Monzo no longer replying (yes or no) to requests to sell shares

I know officially you can’t go to Monzo, but I don’t think it would harm sending Monzo an email asking if they know why there’s no decision.

I don’t mean you should chase crowdcube , try getting crowdcube to actually escalate this and speak to a contact at monzo, it sounds like they are just waiting for a reply from monzo not actually doing anything

1 Like

I will send another chaser today and ask if they can update share holders if the policy has changed on “exceptional circumstances”

1 Like

I am facing exactly the same issue. I have given all the details requested and Crowdcube just keep saying they are waiting for Monzo to make a decision.

As of this week I am not even getting replies from Crowdcube anymore (unless the person is on holiday without a holiday auto responder). I have only been asking them roughly every 2 weeks for an update.

If only I knew when the board meeting/decision was going to take place it would help my stress levels a lot.

How about not selling… you could be costing yourselves a lot in future for a quick payout now.

Obviously we know that but circumstances dictate the need and you can only sell under exceptional circumstances so that should really give you an idea that this is not a rash decision.

Are you a share holder ?



You don’t have an investor badge / rocket against your name so was not sure :thinking:

It’s optional, we’ve not all gone for it :wink:


I thought the latest terms changed the need for Monzo to Approve?

This is really not acceptable for people struggling financially.

I don’t want to point fingers, but Crowdcube are being paid a (relative) pittance to manage the basic ongoing nominee formalities (such as holding the data in a spreadsheet and that is all), they have been screamed at by us for trying to manipulate their Monzo nominee terms towards charging transfer fees and so now they have zero incentive to invest their time and effort into facilitating a secondary market in Monzo shares.

I don’t know what the cause of the lack of movement is, but someone at Monzo needs to take charge of the situation as Monzo are ultimately at fault here.

I recall when they tried to recruit a ‘Crowdfunding Lead’ before the last round the job description said the person would transform into a community-focused shareholder ambassador after the fundraising was completed. However, they never recruited this person and gave the campaign management role to Crowdcube instead (presumably because Crowdcube offered to do it for virtually nothing as they were desperate not to be overlooked) with no follow-on shareholder ambassador role. This person is needed more than ever now.

Now that Monzo is growing much larger departments are getting siloed instead of cross-functional (as @tom spent many pitches claiming is something he hates about big banks) and now issues that don’t fall within any particular department or speciality like this one are being ignored by all the staff who have their own specific problems to deal with, whereas in the past there would be all rounders like @tristan who would tackle issues like this and get them fixed whatever the department it belonged to, but alas you can’t even summon these people like genies to the forum anymore as they are far too busy and rich and don’t care about the community anymore (prove me wrong guys :smiling_imp:)

If Crowdcube are sitting on their hands because of avoiding admin costs, Monzo need to either agree to pay them a fee to cover their costs or threaten to move the nominee management elsewhere / do future rounds with Crowdcube’s competitors.

If the fault is purely on Monzo’s end then they need to either sort out this dumb rule about waiting for a director meeting every once in a blue moon or they need to drastically improve the communication with investors.

Just to reiterate, this is not acceptable from Monzo.


“Dear Investors, we gave you plenty of warnings that an investment in Monzo would be illiquid.”

I don’t know how many people are asking for exception permission, but it does appear that it’s a significant degree more than the handful of genuine emergencies that Monzo perhaps expected. That would be my guess for where the delay is - too many requests to deal with gracefully - and that people who did invest sensibly but have now found themselves in exceptional circumstances have been caught out as a result.

tl;dr, Monzo shares are illiquid, everyone was told they were illiquid, everyone was warned about the risks. No-one should be surprised that shares they were told were illiquid turn out to be illiquid.

(ETA: for the avoidance of doubt, I am not and have never been an employee. Views are my own.)


To be fair, whilst I broadly agree. I think it’s perfectly acceptable. People on this forum don’t seem to understand that crowd funding into startups is incredibly risky and that you aren’t, in any way, entitled to get money back because you’re in extraordinary circumstances and didn’t put enough money into a rainy day fund, instead of investing in a startup.


Everyone’s entitled to their opinion, but I feel you are just being Monzo apologists and muddying the water, In order for anyone to actually read this and do anything we need to be clear that Monzo is not meeting its obligations to shareholders and needs to take action.

Imagine you supported Monzo in 2016 and now you are homeless or even dying of a terminal illness or something like that, would you not feel it is completely unacceptable that Crowdcube and Monzo just bounce emails back and forth for months with no intention of actually helping you to liquidate?

Monzo is wrong here and needs to put some of their huge resources into fixing it.

For the record I’m not looking to buy or sell shares so my opinion is purely thinking from a distressed seller’s point of view.

I bought shares privately in 2017 and it was a very easy process, to be honest. They seem to have since added a portaloo’s worth of friction to the process however, and it’s not fair to the distressed sellers.

Have people who have given these reasons been turned down?

1 Like

Fair point - I have no idea what people have given as a reason, but surely if they don’t think the reason is good enough they should reject it rather than bouncing emails back and forth.

It is falling short on professionalism and there is no one owning the problem at Monzo.

Update - heard back from Crowdcube yesterday afternoon saying that Monzo have asked for further information on the exceptional circumstances. To be honest I am not sure how I can provide more information on the reasons I gave and I have a feeling that it will just drag the situation on and on so I am going to spend my time looking at other alternatives.

HOWEVER, I do think Monzo should consider what Revolut did and allow people a one off chance to sell their shares. As Monzo is fully funded at the moment they could even allow a large investor the opportunity to Hoover up shares from small shareholders. Crowdcube could arrange and earn a fee in the process. There must be a lot of people from the first round who have substantial amounts of money tied up in Monzo shares (I have a fair amount myself) and that money could make a real difference to people’s lives.


Totally agree with you, if they had just said No I would have thought “fair enough” and left it there, it was the complete lack of communication that got to me and others.

1 Like

I have started a poll over on a new thread

I entirely agree. You bought an illiquid asset, deal with it. Monzo are doing nothing wrong


I think you are missing the point it’s the lack of a response that was the issue not the illiquidity

1 Like