Monzo Points - Early Access [Trial completed]

I have had some okay offers with Santander actually. Had 10% off at Waitrose and 5% off at Sainsburys.
10% off at a few big chain restaurants that I very occasional go to but the thing i like about the santander offers is that most of them last for at least a couple of months.

So my point to Monzo is to try to make as many offers not time limited or make the time at least as long as possible.

Hate offers that are spend X amount TODAY to get X amount off. Forcing you to make an impulsive decision that you might regrtet

1 Like

Really like this idea. Happy to see points are progressing - this feels like an area Monzo really could improve a lot. As others have said, loyalty offerings from other banks are pretty lame. The main problems are treating it as an advertising channel, not a loyalty channel, and putting advertisers first. Barclaycard offers for example I never look at, it’s too much hassle.

Many large retailers have their own schemes and might be hard to entice, it’d be great to see Monzo cast the net a bit wirder and help small businesses with a loyalty scheme offer that was simple to set up, and applies to all monzo users. Something like sign up, register, and any monzo payments will automatically trigger x% off after x purchases - show the offer once in feed after first transaction, and on the transaction page every time as a reminder. Nice and simple, and customers would probably appreciate automatic loyalty like this, merchants can track how well it works and make money, and monzo makes money. You could then have loads of small shops sign up and monzo would be a friend to small businesses, not just allied with large retailers.

I’m unsure about offering rewards from rivals myself - this feels weird for the customer, and would probably really annoy those rivals. I can’t imagine where you’d put it, but I definitely wouldn’t want to have spam popping up like clippy in my feed - Hi, I see you shopped at Waitrose, why don’t you try Harrods instead? and IMO the transaction page for rivals would be a no go or they’d get annoyed - IMO the user should own the feed, the merchant should own their transaction page eventually.

Re where to start food retailers and coffee shops would be a great starting place.

Things I’d love to see:

• Offers near me - list of all the points offers nearby (must be user triggered)
  • Points for doing monzo a favour (cleaning up data etc)
  • Points for referrals
  • Points for regular spending (loyalty program)
  • Please have settings to turn off all notifications on this (separate from other settings)
  • Golden tickets for merchants to give out - if I can have a voucher code I can share with a friend for a discount, I think that’d be really cool. Often after a purchase I don’t want to buy more so a discount won’t work for me, but friends might.
  • Please try if you can to offer this as a service even to really small retailers (popups etc) - I was at a coffee popup the other day which gave me a card, if they’d instead been able to ping me something on monzo, and track how their referral scheme worked on monzo, that’d be great for small retailers I think, if it was proven to generate revenue, they’d probably pay for it.

Things I really don’t want from points/offers:

• Please don’t spam my feed with unsolicited offers
  • Please don’t require us to choose or activate offers by following links (except maybe shared vouchers)

Have a nice weekend all.

7 Likes

I really like American Express’s ‘Shop small’ initiative in December. Whilst I wouldn’t always go to those shops, with £10 spend gives me £5 back and that often includes pubs and bars. So I managed to save quite a bit by just choosing a different place for lunch, or a different pub with work colleagues.

Actually this year, three places I went randomly happened to be shop small so it was a lovely bonus.

Also I like how American Express is good at supporting local businesses more than other places. I see this just based on where I spend:

These kind of things would be great for Monzo to look into.

(Incidently The Mayflower is a great pub if anyone wants a small, ‘local’ feel)

9 Likes

This is a nice idea

For a loyalty program with small independent retailers Monzo might want to keep an eye on Pixie, as that’s their focus. They are very small at the moment (restricted to Bath and some nearby towns) but I believe they are expanding. Might make for an interesting future partnership. Judging by their card colour, they’re probably Monzo fans!

I use swipii quite a lot - they are Glasgow based company, that have lots of small retailers on now. It started off with QR code loyalty which you scanned on a tablet however it’s now linked to your payment card so you don’t need to remember to scan the card separately. Had lots of freebies off it!

2 Likes

I use Swipii a lot here in London, but I didn’t know it was linked to a payment card. Thanks :+1:

1 Like

Thanks just signed up to them.

Is there a way to see a list of the businesses integrated with them without before signing up for an account? I can’t see a list on their website.

Edit: Just found - https://swipii.com/swipii-locations/

1 Like

By far my favourite loyalty scheme is the Virgin Atlantic credit card. I have lost count of the number of free flights I have had, including in Upper Class. It would take a lot for me to move away from putting all card spend on there. It used to he possible to convert Tesco clubcard points to Virgin miles…I wonder if they’re still open to partnerships?

1 Like

It still is.

https://secure.tesco.com/clubcard/boost/virgin-atlantic-flying-club/UK-002179.prd

1 Like

My favourite rewards programme is American Express. The best offer I think I used for them was the Shop Small initiative to support local businesses (spend at least £10 and get £5 back).

Oh I’d love to see some Uber credits especially now Tesco are removing Uber from Clubcard vouchers.

4 Likes

Is anyone else super excited for updates on this now the bank holiday is over? :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

They must be as mine get converted into British Airways miles.

I meant Virgin!

Oh. The word ‘partnerships’ implied partnerships in general, not just the one.

I didn’t even know Virgin miles were an option :man_shrugging:

Looks like it’s being rolled out

5 Likes

Looks like I’m in!

3 Likes

Screenshot_20190508-085051_Monzo

:grin::tada:

3 Likes

Guess who’s going to Greggs more often this month? This girl.

2 Likes