Monzo Labs: Easy Bank Transfer

Any plans to add Virgin Money?

So don’t know if this is bug, or a nav issue, but I went back today to use this, and couldn’t find it, so disabled and enabled in Labs for it to pop up in the feed again.

iOS btw

edit - Found it under add money, was looking in Payments and hit request in there, so that’s what confused me.

It should be available from the ‘Add money’ icon under a card in Home, in the ‘Add money’ screen tap on ‘Easy bank transfer’.

It would be interesting to know if ‘Easy bank transfer’ disappears from the ‘Add money’ screen (even when enabled in labs) when such an issue occurs.

It only works for payment accounts (accounts that you can transact directly in and out of, they typically have their own sort code and account number).

1 Like

@kieranmch my savings account has a sort code and account number, as do the ISAs, and from the savings account I am able to transfer money in and out and make payments directly from it. So it’s a little strange they don’t make it available.

1 Like

Can you make payments to any account from these accounts, not just your NatWest accounts? If so, let us know the names of the account products and we can raise it with them directly.

1 Like

It’s not a request so much as a command function so whatever account you use, you also need the authority to use (or it will fail).

Long winded way of saying that unless your partners account is accessible on your phone and manageable by you I don’t think this will be much use to you.

Hi @Feathers

No I understood that (I get how it works now)

Just that if there was to be a way of doing this in the future that would be amazing :slight_smile:

As I said above, for some users this might be super cool but for me, personally, I dont see any value in it and have disabled it again

1 Like

Putting it out there now, we’ve not had one of the amazing technology blog posts in a couple months and I would love a deep dive on how you managed to put this all together.

4 Likes

I used this for fun. It works and could see my self using this when I need to pull from savings.

But what’s to stop other banks doing the same? If they have not already

I have a Barclays H2B ISA and can transfer to/from any account

I’ve spotted a potential unusual case with Barclays - I am able to do an Easy Bank Transfer from an Everyday Saver account back to Monzo.

I have a couple of Everyday Saver accounts (which have their own sortcode and account number) with them, in addition to a current account.

When I try and perform a transfer from the Everyday Saver account from within the app to somewhere other than one of my other Barclays accounts, I am unable to do this - the app / Barclays requires that the account has an attached debit card for an ‘external payment’ which the savings account does not. All payments therefore should go through my current account.

The easy bank transfer appears to circumvent this requirement and has opened up this new functionality. I wonder if Barclays meant for this to happen? :thinking:

6 Likes

Revolut already do

Yup, it gives me the option to pay any of my payees. I wish I knew the name of the product, it has always just shown as “Savings Account”.

As you can see I have an excellent savings portfolio :rofl:

EDIT: Ignore me, it does work, but I have to enter an amount to transfer that it actually viable (so £1.01 or less) Its weird that natwest give an error about no payable accounts, but that’s on them I guess.

Small point but - I went to try it for a second time, and reached for the “payments” tab. That’s where I’d naturally expect this feature to be, not a new “add money” button.

9 Likes

Same, I naturally assumed it would be where all the rest of transfering money is. It’s only when I didn’t find it I had to think “oh, I wonder if they’ve hidden it in there”

3 Likes

Same here

1 Like

I seem to have put the mockers on them! Sorry about that :joy:

Well it certainly worked fine with my NatWest account and app, clever stuff, BUT (sorry about the but) it was no more simple than just firing up the NatWest app and transferring from there.

This might not be the case for other legacy banks that have poor apps, but NatWest’s isn’t bad recently. If you’re going to implement anything through open banking, I’d rather have a basic other bank account activity feed along side my Monzo ones. Thanks.

3 Likes

Where does it actually sit in the app? I did the same thing (payments tab) and ended up going through the Labs notification on the feed as I assumed that the payments screen hadn’t been fixed yet?