Monzo Plus - Small Scale Trial

Car insurance alone is far greater than £11/month, even for the cheapest cars.

Edit: if you’re aware of somewhere that’ll insure me for that though, hit me up and I’ll give you a £300 finders fee.

6 Likes

It wouldn’t be short term. How would they make that money back?

5 Likes

If you only drive a few hours a month you could use Cuvva to insure yourself for just those hours, and maybe it’ll be under £11.

(Less of a serious suggestion, more of an illustration to support your point.)

3 Likes

Not if you hold a northern Irish driving license

3 Likes

They’re already running at a loss, that is their current strategy.

They need to be profitable before all their money dries up.

[Edit: the below was written and posted as an attempt to drag a thread back on topic, but then the posts in question were subsequently split and moved]

I’m confused.

The subject of this thread is “Depositing Cash at the Post Office.”

I thought the idea being suggested by @NeilM was that Monzo+ subscriptions could subsidise the Post Office charges, so that customers wouldn’t have to pay directly to deposit cash.

So how does making Monzo+ a loss-leader help that?

2 Likes

They are to help them become profitable, it’s another revenue stream.

Certain things have an aspect of economy at scale but that doesn’t apply to everything.

1 Like

Make your mind up. I can’t keep up with this
https://community.monzo.com/t/packaged-account-insurance-products/56221

3 Likes

The Lloyds package for context
https://www.lloydsbank.com/current-accounts/all-accounts/platinum-account.asp

As a point, using obviously throwaway figures from this thread:
£20 a month for a Plus product including car insurance
Car insurance costs £100 a month for one person here
Suggestion of getting 50,000 people to sign up

First years losses: 80 * 50,000 * 12 = 48,000,000

6 Likes

I’ve reopened the thread and removed some of the most flagged posts.

Let’s please keep it on-topic and avoid personal remarks. If we have to close the thread again we’ll leave it locked permanently. And that’s not what we want at all.

Great to see Monzo trialling these things. Much better than going quiet for months then rolling out Monzo Plus with no feedback or interaction.

Not mad keen on selling a ‘Plus’ badge as a ‘cool thing’ but I understand that will appeal to some.

And as is clear, finding the right offering will be the tricky point. As I’ve said elsewhere, personally I’m wary of paying customers getting access to ‘premium’ style features, and most times insurance offerings can be found cheaper elsewhere. At least until Monzo has the size and heft of a Lloyds to broker better discounts on bulk deals with insurance companies?

Anyway, looking forward to seeing what comes out of this trial!

3 Likes

I think he means breakdown cover, not car insurance. I’ve never seen a packaged account offer car insurance

5 Likes

^^This

Depends on your age group, car and where you live…

I’m under £200 for the year… maybe I’m just showing my age

It’s closer to travel insurance

How would £11 cover all that though? Seems unreasonable and may leave Monzo exposed, a rather expensive risk on their part surely?

And yes it would get a lot of interest, but is Monzo scaled up for a massive influx of new customers, who in turn will demand more of the service whilst it is still growing?

I’ll take fewer ‘perks’ and a sustainable banking service instead. :slightly_smiling_face:

8 Likes

£11 for all that would be very cheap!

For all of that, I’d be willing to pay more.

Ideally, being able to pick and choose would be fantastic. I would definitely go for numbers 1, 2, 6 and 7. Would be willing to pay more than £11 for that too.

4 Likes

Agree that a competitive package would bring some more customers just wary that if that becomes the focus then we end up with too many ‘features’ offered solely to tempt in new customers. It’s a balance, I guess.

I pay £9.95 for all of that with hsbc
Including the different colour card :joy:

1 Like

Which is kinda my point.

HSBC are a large global organisation who can negotiate huge discounts with insurance companies (presuming they don’t own them already), so the overhead is much much lower than it would be for Monza.

Would it be reasonable to charge £20? £25 a month for that? I think it would, but even then I’m not sure it would ‘work’ for Monzo in effect to their bottom line. Sure, to get more revenue it would tempt some people, but would it be enough people to balance out the cost and make them profitable?