Monzo Money Tips

+1 for less cringe

6 Likes

+1 for more cringe please.

I want my eye to twitch involuntarily when I read any of their posts.

5 Likes

Is it me, or is that logo bizarre? Doesn’t match an colour I associate with :monzo:, and the shape also doesn’t quite fit. :thinking:

3 Likes

Agreed - to be honest, if Monzo themselves hadn’t shared the page, I would have thought it was a fake/copycat.

3 Likes

Agreed. It looks odd, and it doesn’t make sense for Monzo to go off-brand at all.

3 Likes

Yep, that’s us! We’re trying a new approach with the page to reach folks who want to see and share everyday money tips.

We’re experimenting with tone of voice a little too. But we’ll avoid anything too cringey :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

This page still doesn’t feel very Monzo to me at times.

3 Likes

Is it being ran by a third party content wise? It does feel very out of place.

I guess it’s good they are playing with the tone of voice. Not sure I want my bank to act like a geezer down the pub though?

2 Likes

The posts seem to be more and more off-brand.

Not to mention, the person who shared the last few posts seems to have lost the Caps Lock key from their keyboard…

5 Likes

Yeah I really don’t think Monzo should be associating with the discussion around budgeting for Alcohol,Drugs etc.
I can’t wait for the Times to get hold of this :joy:

4 Likes

The hip new bank for paying your dealer. Just turn on pay people around me!

2 Likes

I read the article its entirety and its overall message is:
Buy drugs in bulk

2 Likes

Did you read the post directly above your comment :stuck_out_tongue:

I did - I still think its off-brand though. I understand they’re experimenting but I’m personally not a fan.

Actually yeah, just read the drugs article that refers to budgeting for cocaine and stuff :open_mouth:

The football one is fine but the other is not professional at all and I’m shocked that Monzo would want to be associated with it :confused:

What’s going on @cookywook please?

3 Likes

Agreed on the football one - I’m probably just being uptight. I can see the benefit of using a different tone of voice for different audiences.

It would definitely be interesting to hear the thinking behind the drugs article though. That’s what really surprised me.

2 Likes

I could do with some new drug related catagories for my spending… :joy:

Honestly, these are the sort of shares I’d expect to see from a page where either:

1. The person doing the job doesn’t give an actual shit
  2. Someone has been fired by still has access to the social media, so is having ‘fun’ doing off-brand posts for shits and giggles

As @FlyingDutchman says, the lack of caps is horrible. I’d add that the use of a profanity (however mild) is jarring, too. I mean, the football one would probably be fine if it instead read “Is your team rubbish at paying up? Read this to see how using Monzo can help.” or something similar and a bit more on-brand.

The drugs one is just wrong on all fronts. The main two being content that is likely to alienate a large section of the market, and that posting something only to add “do [sic] you agree?” is a shit rubbish attempt at trying to drive engagement (indeed, where I work, our social media guidelines explicitly tell us not to post this sort of thing where we’re adding nothing to the original and only asking for comments).

4 Likes

Looking forward to this handy functionality

11 Likes

I once made a cheeky reference to drugs and hookers on here (I forget the context, but it was light-hearted fun) and was asked to change my comment, because that kind of content wasn’t appropriate for the forum. Fair enough. I was happy to change the comment, there was a reason, it made sense, etc.

So to see a similar kind of thing being referenced on the social media channel is a bit of an about-turn in my eyes. Either we can discuss such “social spending” or we can’t.

1 Like