Monzo mentioned on Rip Off Britain TV show, Tuesday

Skip the rubbish and go to 28 mins in fact stupid story, guy gets tricked into giving details money taken then refunded.

For balance, some good news.

3 Likes

Strictly speaking, yes, I suppose, but then you lose the context. The principle of customer service still applies. I think a bit more sympathy for the poor guy might be in order. :wink:

Thing is this is nothing new, it happens with every bank and itā€™s widely known.

I have no sympathy in this case but then thatā€™s just me.

1 Like

There but for the grace of Godā€¦

Expect this thread to ā€˜disappearā€™ shortly, or my name isnā€™t Donald Trump.

Hi Donald :wave:

1 Like

:wave: Fake news. :grinning:

The only difference between a high street bank and a digital one, is that when you receive poor service from a high street bank you can go into branch and shout at someone, which may not resolve the issue, but will make you feel better.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve just seen this episode - did Monzo really tell customers to visit a food bank whilst they had locked their account?

I always find shows like this really annoying to watch. As someone who is perhaps more familiar with these services itā€™s very misleading to see the statements these types of scare-shows throw out.

Unrelated - Towards the end of the same episode there was a lady who was saying sheā€™s been charged an SMS subscription for the last 18-months - after the shows ā€˜investigationā€™ they said the reason was that a third party has somehow got hold of their number which has allowed them to make the small SMS charges which is absolutely not possible or the case at all. PayByPhone is a very explicit opt-in service and the most likely reason is user error. I admit that companies are sneaky but a user not reading the terms is not a company stealing money from them.

I think I might be a tad irritated if, having lost Ā£50K, albeit temporarily, my bank told me to have a nice day.

The so-called Pop Up Shop is a complete waste of time, with the ā€˜expertā€™ advice usually consisting of ā€˜I suggest you go awayā€™ or ā€˜Come back later, and Iā€™ll discuss it at Ā£200 an hour.ā€™ I donā€™t really think Iā€™d be going through the Small Claims Court to chase Ā£69.

I did find the electric car item interesting though.

Couldā€™ve happened to a customer of any bank, not just Revolut or another modern bank like Monzo. A bit harsh but I think a bit of common sense was needed on his behalf, perhaps calling them up from the number on their website to double checkā€¦

The ā€˜donā€™t log in for 24 hoursā€™ the scammer requested should have been ringing alarm bells!

1 Like

He was on a plane, anyway. Or can you use your phone on a long-haul flight/some airlines?

He wouldnā€™t have been on the plane when he got the phone call.

And you actually can on some airlines. Some provide you with an onboard roaming network connection where you can make calls for a premium. Some Emirates flights have a phone built into the controller you can use too. Or you could use the onboard wifi and use Skype or something.

I meant he was on the plane to Australia during the ā€˜suggestedā€™ 24 hour ā€˜leave it aloneā€™ period, not when he received the scam call. :wink:

When was this on? Iā€™ll try and watch it over the weekend.

Things that really annoyed me about that piece:

1. It was a scam that could have happened to anyone regardless of what bank you are with. I know his experience was with Revolut and also was a while ago, but to do the same these days with Monzo you would need to give out your PIN. And if you ever give out your PIN to anyone at any time then thereā€™s probably no hope for you!

2. The report says that he ā€˜Sent his Driving Licence and passport to them via the in app chatā€™ā€¦ ermā€¦ if he sent it to Revolut, then how did the fraudster get hold of it?

3. I know it must be horrible having that happen to you, but in reality, speaking to someone on the phone vs in app chat would make zero difference to the speed of an investigation.

4. Have they never phoned a high street bank before? The majority of them are dreadful. Some bankā€™s customer services I have been with have been hard to get through to, and often quite unhelpful. i have been on the phone to hours sometimes, getting passed around and being told conflicting information. And I can honestly say I have yet to have a bad experience with Monzoā€¦ they can be a bit slow to respond at times (but then I have never really had anything urgent) But every time they have been friendly and helpful, and have solved my issues.

1 Like

I guess there is always going to be bad experiences what ever bank or service you use, be it online or not but bad experiences posted online will always hold stronger with people than positive ones especially when it comes to money.

I for one hope that Monzo sort the CS issue out and prove to itā€™s customers that is it true to itā€™s word and can offer a service that has excellent Customer Service.

1 Like

Iā€™m pretty sure most banks include a statement when sending out SMS PINs too saying donā€™t give this to anyone or similar, too.

I admit itā€™s sophisticated fraud but I feel sorry for the banks (the poor, poor banks) that they get the blame for it.

This was a textbook scam. Gavin actually send a copy of his driving licence, and gave ā€œthe callerā€ his personal details. Basically Gavin ignored any advice banks give out and broke pretty much every single conditions of his bank account, he should feel lucky to get his money back. He basically applied zero common sense. Also if ā€œthe bankā€ had told me not to access my account for 24 hours alarm bells would definitely be ringing in my head, and Iā€™d be calling the real bank to advise what had happened. Not sit back and not access my account for 24 hoursā€¦ again Gavin applied zero common sense!!!