Starling Discussion & Feedback

Any source?

Afraid not. I said thought, not am sure. Was hoping it would jog someone’s memory. Possibly an old version of the roadmap? Of course, that was never intended as a promise.

I think Monzo categorically said it wouldn’t be for prepaid as they didn’t want to do dev work twice.

3 Likes

Ah, my mistake then.

Apple Pay doesn’t need a current account in order to work, hence credit cards working with Apple Pay.

3 Likes

For reference…

April '16

Jan '17

Nov '17

Jan '18

5 Likes

Ah, so in '16 they did imply it would happen on the prepaid. I thought I’d seen it somewhere in Monzo history! It makes sense as it got closer to current account rollout to wait, though.

@M1cky - yeah, it’s just that - why build something on an infrastructure you’re about to scrap?

3 Likes

Bonus:

3 Likes

I agree it seems a waste to introduce a feature that will be scrapped only a short time later. I was only pointing out that it wouldn’t have been impossible on the prepaid system

I don’t think anyone said it would have been impossible :slight_smile: There are tons of prepaid cards on mobile wallets!

This was what I was originally responding to

Ah, sorry, bad turn of phrase. I always knew Apple Pay would never come to pre-pay because it would be retired.

Having been with Monzo from the early days, but never really using it regularly - I decided to sign up to Starling today to see what the difference was…

I have to say, the sign up process was an absolute breeze.

Signed up - ordered card, verified account and added virtual card to Apple Pay, all within 5 minutes.

Very very slick.

12 Likes

15 posts were split to a new topic: Monzo vs. Starling - Removed Posts

This post has been temporarily closed to give everyone some time to cool off.

As the guidelines say please -

Believe what the person is saying & do not attempt to disqualify what they have to say.

& avoid:

Ad hominem attacks (criticising a poster personally, not their post).

Hey all, I’ve now reopened this topic and removed a couple of posts.

Hopefully we can keep the conversation on-topic from now on :slightly_smiling_face:

We also have a general Starling Feedback thread for chat that’s less Monzo-related.

Thanks!

2 Likes

Monzo and Starling are direct participants of the faster payments scheme whereas Tide is not a direct participant and either goes via a sponsor bank or a faster payments agency.

2 Likes

Starling experience
I’ve just learnt that onece you switch from Starling you cannot move back for 12 months
Having been with them for six months, and to be perfectly honest I have been very impressed by the app and all it’s functions and so have been using it as my main account. I’m leaving due to the CS experience.
My personal findings is that CS is slow, sometimes not very informative, and you keep getting cut off.
The bank CS is still a long way from proving itself in particular when things go wrong or the customer is dissatisfied.
I was so frustrated in the end that I instigate a closure of the account. What you are not told is that you have no opportunity to move back to Starling if you have changed your mind. That is you cannot open a new account for at least 12 months. Again some Starling fans feel that this is only right. Why? . Surely you would want people to come back with the experience of what they found outside of Starling ?
I also find that if you have something negative to state on the forum you literally are jumped on by dedicated Starling fans.
A good quote is that ones Feedback is mainly subjective and based on
personal views; the bank has done nothing wrong .
I’m hoping that my Monzo experience may be a little more upbeat and lighter

8 Likes

Objective view: You’re costing Starling money if you close and reopen accounts. Why should they accept you as a returning customer? Presumably the act of closing the account was to send Starling some kind of message? Maybe they’re sending some kind of message back?

There’s always an option to keep the account open and dormant if you want to go and bank elsewhere. That would cost Starling considerably less. They’re a business, and this kind of customer affects their bottom line.

3 Likes