Monzo Plus - what would you like to see?

Just a feed item in app.

Screenshot_20190508-205426__01

6 Likes

Thanks for showing us.

2 Likes

I’m guessing it’s not a traditional “waiting list”, vis, first come first served as some of us are still waiting from almost immediately after the list was available.

Wish Monzo would clarify.

3 Likes

I don’t see why it SHOULD a normal waitlist.

I thought the whole point was to select a cross section of devices, incomes, genders and many many more variables. Oh and a big one - non community members - who gave a very negative reaction to the launch.

1 Like

Plenty of community members have Monzo Plus though, including more active ones.

I don’t see the point in gating Plus when they already admit it isn’t as good as it could, should and will be. Clearly those who signed up already know that, but have signed up regardless.

Thus it’s only really a queue at this point, rather than a trial, and as such it should be a normal waitlist and those who jumped in early shouldn’t have to sit around while much later adopters find themselves with Plus benefits after a day or two.

1 Like

20190502_164346%20(1)

I enjoy the Lagoon Blue :blue_heart:

And the app looks lovely

Screenshot_20190504-182405_Monzo

13 Likes

That’s what I’m getting too, but I’ll be nice and wait until I’m back in the UK at the end of month so they don’t have to ship it across the Atlantic for me :us:

2 Likes

Yeah, I’m noticing that people from Monzo are quite active in these threads, yet despite multiple calls for an explanation they just ignore it. It’s false transparency, really.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m #fullmonzo, but some recent decisions just don’t sit right

4 Likes

I agree. Not just relating to Monzo Plus, it feels like they have lost their way in the pursuit of revenue - which makes me concerned about longevity. I want them to succeed, but the rapid growth has caused scaling problems IMO.

5 Likes

Did you read this post? Monzo Plus Roadmap for 2019 📅
Although I agree with the initial offering not being worth £3 but I think they explained what the plan is in that thread and everything makes more sense. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Received my card this morning. Anyone else notice the new chip? Making way for Post Office cash deposits, maybe? :wink:

I read the roadmap, yes. And I’m fairly happy with what they explained there.

What I’m unhappy with is Monzo crew flaunting their Plus cards while answering none of the questions about how they tackle the waiting list and who will be offered a place.

That combined with them raising the possibility that the introductory £3 price might be around for this week only feels like false advertising and transparency only when it benefits them.

I’d expect them to say when the introductory offer will end (pretty sure ASA has guidelines on that), and that people who got on the waiting list within a given timeframe to be offered that.

Otherwise you could claim it’s a prize competition or lottery, rules of which again, are regulated

9 Likes

They aren’t calling it a test phase, they said that they launched. As such, this is an introductory offer which is designed to get people on board while their offering is limited.

They also never said that they won’t make it available to everyone. If anything, their announcement implies they’re making it available to everyone gradually - suggesting that the waiting list will be a way to roll this out.

Join the waitlist

We’re making Monzo Plus available to customers gradually so we can learn as we go - join the waitlist to be one of the first in line!

I read the above as “we’re rolling this out slowly and we’ll roll it out to those on the waiting list first. And 99.95% of the waiting lists I’ve seen before go from 1st person to the last.

See Monzo Points for example. They don’t have a waiting list, and they made it abundantly clear that a select few will get access only. Unlike with this product.

I can also see a bit of favouritism going on - community members and investors seem to get these things first. I understand it, look after your own. But if you claim to be transparent and have a forum, then be transparent and not only when it suits you.

2 Likes

It’s described by Monzo as an “Early Bird” offer, or, to quote their announcement;

And to say thanks for getting involved so early on, we’re offering a discounted monthly rate of £3 for these core features. (We’ll change this to £6 a month later this year.)

Quite clearly this is not being retailed as a testing phase, but an introductory offer as ndrw suggested.

Again, to quote their announcement;

join the waitlist to be one of the first in line!

What they mean to say is “join the waiting list so we can arbitrarily overlook you in favor of Monzo employees and others who will post pictures of their shiny new cards to make you feel bad.”

I think, at least, we can both agree that Monzo need to be more transparent about how the waiting list works.

2 Likes

I’d have to agree with you here. The ASA have guidelines on this stuff, not only the promotional pricing and approach, but also the availability, and making a fair estimate of demand against the availability.

The fact that they have a waiting list (at last count) of 11,000 people and have only opened it up to about 500 seems like they have not really captured demand.

8 Likes

I’m not sure the ASA come into the argument for Monzo adverts though - as they are regulated by the FCA, as far as I was aware, the ASA Code gives general guidelines but the main regulations are put in place by the FCA, unless I’ve read it wrong?

I agree with most of what you’ve said, especially in regards to the length of the promotional pricing. Transparency could definitely be improved — heck, we haven’t even heard from anyone at Monzo since they posted the roadmap!

But, please don’t make unfounded claims like this — the only reason you know forum members have access to Monzo Plus is because they’ve posted about it.

4 Likes

Sorry I’ve contributed to that, I don’t work on the team so I don’t know the answers :pensive:

I was leaving that to those that do know rather than speculating.

Sorry about this. It’s confirmation bias and should’ve been ignored rather than included.

Don’t be sorry, it’s understandable that people are happy about their new cards.

It’s just frustrating that a thread is started and then left on it’s own without any further questions answered. I can kind of understand why Starling closed their community. Keeping up with it is an extra drain of resources while letting it run wild just makes the sore points more obvious.

4 Likes

Let’s see the chip :thinking:

Also I agree with the fact they don’t appear to be answering questions… I get they are busy but I asked questions in the Road Map thread and as if yet, I am still waiting for a response…

1 Like