Monzo in the media

From the Which website:

Could I be refused a basic bank account?

Since September 2016, you are entitled to open a basic bank account if you are ineligible to open a standard bank account.

However, Money Advice Service says you might be refused if:

• You can’t provide proof of ID or address
  • You are eligible for a different account with that bank or building society
  • You refuse a credit check (although you don’t have to pass one)
  • You are threatening, abusive or violent towards staff
  • They suspect you of fraud or money laundering.

That last point being most valid.

3 Likes

We don’t know, but they are/can be. People with CIFAS markers have reported trouble getting one

edit: we do know apparently, see above

2 Likes

Whilst we are all clearly on different sides of the table although i feel like @breville_monkey can see my point. I think it is really important that this conversation is had and I think banks and the government need to have this conversation along with regulators and firms like National Hunter and they need to come up with a solution to the cirlce that never ends for people who may or may not have made poor choices. Actions in life are sometimes a means to an end and some people are coerced into doing things they dont understand the repucussions of

2 Likes

@AlanDoe feels like this has outgrown the Monzo in the Media topic. Any chance of spinning it off to a new one? :pray:

4 Likes

Yes but can it not be unlisted. Can we call it something nice and not negative like “Ways to help the people left unbanked” or something to keep the discourse going. This conversation is really important to the future of banking as more and more things go online

3 Likes

I’d say to go ahead and create it yourself and we can carry the discussion on over there :slight_smile:

I don’t think there’s need for manual intervention, let’s see if we can sort ourselves out for once :crossed_fingers: :laughing:

4 Likes

As long as the first one means that a homeless person can still get an account, I don’t see the issue with that list?

If you feel like you’ve been tricked/coerced/unknowingly committed fraud, then I’d like to think it hadn’t got that far. Although I’m sure there will be edge cases.

1 Like

Only HSBC offer homeless people accounts and that was a recent announcement. It was in partnership with Shelter

1 Like

For clarity I have replied to Revels in the newly created thread.

1 Like

Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but with the recent discussions maybe it’s ok to post here.

For context, Simon was one of the original 10 or so people at Monzo I think, so it’s interesting to hear these kinds of thoughts from people in the industry.

6 Likes
4 Likes

Fun fact: If you go to monzo.com/usa it’ll redirect to monzo.com/us

this is the most user-facing software I have written since working at Monzo… :joy:

9 Likes

When’s the U.K. gonna get that card design?

10 Likes

If this forum is to be believed, never. Every time someone asks the consensus is that never because everyone would want to order a new card

6 Likes

I still miss the “proper” hot coral I had on my first ever card that really popped. Not this weird salmon variant we have now :pensive:

3 Likes

Monzo said that it was an issue with one of the card manufacturers who couldn’t get the colour right. It’s meant to have been sorted like 2 years ago now and the dull salmon cards should’ve ended when the stocks ran out

1 Like

Yeah I remember the discussion and it makes me wonder why they decided to just go with it regardless. I would have rejected/returned them asking for a batch that were the colour I wanted :man_shrugging:

I still hold hope that maybe one day I’ll get a nice hot coral one for either of my accounts when it comes for renewal.

Money, of course. I suspect it was deemed “good enough”

And I think you will. My partner got a hot coral a few months ago when the previous one was dull salmon

1 Like

My replacement card that I received yesterday is genuine hot coral.

3 Likes