Monzo In The Wild

Ha. Not 2 Monzo cards, just 2 FinTech cards. Whisper it quietly :shushing_face: but I got a Starling account to compare. Whisper even more quietly :shushing_face::shushing_face: I wanted one with Apple Pay.

7 Likes

I know loads of people with them, and see quite a few in + around Manchester/Cheshire too. Had people in a bar chat with me about it and pulling theres out to say “LOOK I HAVE ONE TOO”…

1 Like

I shan’t tell a soul. Your secret is safe with me.

1 Like

Yes, but did they show you their Monzo card? :rofl:

5 Likes

:grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::joy::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::yum:

Signed up for business broadband at Vodafone in store the other week and asked them if they had heard of Monzo for my direct debit. The agent then pulled out his Mondo card! One of the original testers!! I thought awesome, so I can use Monzo? No. In store the sort code and account has to be in the card. Didn’t stop me changing it immediately online though haha!

1 Like

Did a course in Jan and a guy on there used Monzo to pay for his Pret lunch and it reminded me that I signed up in June 2016 when Monzo was Mondo but because I ws busy doing shifts on a new job didn’t open an account. Seeing him forced me to open one. Then within a week I’d opened up a Starling (I’m self employed so use Starling and Monzo for different reasons) and a Chip account (after becoming an investor last year) and last month opened a Moneybox and Emma account. All about the fintech! :wink:

Now just deciding between Pensionbee, Wealthify, Monefarm and Nutmeg. If anyone has any suggestions or thoughts (or wants any referral codes!) on those please let me know…

4 Likes

I actually made a post about my experience a while back. I came across someone in Australia that had one. My mum owns a restaurant there and they paid with a Monzo card.

I thought is was so rare that on the other side of the world in a less populated part of the country I met a person with a card.

5 Likes

I used to see them used regularly in my office in London, the cafe was card only and it was easy to spot them being tapped.

I’d also spot them quite a bit at my local tube station in the morning, when the queues were all bundled together.

1 Like

Maybe Tfl could install Monzo gates?

5 Likes

I haven’t seen one.

Someone in my old job changed their DD details to Monzo.

My older sister got one independently of me. That surprised me. Also lol she said she forgot her PIN… She’s not techy which is why I was surprised. I had to show her how.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a Starling card in the wild, but then, the only one I notice now in the tube station queue is Monzo because of its colour. I genuinely see at least two or three every morning being used by the people around me (bearing in mind you can’t really see what people far ahead are using), either the physical card or the pink card on the Apple Pay screen. Honestly, if I was a visitor to the UK for the first time I’d assume everyone in the country had Monzo.

6 Likes

I’ve seen a few Monzo cards other than my own and my friends. Once on my easyjet flight to Scotland about 2 months ago and the other week at the pub, the guy beside me at the bar had a Monzo card too and whilst waiting for our pints we discussed what we both like about Monzo :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I love this. People so often look down or are hesitant to talk to new people. Hearing about moments when having a Monzo card has broken those barriers makes me super happy :heart:

3 Likes

It was really nice to have a conversation with someone i’ve never seen before about a product we both really enjoy and we couldn’t have been in more different groups if we tried e.g. Im 21 and was out with a friend and he was a man in his 40’s in his suite having a pint on his way home from work. Shows the wide appeal of Monzo to everyone

3 Likes

Apologies to resurrect a very old thread but just saw a Monzo card on Etsy and thought I’d share:

2 Likes

I volunteer in a community cafe, they are the card I see most, not many Starling. I always ask if Monzo is their main bank and the response is usually no. It’s a spending account. There is a reticence re making Monzo their main account due to its youth.

2 Likes