Monzo in the media

5 Likes

Wow so they’ve won in quite a few areas then. Congrats Monzo team! :partying_face:

3 Likes

https://twitter.com/TCPAwards/status/1522312238887055361 ← our AI / ML team won an award too!

12 Likes

Richly deserved! Always been dubious of these awards based on past winners and the way the voting works, but finally a winner that makes sense!

4 Likes

One in the eye for Starling :laughing:.

2 Likes

The past winners haven’t changed, so has the way the voting works changed?

2 Likes

So you are dubious of awards if you don’t agree with the results? Maybe you just disagree with the winner rather than anything dubious happening?

9 Likes

Did Starling forget to message all their customers telling them to vote this year?

(This I presume was the criticism of ‘the way voting works’)

9 Likes

Fair points. I guess I’m somewhat dubious of how Starling almost always had way more votes cast than Monzo (like more than double) when they have less than halve of Monzo’s user numbers - that just doesn’t smell right. And as a user of both products, Monzo is streets ahead of Starling from a user interface/experience perspective (in my opinion…).

Last time I checked for this round of awards, Starling actually had more votes and a higher score than Monzo, so not sure whether the award organisers took a view as to how the scoring system was working in practice :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

I think Monzo finally won this award because someone forgot to log into the 500 duplicate email accounts to give 5 stars. :scream:

Heads will roll and there will be an action plan going forward to make sure the ant and dec of banking award winners never lose again :hot_face:

Also, without the sarcasm, well done Monzo!

2 Likes

That pipeline was not just super-optimised, but also recognised for it :partying_face:

3 Likes

Some mad lad actually increased the pipelines speed by 80% the other day, couldn’t believe it with my own 2 eyes :heart_eyes:

5 Likes

We’re used, in many fields, to marginal gains. A percent here or there making all the difference

And then there’s 83%!!

1 Like

The banking landscape must surely have blossomed, with banks one’s never heard of winning awards.

Different approaches. Starling push this more with ads all over social media, and monzo are more methodical in who they ask to vote. I heard it said in the past when this was pointed out that quality matters more than quantity, which I took to mean that Monzo only targets and asks certain groups of their customers who are not only likely to leave a detailed review, but a praiseful one. Starling just ask any and everyone, which opens them up to the possibility of receiving greater negativity.

They explain it in this post here:

There is no chance in hell Starling just ask everyone and yet organically end up with a 4.97/5 rating over about 20000 reviews.

Something very dodgy about their score.

Their marketing speaks for itself honestly.

It’s not a popularity contest, so it doesn’t much matter when it comes to determining their rating.

They have a system here designed to shield against that so it’s not just the bank with the most customers voting winning all the awards.

I don’t recall them ever asking me, but if they did, I’d certainly give them a higher score than Monzo (and an equal score to every other bank I use). Starling, from a pure banking perspective, is a better bank for my needs than Monzo.

2 Likes
3 Likes
1 Like