Starling Discussion & Feedback

:eyes: Any clues to what this work is? :stuck_out_tongue:

Just a general revision of the chip profile to improve compatibility, security, and satisfy new requirements. Weā€™re adding a new card manufacturer to our pool and that requires a round of certification of the new cards so weā€™re taking the opportunity to update the chip settings too.

Sorry itā€™s not too exciting. :wink:

14 Likes

Iā€™d count that as exciting! :wink:

2 Likes

This sounds exciting!

Not when the chip profile is generated in an Excel spreadsheet :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

They also donā€™t require full access to your contacts for features to work properly.

1 Like

Is it just monzo.me which requires access to contacts (seemingly) unnecessarily?

1 Like

Shared tabs and opening a joint account are the first two that spring to mind.
Basically, Monzo seems to have full contact access built in. Less than desirable for the consumer, in my opinion.

2 Likes

Starling have launched integration with Onedox

2 Likes

Wow i thought onedox was on the outā€¦ guess not.

Really like the idea lets see how it goes, could be a real coup here for Starling and Monzo seems to be playing serious catchup now.

Main question will be what is harder to catchup onā€¦ tech (Monzo) or customer numbers (Starling)?

3 Likes

It doesnā€™t give you much info in the Starling app, but it does let you launch the onedox app directly!

Now that is a good question, but I think on balance I would prefer more customers as there are not many suggestions (certainly not from me) that Monzo do not have the expertise to match in the cases they want to

Interesting move by Starling. No surprise that bill switching is big part of Monzoā€™s market place value prop. Do you think Monzo will integrate with the likes of Onedox to provide this, or will they build they own bill switching capability?

Iā€™m happy to say that after a year of starling as my main account, I have switched to Monzo. I like starling, but saying Iā€™d be banned for a year from starling if I switched was ultimately what made me leave. Iā€™m not a fan of being held to ransom by my bank.

9 Likes

Not exactly held to ransom, you left

5 Likes

Good news is that Monzo have built their contact access with privacy in mind, so your data isnā€™t exposed (even to Monzo). :tada:

Iā€™m not sure why you keep complaining about the contacts access, and not acknowledging itā€™s done in a way that is secure and doesnā€™t expose the personā€™s data? Itā€™s not like this hasnā€™t come up before when youā€™ve raised the issue (click the :arrow_down_small: to see the full quote). :wink:

7 Likes

Iā€™m personally less keen on it because it shouldnā€™t be a requirement to enable contact access for something like monzo.me, which is just a web link.

I also donā€™t want/need all my random contacts showing up in Monzo, mostly its stuff like ā€˜Dave the Electricianā€™ or ā€˜that guy I worked with for 3 days a year agoā€™.

6 Likes

Itā€™s not true that it doesnā€™t expose some data about you.

It tells people with your number and an account that you have a Monzo account and lets you find out if any of your contacts (or in fact anyone whose phone number you have obtained) has an account.

Thatā€™s not terrible, but the fact itā€™s really unnecessary makes it problematic.

Previous discussions have not convinced me in particular that full contacts access is necessary.

3 Likes

This is the most bizarre piece of logic :joy:

6 Likes

If thereā€™s a reason for leaving then fine. But it says that was what ultimately made him leave. Itā€™s like Inception :rofl:

Seriously, you can use any bank you like, you can leave accounts dormant, you can switchā€¦ plenty of options. A policy of having a 12-month waiting period before you can open an account after closing one seems sensible. Why would anyone want to close, open, close, open, etc. accounts with the same bank? It costs nothing to leave it dormant. If you donā€™t want to leave it dormant and definitely want it closed, then what harm does it do you to have the 12-month policy in place? Odd :thinking:

8 Likes