Starling Discussion & Feedback

@Rat_au_van is cool Monzo member due to her excellent cat profile picture.

3 Likes

That is true. But it is only one among many reasons.

1 Like

Serious(ish) question: @Demmedelusive, did I read on the Starling forums that the Gurus popped in to have a chat with Starling folk recently? Is it a regular thing to go in and have a chat about how the community thinks that things are going?

@Jackcrwhitney do you do similar (with Monzo, not with Starling, obvs)?

4 Likes

Yes, in fact we have a meet up fairly soon… There’s also the option to attend via Google Hangouts (if you don’t fancy the trek or would just prefer).
I believe they are going to try and make it a regular thing (if it’s not already), every few months or so.

2 Likes

We did, @Peter_G.

It was the first time the Gurus had met as a whole group. It’s not expected to be a particularly regular thing and was very much about looking at how the community is evolving - communication & suchlike.

No huge exposés about the product. Much more a get to know you (and come away heavy laden with merchandise :grinning:). Nice folk (probably, very much like their Monzo counterparts).

6 Likes

There ain’t no party like a S[tarling] Club Party :rofl:

2 Likes

Exclusive footage from the recent Guru meet-up, there…

3 Likes

Beats me where you hid the cameras :flushed:

2 Likes

personally I chat with them regularly even without a meeting, but I also chat to Monzo, Monese, Bunq, Fidor, etc staff regularly. I don’t regard myself tied to one particular bank…unless one of them gives me a job :wink:

6 Likes

now you have to guess which of the Gurus are which S Club member :rofl:

2 Likes

Oh gawd… :rofl:

2 Likes

Next you’ll be getting s club juniors when starling start children’s accounts … :slight_smile:

(Bloody hell, singing s club songs now)

1 Like

Whereas with most other banks, it would be a lot less than 1p. £2 at 30%, which is about the most expensive overdraft rate you would find, works out at 0.17p per day.

Don’t think it’s even close to most

HSBC - 17.9%
Barclays - 75p, £1.50 or £3 per day depending on amount of overdraft and type of account
Lloyds & Halifax - 1p per £7 borrowed which works out at 66.6% APR
RBS & Natwest - 19.89%, some accounts have a lower rate of 14.89% but I think they have monthly fees
Santander - £1, £2, or £3 per day depending on amount of overdraft and type of account
TSB - 19.84% + £6 per month if your overdraft exceeds £35

1 Like

Barclays is not free up to £1000, where did you get that info? It’s 75p a day up to £1000

1 Like

Sorry, I was looking at the Premier account. Yes, for the normal account, it is 75p per day up to £1,000.

1 Like

Tie-up between Starling and RBS announced today. Interesting to see Starling broadening their revenue sources away from customers directly and towards monetising their infrastructure

2 Likes

Now that Monzo’s big list is finished, what are the main differences/pros between the two? I’ve started on a few I know of below but it’s by no means comprehensive so please help me out!

Edit: Decided to update this as people post to try and make it easy for anyone else wondering. I’m not adding any planned or future features.

Starling

• Fee free foreign ATM withdrawals
  • Better payee management
  • Interest
  • Incoming international payments
  • Cash deposit at NatWest branches
  • Business accounts

Monzo

• 3D Secure
  • IFTTT integration
  • Budgeting
  • More open communication for future plans (and community forum)
  • Freepost address for paying in cheques
5 Likes

Still waiting for incoming international payments on Monzo, so that’s a difference.

2 Likes