Monzo switching bonus

:+1: I do think that sometimes we stray into feeling quite entitled, but this one shouldā€™ve had some kind of announcement.

The fact that itā€™s an experiment doesnā€™t change that itā€™s something that Monzo said they wouldnā€™t do which theyā€™re now trying out. Doing that in secret does feel like a let down.

3 Likes

Yes @HoddzDJ weā€™ve talked about being serial switchers before. Iā€™m currently switching to HSBC for a free Ā£200. When itā€™s paid itā€™ll be for around 15 minutes effort. But I donā€™t have an account I wish to close so Iā€™ve had to create a burner account in order to switch.

So in order to get the free money I have to create work for NatWest (who themselves paid me Ā£125 switch bonus earlier this year) in opening a new account and sending me a card. That account will promptly be closed down during the switch.

Easy money, certainly. Lossā€“making for the banks involved, yep. Unethical? Depends where you sit on the ethical scale with these multiā€“billion pound banks.

But Iā€™ll leave the extrapolation to the reader with regards risk to Monzo, both in being the burner account and handing out free cash to freeloaders like me.

2 Likes

I do this too, my legacy is technically a burner with salary and DDs only, I donā€™t care who itā€™s with as I use Monzo for daily spend.

Just in the process of switching First Direct to HSBC for Ā£200.

I may keep that one to collect the final Ā£50 at the end, and Iā€™m planning on moving next year so need a short period of 3mths+ of paying bills.

Edit: snap (I managed to do this the phone, took about 45mins as he insisted on reading everything, still had to sign and show passport/driving in branch to confirm)

1 Like

So thatā€™s OK but to withdraw foreign cash or use card top ups with Monzo isnā€™t? Smacks of dual standards to me.

1 Like

Can you please explain your analogy because Iā€™m having trouble understanding how you think theyā€™re linked, or where you think I sit on those two topics?

1 Like

Carrying out activity that costs the bank money. In fact withdrawing foreign cash say is a usual banking activity. Opening an account just to benefit from a switching bonus or to carpetbag a mutual isnā€™t.

I make no inference as to where you sit on the subject.

On switching bonuses generally, reading this thread and acknowledging what has probably become an industry in itself (we even have ā€œburnerā€ accounts now?), I wonder just how banks are gaining.

Give you Ā£50+,
open your account,
handle the admin associated with it
close your account when you switch away
ā€¦and repeatā€¦

I wonder if thereā€™s a bank bold enough to say, ā€œWe wonā€™t tempt you with a few quid, weā€™ll try and give you a bank youā€™d be happy to stay withā€. I wonderā€¦:roll_eyes:

Go on, Monzo, be that bank.

9 Likes

There are no dual standards for me. I think by even making that comment you did infer my ethical position on those subjects.

Iā€™ll do what I do and itā€™s for any bank to make money from me. Iā€™ve been open on this forum that I use Starling (after a brief period where I tested their app whilst Monzo was lagging behind in features) primarily for free foreign withdrawals. If Starling can offer me this, and have worked out how to subsidise it, thatā€™s for them. I have no opinion either way on Monzoā€™s charging structure for foreign cash withdrawals.

Similarly I am neutral on topā€“ups. I personally donā€™t see thereā€™s any point to them, and I have never paid in funds to my Monzo current account using a debit card as I prefer bank transfer. It is a fact that it costs Monzo more to process topā€“ups and Iā€™ve pointed this fact out to those complaining they are going, but I have no opinion as to whether Monzo should remove them or not.

Youā€™ll notice I made no comment on Monzo actually offering switching bribes, but purely left my example in order to provoke discussion as to the pros and cons of these schemes. I was explicit that itā€™s a personal decision depending on where one sits on that ethical scale.

The High Street banks have artificially created a switching industry where it is normal banking activity for people like me just to benefit from free cash.

For the record, I personally donā€™t sit far enough along the ethical scale to support demutualisation of mutuals because I feel I and society gain more from owning part of those businesses. But if an alreadyā€“plc wants to give away its money, then I may as well take some. Hey, Iā€™ve even taken the free switching money from mutual Nationwide, but that transaction doesnā€™t lead to demutualisation.

My ethics are most probably different to yours. Thatā€™s life.

3 Likes

Burner accounts have been around forever, basically since banks started bribing to keep your money with them.

Thereā€™s almost aways a time period you canā€™t have held an account with them to stop repeated switching. HSBC offer at the moment is only for those whoā€™ve had previous accounts before 01/01/2015 or are new customers for example.

I personally really couldnā€™t care less if Iā€™m costing the big banks by switching to them to get Ā£150 here and there. They are there to serve me and Iā€™m agreeing to their terms of offer.

