🇦🇪 Monzo in the UAE

I’m planning to go to Dubai, taking small amount of cash but relying on Mondo for bigger purchases where paying with cards available.

Given Mondo works off the MasterCard rails I’m sure it’ll be fine, but wondered if anyone’s had any experience? For example can I do ATM withdrawals okay?

Thanks

Remember that there you can only withdraw upto £1000 per month using ATMs. And the maximum single payment is also £1000.

Used mondo in Abu Dhabi at a few places with no issues so you should be fine :+1:t2:

1 Like

Has anyone had any experience withdrawing cash from ATMs in Oman?

I’ve seen a few issues on the forum over the past few months (here, here, and here) which are making me a little apprehensive about being able to access my cash with Monzo when in Oman.

Thanks in advance! :sunglasses:

Nope, nothing on Oman specifically. (Wait, is this the reputation I have now?! :cold_sweat:)

From some quick research, you’ve got HSBC there so you’re in with a decent shot at ATMs working. Posts on Tripadvisor’s forums seem to indicate that there are a variety of different ATMs in all populated areas, some that will charge a fee. Mastercard’s own ATM finder seems to recommend HSBC as the major brand with chip reader support though.

Be aware of the general tips for travailing with Monzo as well as the daily, rolling 30 day and annual limits on withdrawals (£250, £1,000, £3,000), take enough cash to last you the first few days along with at least one alternative card (we are in beta, remember) and you should be fine! Let us know your experiences when you get back.

4 Likes

@RichardR you’re now the resident expert :wink:

4 Likes

This is awesome, thanks @RichardR! :grinning:

1 Like

Just got back from Dubai - Monzo worked great on the one occasion that I used my card (I really need to break out of the mindset of using cash abroad :rolling_eyes:). I signed up for travel reports so received a notification shortly after arriving, letting me know the exchange rate which was cool, and payment for my lunch at Nando’s was also approved instantly! Will certainly try and use my Monzo card more next time I go away!

Monzo worked really well during my time in Oman - no problems at all! :thumbsup:

2 Likes

I use it in Muscat on a weekly basis as currently flying out there for every Mon-Fri!

Not had any issues with any retailers or ATMs as long as the funds are available except when I tried to do a Travelex purchase and they couldn’t validate due to no name being on the card (But Bank Muscat also issue cards with no name on it as well so we’re not alone there).
It even worked contactlessly at McDonalds in the new Avenues mall as well (not that the employee knew it was a contactless transaction!)

Used in Dubai for a week. Took little to no cash with me, just topped up via the app when I needed the money and withdrew from a cashpoint or paid via Card at the shops. All worked brilliantly.

Only tip I have is find the RAKBANK ATMs as they are free to use. All others seem to charge around 20AED per transaction. Download MasterCard Nearby app to check which ATMs around you can use and look out for ‘No Access Fee’.

If you have any questions about using the card in Dubai give me a shout!

9 Likes

Thanks for the tip. I am off to Dubai for a week next month. Just taking some 400AED in cash and rest on Monzo. Have a back up FairFX card and my UK HSBC card. Lets see!

Update: in Dubai right now. Used monzo several times at outlets malls restaurants shops etc. Worked like a treat. Didn’t work once at dubai mall at the Aquarium. Also haven’t tried atm withdrawal yet.

3 Likes

Was in Dubai airport in between flights.
No problems faced using contactless and chip and pin.
Didn’t withdraw any cash.

Been working in Dubai for 2 and a half months now. Monzo has worked great everywhere :ok_hand: no problems cropped up except the downtime back in March (that wasn’t fun as I had no cash either!)

2 Likes

Used my Monzo card on a recent trip to Dubai. Worked everywhere including duty free at the airport, various malls, restaurants and a spa. I took little to no cash and used atms when needed. Only Mastercard ones do not charge else there is a 20 aed fee. The only time I wanted to use it was at the hotel for initial check in process but they wouldn’t accept a pre pay. Else amazing. Topped up when I needed it to over wifi. And great conversion rates on all purchases!

2 Likes

This was so helpful! Just got back from a week in Abu Dhabi and Monzo worked seamlessly. Managed to withdraw cash from a RAKBANK atm and used chip and pin everywhere without any issues.

I’ve just used in the airport because In my travel to Asia I’ve stop in Dubai for a transit, working fine in all shops!!

Hi

Can somebody help me

Im looking to book a hotel in Dubai this year, the site im booking through gives me 2 options either to pay now or pay at the hotel. If I choose to pay at the hotel will they accept Monzo?

Regards

1 Like

@Shauqat You need to find out if your hotel accepts prepaid card types. It should be somewhere in ‘Accepted payment methods’ or something section on their website. You can send an email with this question to hotel or call if this info is not listed on their website. :slight_smile:

Monzo card that you have right now is a prepaid card (not debit, not credit). General acceptance of prepaid card types is high, but we don’t know what your hotel will do.

1 Like

Hello All

Does anybody if the Burj Al Arab will accept the monzo card as payment?

Regards