Monzo should acquire...?

I actually don’t think it’s out of the realms of possibility regardless of the company being profitable or not. If there were a small business, that may already themselves be profitable, and acquiring them would be a better move for us than building out a similar offering, I am sure we would at least consider it.

Fun fact: The regulatory process for becoming a bank in the USA is so difficult and laborious that there have been instances where fintech companies with a lot of venture capital have acquired small local banks in any given state simply to acquire the license. I don’t believe that’s something we’re personally considering at this time, but it has happened in the past and so isn’t out of the realms of possibility on a wider industry scale.

2 Likes

Reminds me of the backwards drinking laws here in northern ireland. Drinking licenses are so hard to get here (generally one in one out) that some people actually buy smaller pubs in the middle of nowhere and close it down just so they can open a bar in say belfast.

1 Like

yep, that’s happened to 2 pubs in my village

Trotters independent trading acquisition would be good all round Monzo plus on the pay weekly…
Not an acquisition as such but could be the uk Apple Card provider

Everyone’s very serious in here today. Surely if an acquisition makes sense we’d want Monzo to do it?

1 Like

That actually happened here in the UK once in 2010 when Virgin acquired a tiny bank called ‘Church House Trust‘ (which had no branches) just to get a banking licence!

2 Likes

Cream of Tomonzo surely?

7 Likes

Moneystrone soup can be on the menu too :smiley:

3 Likes

ChipIn soup?

maybe ChipPin soup…

3 Likes

Metro Bank (cheap as chips since their scandals).

…to appeal to those who need to deposit 10 grand in cash every week and need dog bowls and coin machines before they’ll consider switching banks.

Aparently Lloyds are interested in buying them

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.