In this case its stick with us at least 30 days to get Ā£150, stay for the year and have another Ā£50. Itā€™s up to me if thats worth Ā£50 to stick or if a better offer comes along Iā€™m off. It usually doesnā€™t pay to be loyal.

If all banks completely stopped making these bribes, would I stick with them for their 5% interest savings accounts? :thinking: Maybe as its worth a Ā£80-100 a year, still probably better to put a few thousand in shares if you have it spare.

Monzoā€™s slightly different as I have account with them based solely on them providing excellent service, app and budgeting. Thereā€™s no legacy bank that does this atm. Iā€™m amazed First Direct came out top in the recent survey, they answer the phone quickly and are helpful but pretty crap in terms of website and app.

For now its handy keeping salary/dds separate.

1 Like

Perhaps a post by Monzo on A-B testing would be useful. By definition users will get different experiences and itā€™s really important that Monzo do this testing without the community getting all flustered. Itā€™s not ā€œunfairā€ to give users different experiences. Just ask yourself whether youā€™re happy with your own Monzo experience and donā€™t worry about what others are getting.

Monzo are making sounds business decisions on the back of this testing, itā€™s one of the things that differentiates them. We are part of their glorious lab, just enjoy the app!

3 Likes

Damn. I just switched my previous main current account Iā€™ve had since I was 18ā€¦ :frowning:

I think Iā€™ve pretty much had all of the incentives over the years from every legacy bank and it hasnā€™t made me stay with any of them.

I canā€™t do them anymore as I have done them all :rofl:

Itā€™s an interesting test by Monzo but I really hope it doesnā€™t end up being rolled out, at least for as much as Ā£50. I donā€™t feel like the product needs to be something so legacy to get people to switch to them.

5 Likes

Iā€™m getting instant transactions, nice app, friendly support, decent forum, budgeting, Google Pay support, and a nice bright coral card. All for free.

With Monzo, I wouldnā€™t mind if it cost me Ā£50 a year (~Ā£4 mth or 14p day) to have an account with them, let alone being paid Ā£50 to switch to them.

I wouldnā€™t say that about any other bank atm, not even Starling.

2 Likes

I think the problem is that because the forum harbours a feeling of loyalty, and because Monzo are ā€œtransparentā€ in other areas, a false sense of expectation is placed on them by some people (which is understandable).

With some things, it pays to get in early (a Monzo investment for example) - With other situations, it doesnā€™t pay to be an early adopter.

All of those people who have helped Monzo grow, contributed to the forum, submitted bugs, discussed what they had for dinner etc etc, are now watching people potentially ā€œgame the systemā€ and receive Ā£50 for their efforts.

Monzo needs to grow, it was literally their main goal from the previous report (for anyone throwing the ā€œlack of transparencyā€ card around).

You can see how hard the UK banking customer base is by looking at all the customer sticking with TSB after their issues.

I thought the Ā£5 that was initially on offer for signing up was a complete waste of time - The Ā£50 is still a hassle because of closing down your old account and instigating a CASS.

It almost caters for the people who were going to switch to Monzo anyway (in which case, the Ā£50 is just an added bonus).

I guess the only thing Monzo can learn from is perhaps setting slightly looser expectations - Iā€™ve seen comments along the lines of ā€œyou said youā€™d never do thatā€, which is true.

In the same way the ā€œyou can use your current account in the same way as your pre paid cardā€ was true at the time.

Unfortunately, in a relatively short time frame, as the business needs evolve, those comments become outdated, and are used as ammunition as an argument against the new policy.

I seriously doubt anyone who goes to the effort of signing up to a Monzo forum, want them to bomb - So if Monzo can benefit from offering Ā£50 for people to switch, and it actually makes a differenceā€¦ Crack on :smiley:

9 Likes

Thereā€™s concern that doing so would skew the data. I agree that finding out because a user shared on social media isnā€™t ideal either, though, and Iā€™m hoping we can find a middle ground!

10 Likes

Monzo were one vote short of being eligible to be ranked. Guess where we would have been :wink::raised_hands:

10 Likes

If Iā€™d have known I would have voted!

1 Like

It said there was a limit to how much of the Ā£25 could be handed out. I switched an account over and it completed Tuesday and the money was deposited then, Iā€™ve also decided to use Monzo more so setup a standing order for X amount to allow me to use it more.

1 Like

I think itā€™s to Monzoā€™s credit that they werenā€™t actively soliciting votesā€¦

2 Likes

Disappointing that I switched a single and joint account to Monzo a few weeks ago and didnā€™t get a switch bonus! Was it just random customers getting them?