Monzo Labs: Ordering Accounts and Pots

Looking forward to this!

Now kiss!

2 Likes

No, I think moving money directly to a Pot you own in a different account is a bit more straightforward. It would just require a PIN challenge.

My concerns with moving Pots between accounts are more to do with:

• Changing the permission of who can access the money
  • How does this affect FSCS protection, and the audit trail needed.
  • Can you move something out of joint to personal? seems a bit troubling.
  • I’m sure there’s some added complexity with savings Pots.

These concerns are magnified if moving a Pot between accounts is a side effect of rearranging how you want things to be visually listed.

In my mind, even if we were to offer the ability to move Pots between accounts, it should be handled separately from a quick drag & drop flow, as the change has greater consequences than just how things look.

11 Likes

What’s the difference between me taking money out of a joint pot, transferring to my own account, moving it into my own pot and just moving the pot?

(edit) that’s not really what this threads about so feel free not to answer :sunglasses:

The difference is a lot of code that doesn’t exist, some checking of permissions (if you are moving out of a joint pot does the other person know? do they have to approve this somehow?), not to mention the UI itself as we can’t move anything this way so that all needs built from scratch.

If you mean in terms of visibility then I’m guessing because at present it’s a ‘transfer’ there is a clear record of who did what. If I’m just dragging pots around between accounts it might not be as obvious?

1 Like

True, but everything new needs to be built. Like pot sorting :smiley:

1 Like

Yeah. So… sorry what’s your point then? Moving pots in one account is not the same as moving them between two accounts, so would require more code, more time, and ultimately how many people would use it?

I think the current plan is a good first step to get something done, it can be expanded on. I’d rather they did this than try and build it all in one go (or we’d be waiting even longer for Pot Sorting).

No, I agree. What I suggested is out of the scope of ‘reordering pots’ which is why I added the disclaimer to my first post. I was just asking why an automatic move of a pot from a joint to solo account had more questions about ownership than somebody doing it manually (excluding external pots of course).

Looks great! When pots are hidden, will there be some kind of indicator of that? Im thinking on the vertical list it would be nice to have some kind of reminder that I have hidden money away from my self. Maybe just an icon (which is discreet if you dont want to make it obvious), or a placeholder like “And X hidden pots”

1 Like

Right now, this is what we’re testing when it comes to showing that you have hidden Pots.

From the usability testing we did on Wednesday, it proved clear enough - without being a giant reminder that you have money hidden away (as the whole point is to reduce how often you’re reminded!)

24 Likes

I think in theory it’s the same set of permissions and liability right?

If you have a joint account - both members can unilaterally use the account without seeking permission on each.

So at least in theory, You (should) have the same (legal) permissions to transfer direct from one to the other.

Might be complexities around savings type pots, and obviously, developmentally and audit trail stuff needs to be implemented… But I shouldn’t imagine you’d need permission to do such a transaction in your joint account.

It would be good to consider how the Balance updates on this view too - this view looks good and useful.

Though as it’s a mock up it’s hard to tell the desired behaviour for the balance - as this one isn’t correct for the visible pots :slight_smile:

Looks great to me! Thanks for sharing, cant wait to try it out.

yeah - the numbers don’t add up on this screen, that’s just a result of it being a quick sketch.

1 Like

Yeah that’s cool - just wondered what the proposed behaviour for balance would be?

I think it should show the total of the visible pots. Then a little visual indicator if you do have hidden pots that this figure has been adjusted? Like a little :eye: next to the total balance.

1 Like

Would just like to add my vote for the ability to hide a pot just off the home screen (horizontal pot scroll) and still show on the vertical view. This is because I have a lot of pots which I don’t need to hide completely but I don’t need a day to day view of them. For example a bills pot doesnt need to be hidden, but I also dont need to see it every time I open the app as it should just work.

Appreciate this might not be in the first iteration but just putting my vote in! :raised_hand:

Happy you are working on this though and reordering will be great :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Would prefer the total balance to exclude hidden pots.

2 Likes

Finally!!! This is a game changer for me! A small feature but with massive impact…

Can’t wait for the Pots sorter launch :slight_smile:

Liking the ‘show joint account first’ feature. A good step forward.