Monzo Metal Card

Paging @Rika for metal card update :wink:

2 Likes

Your update is that the manufacturing of these takes a very long time due to them requiring very different techniques and processes to make. :hot_coral_heart:

We’ll have more to share as things happen.

17 Likes

TL;DR…

:soon: :wink:

5 Likes

I assume the QA process remains basically the same regardless of card material?

They will go through some further physical testing (just so we’re confident, especially around how contactless performs) but the chip, contactless, and magstripe testing is all the same.

2 Likes

My mate’s just sent me this - anyone else received this message? (I haven’t)

It looks beaut but… ouch!

15 Likes

£70?!! :joy::joy::joy:

7 Likes

Ouch :grimacing:

5 Likes

Is it made from 24 carat gold?

1 Like

I was really looking forward to getting my first metal card, even though I essentially only ever use Android Pay.
A one off payment of £30, fine.
£40, a bit of a stretch but if they could make the card last longer or use software to change expiry dates, fine.
£70, when already paying for Plus? That’s a no.

12 Likes

Is your mate on TestFlight or the regular app?

Do you know whether they accessed that through a feed item or through the settings?

£70 is a joke. It’s not that premium. £30 is the absolute max I’m willing to pay

8 Likes

If that price is correct then why not add it as a monthly cost on the plus package?

There was a monthly option shown in the android beta strings

Id go for it at £40. Disappointed at 70. I was looking forward to the metal card

From the dump of strings in an android teardown it looks like there will be multiple ways to pay including splitting the cost

2 Likes

Pretty sure regular app rather than test.

I’m wondering if it’s part of some testing to see uptake rate of different pricing options or something.

4 Likes

Ah, I pressed it and it said wait. So looks like they’re just testing interest?

1 Like

If it expires then £70 is pretty steep - would’ve expected more in the range of £40.

If it doesn’t expire and is akin to what Apple seem to be doing with their Card then I guess you could go for £70 but having the ability to split the cost would be welcome.

1 Like

Was it a feed item?

1 Like