Monzo Plus - Small Scale Trial

I’m going to throw my hat into the ring here, although I’m not in the trial £11pm for just travel insurance is way too steep. We have a a nationwide plus joint account so we can both benefit from travel insurance, mobile insurance, breakdown cover and a fee free overdraft buffer. All for £13pm. We do all our joint Banking with Monzo but we still have the account for the sole purpose of the benefits it’s offers for a low cost.

For us to jump ship the Monzo offer would have to be similar in price and offer.

2 Likes

I don’t understand why anyone - if they knew that something would be (in your words) “a complete and utter disaster” - would do it anyway? :thinking:

5 Likes

Good to see no lessons have been learned from last night’s debacle.

21 Likes

Moving the conversation on, what do we think about the card designs? Looks a bit like the current card with “plus” added and in different colours…

1 Like

I’m not hugely keen on the different colours TBH, I don’t think they’re hugely special enough (but perhaps that’s the point, to cater for those people who want a card that – in their opinion – looks more like a traditional bank card). I don’t think I’m the target market for that one.

1 Like

I think that’s because it’s exactly what it is :grin:

Nice. I’d like to see the midnight sky in the flesh though

3 Likes

The “midnight sky” card looks nice. A lot better than the standard card IMHO. It appears to be a similar shade to Starling’s business card, which I also really like. Very classy!

2 Likes

Thought the Starling card was black looking at the photos online, is it a very dark blue as well?

The problem is with the change of colours - that’s okay but no metal offering still even when so many people here said they’d willingly pay 1 off for it. Feels odd they are still sticking to plastic.

1 Like

That’s a good point, and one that @nexusmaniac has made a few times before.

For me, I’d rather some hot coral element to show some sort of “brand evolution” - but then again there’s been quite a few people who have taken against hot coral as a whole. Pleasing everyone is hard!

The midnight one would be the one I’m most interested in, i think. But I’d really need to see it in person (or at least a photo).

5 Likes

Yes, it’s very dark navy.

1 Like

What :monzo: Monzo has demonstrated is that the design team is not welded to Hot Coral at the exclusion of absolutely everything else.

Now I too would like to see a different colour for joint accounts, because this would be a genuinely useful, and unique, feature.

2 Likes

A lot of people have said the same in this thread

Not if it’s putting off potential customers

Isn’t there more important things than the orientation of the card? Or does that just apply to the card colour?

4 Likes

Do you have any statistical data that it isn’t? :thinking:
Numerous people have said on the forum
that it puts them off using the card

3 Likes

I’m not a hot coral fan. I’m not nearly bothered by it enough for it to affect my banking choices, but I’d really like a Monzo card in a less in-your-face colour. I get the argument that it’s good for branding, but I trust that Monzo can carry the brand into different colours.

4 Likes

I agree but many people suggest things that appear ridiculous to others that are still important to them and influence their decision making. Thus I don’t think it’s ridiculous but the importance to them is t something I necessarily agree with personally.

8 Likes

I think it’s similarly ridiculous to suggest that a card colour or orientation would make people want to use a bank, but I guess the take-away is that people like different things? :man_shrugging:

13 Likes

I’m not sure bright, garish colour is something that attracts people to a bank.

What do you want from a bank? Safe, dependable, trustworthy, experienced, reliable, honest, etc.

Does a strange, neon orange card say these things to someone who’s banked with Lloyds, HSBC, or whoever for the last 30 years?

Or, rather, does it suggest gimmick, fad, frivolity, novelty, etc?

Ps. Just to help you answer that question, they also use lots of emoji

Isn’t a selling point something that makes people want to use it?

Anyway, who knows. I really just want a non-hot coral card. If you want one in teal and rotated 90 degrees, I’m cool with that too. And even in metal, that might be OK also.

1 Like

I’d be more interested in a card that was less “plain”. Sure it’s a distinctive colour, but apart from that it’s a slab of boring basic plastic. Where are the cards with hot chip? Equally strong monzo branding and way more options to add some personality and differentiate card types than working through a colour chart :blush:

1 Like