Monzo feels.

(It really is quite tragic how excited I got when I realised you could future-date a transfer to their equivalent of Pots…!)

It’s back to the whole head/heart argument though: I really do enjoy being a Monzo customer because I think have the ethos spot on… but I need the features of a bank of the future alongside it too, and without them, the end experience is a little empty. :confused::confused::sob:

5 Likes

I got ridiculously excited about this too…

Maybe I should go out more. :see_no_evil::see_no_evil:

…and take your Starling card with you? :grinning:

3 Likes

Don’t need it - I’ve got Apple Pay now. :wink:

5 Likes

In my humble opinion the people at Monzo made huge mistake not too prioritise Applepay, so many people including myself swapped to Starling for this reason only. It was a way from me to avoid getting out card to which I did not like the colour and I did not suit my personal style. I got so excited when it was supposed to be released early in 2017, that affected my trust with Monzo. Trust is so important in every aspect of life.

4 Likes

Who said anything about early 2017? Certainly not Monzo, they’ve famously not said anything about Apple Pay. And being as the proper current account has only been available to all in the last couple of months I don’t see how it would even have been possible to release it a year ago.

3 Likes

I thought there was talk about releasing it on the prepaid at one point?

1 Like

Any source?

Afraid not. I said thought, not am sure. Was hoping it would jog someone’s memory. Possibly an old version of the roadmap? Of course, that was never intended as a promise.

I think Monzo categorically said it wouldn’t be for prepaid as they didn’t want to do dev work twice.

3 Likes

Ah, my mistake then.

Apple Pay doesn’t need a current account in order to work, hence credit cards working with Apple Pay.

3 Likes

For reference…

April '16

Jan '17

Nov '17

Jan '18

5 Likes

Ah, so in '16 they did imply it would happen on the prepaid. I thought I’d seen it somewhere in Monzo history! It makes sense as it got closer to current account rollout to wait, though.

@M1cky - yeah, it’s just that - why build something on an infrastructure you’re about to scrap?

3 Likes

Bonus:

3 Likes

I agree it seems a waste to introduce a feature that will be scrapped only a short time later. I was only pointing out that it wouldn’t have been impossible on the prepaid system

I don’t think anyone said it would have been impossible :slight_smile: There are tons of prepaid cards on mobile wallets!

This was what I was originally responding to

Ah, sorry, bad turn of phrase. I always knew Apple Pay would never come to pre-pay because it would be retired.