Monzo "outsourcing ... customer operations"

I’ve been rereading the latest Monzo annual report.

In a few places, there’s reference to outsourcing customer support. For example, p38 says

outsourcing some of our UK Customer Operations

Does anyone know any more about this? :eyes:

1 Like

I seen this commented in a review on Glassdoor saying the Romanian workers do all their work on chrome books :man_shrugging:t3::sweat_smile:

Edit:

3 Likes

Would also be interested to hear more.

Don’t want to be pessimistic, but given how bad support has become already, this is definitely concerning.

4 Likes

You might find references in the previous annual report. Monzo has done outsourcing in various forms or another since before I joined in August 2019.

3 Likes

I don’t have a particular issue with either chrome books or Romanians - or them in combination. But outsourcing on the quiet feels very unMonzo to me.

5 Likes

It’s been outsourced before, both in the U.K. and the US.

Of UK Customer Operations, Dan?

1 Like

Tell me more! (I know the US was technically a third party, but that @simonb went out there and made sure it was all very Monzo).

2 Likes

I’ll let @Dan5 do the talking, I don’t know what I can actually say aha.

But, there’s a lot in ‘customer service’. It doesn’t have to be frontline stuff although it might be (/have been :eyes:).

I’m sure whatever it is Monzo will still have a ‘strong hand’ to maintain the standards

1 Like

Yup - there are lots of people who I’ve worked with in Cardiff who worked together at Capital Tower (IIRC) who started as outsourced and made the jump to come work for us full time long before I joined.

We don’t shout about it - mostly because so much of it is commercially confidential. We partner with lots of different external organisations to help us complete work both customer facing and behind the scenes.

6 Likes

I don’t know why but I always thought customer service for Monzo was UK based. But I couldn’t say why I think that.

2 Likes

Mainly but not entirely, at one point there was (I think) a trial of using US agents to deal with U.K. queries in difficult hours for the U.K. (I think I’m okay saying this as it was talked about on the forum at the time).

Note this has nothing to do with any outsourcers who were all U.K. or US based according to the main market they were serving.

We had our own operation Vegas which was staffed by Monzo employees who worked directly for us - they handled nearly of all the work from 10pm - 6am.

Sadly it was one of the casualties of the pandemic: Monzo to shutter Las Vegas customer support office, 165 employees being let go – TechCrunch

Now we have a much smaller night team, all based in the UK which is why only urgent queries are dealt with overnight.

4 Likes

Vegas, much like Cardiff, transitioned to bringing all staff directly in-house after the first year or so.

I don’t know anything about COps in Romania (after my time) but I suspect this is probably not the case there.

1 Like

Do you have a £2k laptop then?

Curious after the review

1 Like

I have no idea what my laptop is worth at retail prices or any knowledge of the prices we actually pay 🤷

1 Like

Is it an Apple laptop Dan?

more companies should do this. I’ve worked with so many companies that hand out cheap laptops. Such a false economy, the time people spend waiting for them to load, struggling to make them work etc is far more valuable than the meagre savings they they make.

5 Likes

So the day teams are overseas? Interesting if so. Not that I necessarily would mind if I were a customer, but it might explain some things.

1 Like

No - I was just making the point that what Vegas used to do is now in the UK. Sorry if that was confusing!

5 Likes