Monzo Plus: a fresh start with some fresh faces 👇

@tomdavies

Why go through all this bother to offer something that will never be as good as the idea of a marketplace where an individual can go in and get whatever they want?

Make Monzo Plus a section of the app where you can purchase add ons plain and simple :man_shrugging:

21 Likes

I completely agree. Things which would cost Monzo extra, such as Insurance deals or lounge access, or even virtual disposable cards can be put behind Plus features, but it would be a disappointing move indeed if Monzo started putting purely software features behind a paywall.

18 Likes

I think the selling of the “supporter” type bundles is tacky personally. Any marketing materials should be given away at events or run online give-always on a one-off basis.

Monzo is just a bank, and the exposure Monzo has had now means it’s getting more regular banking customers onboarding, and if they’re anything like some people I know who have recently signed up, they just don’t care about this sort of thing and cannot understand why anyone would pay for it. And I completely agree with them.

I would, however, like to see a marketplace type structure. One product at a time available.

24 Likes

That was the feeling i got from it also… worrying to say the least.

10 Likes

Completely agree. You should never have to pay to get support.

26 Likes

Worrying to see the references to “Improved money management” in the survey. I would implore Monzo to go back to the Marketplace model - for example, offer travel insurance from a variety of providers (perhaps with different cover levels) and take a Monzo cut from the price. This model seems to work well with the Savings Pots!

14 Likes

Hello Tom.

I want you to seriously answer something for me. Isn’t Monzo Plus just a solution looking for a problem? Isn’t this product just aping what legacy other banks do, rather than innovating? You’ve had to scrap the previous project, which is rather embarrassing. Why restart from the beginning without examining the premise in the first place?

The idea of a random bundle of things that you pay for undermines the value of each of those things. If you have a product to offer - like a metal card - then offer people that product, for a price. Don’t bundle it with a load of stuff that they don’t want. And things like bundled travel insurance undermine the marketplace side of the business, confusing the product offerings in general and confusing the consumer.

Just because the old, legacy banks do this doesn’t mean that Monzo should.

57 Likes

I’m currently paying for the early bird with travel insurance. Luckily the interest is covering part of it but I’m slightly annoyed I never got an email when bundles got launched.

Hopefully 3rd time lucky

3 Likes

Thanks @tomdavies :hot_coral_heart:

Gang, it’s worth remembering we’re restarting and getting the pulse of the people who fill out these surveys and that:

Just because it’s mentioned, it doesn’t mean it will be a thing

15 Likes

I understand that, but you’ve also got to understand that even mentioning things like monetising premium support is worrying. To put it in the survey means Monzo have considered it…

25 Likes

I tend to disagree and think advanced budgeting features (etc.) should be paid for. In the same way you pay extra for HD with Netflix you should pay for advanced features.

E.g. get 2 custom cats for free but unlimited for premium subscription.

Monzo is not a charity.

2 Likes

:crying_cat_face: nope. Not interested in premium support.

13 Likes

That’s the whole point in having these surveys and gathering feedback though, right?

Most (if not, all) businesses will consider every option before settling on their approach, just because they’ve thought about it and are now asking the question doesn’t mean anything right now imo.

5 Likes

Agreed on support. I believe this should be equal.

10 Likes

I thought it was “Making money work for everyone” and not “Making money work for people who pay extra”…

24 Likes

Well if people don’t want that, go on the survey and tell them so.

4 Likes

“Making money work for everyone (who can afford it).”

12 Likes

Here we go again…:roll_eyes:

6 Likes

Can we keep on topic of Monzo Plus please :pray:

I realise it’s a hot subject but this isn’t the thread for that! Thanks :hot_coral_heart:

10 Likes

Seconded (or thirded or whatever).

This is a great example of where the test early approach doesn’t work. This isn’t just ‘functionality’ it’s a full product in its own right. What’s the ROI for Monzo, what’s the ROI for the customer? If they don’t work, don’t offer anything and drop Plus for now.

It’s already looking like you won’t be offering anything that breaks the ‘big bank’ mould so until you crack that nut, I don’t see why those of us who are paying for nothing, should continue to do so.

I really hope you can figure this out, but right now it does seem like you are still casting about for ideas/direction.

3 Likes