Monzo Labs: Shared Tabs šŸ“‘

Hi all,

Today weā€™re bringing a new feature to Monzo Labs: Shared Tabs!

What are Shared Tabs?

Shared Tabs are a way of keeping track of payments youā€™d like to share with other people on Monzo.

So you might create a Shared Tab for a weekend away with your friends. You each pay for various things over the trip, add them to the tab, and then settle what you each owe at the end. Weā€™ll do the maths for you, and make sure itā€™s all fair!

Why are we bringing this to Labs?

We want to give our community early access to this feature. Play with it, let us know how youā€™re using it, and if thereā€™s anything confusing.

When will this come out of Labs? Is this a final version?

We donā€™t expect to make any major changes to Shared Tabs before we launch. So what youā€™re seeing now is more or less what weā€™ll launch with. Weā€™re just giving you access a week or so early.

To use it:

1. Opt in through Monzo Labs (youā€™ll need to be on app version 2.22.0 or above)
  2. Restart the app
  3. Head to the Payments tab
  4. Tap Request
  5. Tap CREATE A NEW TAB

You can add any of your contacts on Monzo to a shared tab. This will also turn it on for them, so theyā€™ll be able to create their own tabs with their contacts.

Current limitations:

• Share a tab with people who arenā€™t using Monzo
  • Add non-Monzo payments, like using cash
  • Add someone new to a tab once itā€™s been created
  • Add a payment to more than one tab
  • Use Shared Tabs with a joint account

These are things weā€™re aware of and likely wonā€™t change before launch.

Let us know what you think!

25 Likes

Iā€™ve turned this on but I donā€™t see anything different in my request tab :sweat:

image image

Edit: clicking the notification in the feed forced it to start working

Could have done with this over summer holidays :grin:. Although Iā€™m sure it will come in use over the next few weeks. Good idea monzo!

2 Likes

You should mention you need the latest build 2.22.0 to use this feature (thatā€™s on iOS, no clue about Android, sorry!).

Edit: Iā€™m presuming this as I havenā€™t updated my app and donā€™t have the option showing.

2 Likes

Looks nice but I donā€™t have anyone to try it on, share some screenshots if you use it! :raised_hands:t2:

2 Likes

Initial screen when creating a tab looks a little bit clunky, like from a UX point of view - What am I meant to be doing here and why? - Tab name field isnā€™t overly obvious that itā€™s a field and looks broken - Also thereā€™s no hint that it needs to be filled out to continue other than the greyed out button :slightly_frowning_face:

IMG_1045

4 Likes

Just trying out with my other half.

One bit of feedback - would be good to be able to add a payment straight from the home screen (like when youā€™ve the option to split a payment) into a tab.

Also the option to delete an item that you have added to the tab - means if you add something by accident you can get rid but someone else on the tab canā€™t just delete your item so they owe less!

12 Likes

Thanks, will mention!

2 Likes

Iā€™ve turned this on but I donā€™t see anything different in my request tab :sweat:

Sorry about that! You probably need to quit your iOS app (swipe up from the app switcher) and try again :slight_smile:

the option to delete an item that you have added to the tab

You can definitely do this :thinking:

2 Likes

Very cool feature.

Seems you can only split things equally.

Any way to change the split?

4 Likes

Not currentlyā€”what are you looking for?

It would be great to have the same functionality as Bill Splitting.

A few examples I can think of would be flat mates who pay different amounts of rent, someone buying different priced drinks in a round at the pub etcā€¦

11 Likes

As @awjdean just said, sometimes I want to split something 60/40 (eg if I earn more than my partner for household bills), or if people have used different amounts of anything

7 Likes

Iā€™m glad to see this has made itā€™s way into Monzo labs.

Testing this out it seems that I can only add transactions that date back to the 31st of October, is there a reason for this?

1 Like

This is such a cool idea! :smiley: I am going to try it out tonight.

So, umā€¦ anyone got any trips planned this weekend? :palm_tree: :smile:

2 Likes

Will this work if my partner doesnā€™t have it enabled?

When you invite people, itā€™ll automatically be turned on for them in Labs :blush:

1 Like

Awesome! Thanks

So we can SPAM anyone in our contacts list with a shared tab :smiling_imp:

4 Likes