Monzo Labs: Pay anyone by text or email

This isn’t intentional! We should definitely have the option of going back before rolling this out. Unfortunately this is sometimes the kind of “unpolish” that lets us release really early to labs.

13 Likes

Not sure if this has been mentioned but an option to cancel a link would be useful. I have just created one to see how it works from a sender perspective but would prefer to cancel it off rather than wait the 7 days for it to expire.

3 Likes

You can kinda cancel it if you pop in your details, if you have the link still. But yeah a cancel button is a must.

I’m not even sure there’s much point in obscuring these links within Monzo, it doesn’t make it more secure. You should be able to see it again, and to cancel it. I’d also rather copy just the link, not blurb + link - I sent my first one to google by mistake by pasting it into a browser. These links will be sent in plaintext over insecure channels (email, sms), that’s the vulnerable point, when they are sitting on email servers and computers/phones unused.

I do think cancellation and showing the Monzo user the link is a must before this goes live. I’d also put a limit on it of say £1000. There should not be a way to send thousands using this method, it is too risky.

In future if this is widespread it’d be profitable to buy a browser plugin with an installed base and simply steal the money from pay links when they are clicked on, as all you need is the link, there is no second factor.

1 Like

I’m glad to hear that. Thanks for the update

So I just got the chance to test this.

Feedback from the recipient - “that was super quick and easy”.

So feedback above about button design done and out of the way - this was a pretty frictionless process.

3 Likes

Any chance you’ll implement this for international accounts and phone numbers?

Something about choosing the amount and entering my passcode before selecting the recipient feels off to me. Entering a pin usually actions a command so i’m led to thinking ‘what will happen if I enter my pin? I havent said who I want to pay yet’. It doesn’t align with how you would send money to a recipient within Monzo or any other banking app, i.e choose the person first.

I thought through an alternative flow but it leads to a deeper intergration being required with the email provider / fb messenger / imessage etc so I suspect your flow is probably based upon keeping the link as universal as possible.

3 Likes

I just did exactly the same thing.

I tested this last night and it was all very seamless and easy.

I would say however, seeing it in the feed (maybe not even as a completed transaction - but just there) as a “You’ve sent £X via Monzo Link” would for me make the process a lot smoother.

That feed item could then be clicked where the transaction could be cancelled would also make me feel more comfortable.

Overall though I really enjoyed it, I hate typing out acc numbers and sort codes so to be able to get the person who is asking for money to do it was great!

2 Likes

Just tried by sending my mum 4p. I think she was grateful - and it puts my account balance into a round amount! All seems really smooth on the receiving end even if the ‘Sign up to Monzo’ button gets ignored :joy:

1 Like

I’ve just made the following change for the next release: tap-hold to copy. What do you think?

8 Likes

I’m working on this today :+1:

19 Likes

Thanks for the feedback. I’ve also sent a code to google the same way so it’s definitely a pain! We will address this before launch, as well as being able to cancel. For now if you haven’t shared the link yet then you could just dismiss the feed item for the “Pending” payment and forget about it. If you have shared it and want to cancel it, unfortunately you’ll need to contact customer support :frowning: We will fix this in January.

As for showing the link; we will do this at some point, but for security we are probably going to add it behind a second PIN / fingerprint authentication, and it will generate a new code for the payment.

3 Likes

Interesting thread, and good comms, @james & @robinb :grinning:

4 Likes

I just used this feature for the first time to pay a colleague back (I’m cashless which is difficult in an office where people buy each other food a lot, but this solves the problem for me which is amazing).

I looked at the page generated by the link, and I’ve gotta say I agree with others on this thread that it feels the wrong way around, the buttons should be switched.

However, saying that, I sent this person the link and they very quickly accepted the money into their account, no questions asked. So whilst I personally feel from a UX perspective it’s the wrong way around at the moment, an actual user seemed to have no issues with it. I should probably add, they also didn’t sign up to monzo, as it was a ‘quick, pay me for this sausage sarnie that im about to go and fetch for you’ kinda thing and I can’t really see why anyone would take the time to sign up in this kind of scenario.

6 Likes

Little sneak peek of the WIP cancel flow from our awesome designer :eyes:

28 Likes

They do find their way reasonably quickly because there’s limited options, but this is a human interface problem. When the page opens pretty much everyone without thinking about it will immediately recognise and see within a second the big blue “button” as exactly that. There’s one button, i need to press that next. It all happens without you really thinking about it at all.

So this is a purposeful decision, when you want to make things easy, you make it flow easily by making things recognisable and simple. a button is a button, you push those. there’s only one, so you know within a second of the page loading where you need to go next.

Its only when you start reading the text and actively start looking at the page that you see whats wrong with it. Most people will see the pay with a non monzo account link. But the page is designed, deliberately, to push you toward the blue button.

This is why i said in one post that its arguably unethical. over dramatic? maybe in this day and age, but that’s still arguable unethical, even if its just a tiny bit unethical.

you can get there in the end fine, but that doesn’t change the fact that it appears at least from an outside perspective that the page was made not from a customer point of view, but from a business “we need to get more people” point of view as its primary function. And is why i find it pretty disappointing.

6 Likes

That’s ace. Really clear :+1:

7 Likes

I like it.

I’d guess this would reflect in the link when they try to go to it e.g. it would say the payment was cancelled?