Monzo in the media

If we can work out the monzo.me for the new chief exec, perhaps we could have a whip round for a quid for him to pop by and say hello?

1 Like

Don’t think we’ll need to do a whip around for hello :thinking:

I’ll ask that we keep things on topic here as well everyone. Tidying up for now.

1 Like

Noticed an ad today

Leading to

Clickbait advert harvesting email addresses. Avoid!

10 Likes

Not to mention it’s ancient news, the same thing has been raised months ago

3 Likes

It is genuinely Hargreaves Lansdown, though. I have the majority of my investments with them.

I just use my Halifax app to image it, and whack the money over to Monzo. But I can count the number of cheques I’ve received in the past three years on my thumbs, so …

I don’t doubt who they are/what they do.

But having email addresses of people who are interested in investing is a very good marketing tool. That’s all this is for.

3 Likes

No doubt it is but it’s just one of those marketing exercises based on a trend to gather emails to “market” to people.

You see all sorts of variants like. “Download our free essentials guide on home improvements” just give us your email.

Next minute you’re getting all sorts of spam emails about buying home insurance, want a new sofa?, get finance on X appliance, have you considered setting out a will etc etc.

5 Likes

And pretty pointless to sign up because I’m pretty sure we’d notice if Monzo IPOd :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

A Monzo iPod. How very noughties.

3 Likes

You and I might but Gladys next door won’t!

As much as I’d love to buy monzo, I’ve learned my lesson with IPOs. Wait a few years. Every single day 1 IPO I’ve bought in companies that I like has tanked and I’ve lost quite a bit of money doing it. I have a particularly bad case of escalation of commitment with Oatly :grimacing::grimacing:

Can’t risk repeating that with Monzo.

2 Likes

None of my startup shares have sold or IPO’d yet apart from one which was bought out at four times value.

About 60% of them look like they are going well, the other 40% hard to tell or probably not going anywhere. I never re-invest though, they are normally well overpriced in round one, subsequent rounds I’ve seen are often a joke.

I love oatly milk though!

1 Like

Are we doomed to Hargreaves just doing this clickbait story over and over and it being mentioned here each time for the rest of pre-IPO eternity?

4 Likes

No! One day Monzo will IPO and we’ll be free from this loop :wink:

3 Likes

After IPO, sign up for rumours of takeover. Or rumours of acquisition. Or rumours of a buyout by private equity group. Or management buyout. Etc.

It’s a never ending cycle.

2 Likes

Not really anything new here to be honest.

1 Like

New phishing campaign, same as the old phishing campaign.

(Only difference is this time someone can write an article about Monzo, for the clicks.)

4 Likes

On the plus side, more new customers :crossed_fingers:t3:

1 Like

It’s quite new. The particular campaign being investigated by security researches here has an origin of November 2021. It’s also quite a bit more sophisticated than attacks that have come before and targets just Monzo and Revolut. So it’s worth reporting for a variety of reasons.