Monzo in the media

Hopefully, because I don’t see how not having sort codes for a very low proportion of potential transactions is a big selling point, especially when sort codes are hardly a big inconvenience.

Monzo does have some unique features that they should be advertising. This isn’t one of them.

As someone who has transferred money without using sort codes (and had money transferred not me without needing to give any sort codes), you’re rather arguing with the wrong person there.

If you’ll excuse me, I must be heading back to my unlikely future.

7 Likes

Given it’s social media advertising, not unlikely it’s based on an assessment of how many other Monzo users or likely Monzo users are in this persons network. Targeting is a thing!

2 Likes

I think we’re going around in circles on this topic. Shall we leave the discussion here?

8 Likes

The card looks so so dated. Ugly. That’s not gonna turn heads like it used to in 2016. Either needs modernising or they should go back to using that chip (I think that’s what they called it) graphic. That’s cute and has character.

That’s my take. I’m equally curious on @DaveJ’s

4 Likes

Sorry was just watching bake off from the other night. It just looks like some kid was asked to come up with something for a school project, it looks dated, rather simplistic in design and really isn’t memorable. Not eye catching enough when you’re scrolling through an insta feed.

2 Likes

Aren’t we all?

1 Like

Totally unbiased opinion here!

I think it’s a fantastic ad! :wink:

14 Likes

“Hot Chip”

Ah, memories.

4 Likes

When enough of my friends have monzo that we now use the term “sure ill monzo you that now” then id call that a feature worth advertising.

5 Likes

Me and my friends use Monzo for transfers and it’s so simple for bill splitting and going to be a lot easier come holiday time in two weeks to request or send either way with minimal effort.

2 Likes

It’s curious! Your use of that phrase differs from my social groups. We use it to reference Monzo links.

I’ll monzo you = send a payment link where you enter your account details (which still entails a sort code by the way, even though we’re both on Monzo, because Monzo, for some reason, doesn’t redirect these URLs to a more slick in app flow!)

Monzo me = send a monzo.me link so you can pay me!

I think Monzo should start recognising these URLs and build app flows for people who already use Monzo.

3 Likes

Ad #2

Noticed this Starling ad afterwards

1 Like

Neither of these ads are very good if that is all the adverts are. Monzo seems slightly better as at least they have something that is clearly their brand.

I like how the cards all have someone from marketing’s name on them.

Please oh please oh lord can we have one with ‘Rick Cully’ or ‘Jack Astley’ on it? I’ll literally send you cakes @jackcully

1 Like

I got a video ad for monzo in my Instagram reels a few days ago.

I think Monzo’s TV adverts were great at the time they came out - not sure they’d do so well now. But advertising has moved on since then.

Not seen the new ads at all in situ, so can’t comment on their impact.

But good to see Monzo trying new adverts.

4 Likes

Does social media marketing spend after years indicate they are now on the front foot financially?

The Telegraph must be trembling in their boots.

3 Likes

I think it’s probably more to do with the slowing growth in customer numbers. They probably need to prove rapid growth is still possible before another funding round.

Seriously doubt they are near profitability yet.

1 Like

I think the only thing you could safely say it indicates is a change of staff or staff emphasis in the marketing department.

I don’t think it has anything to do with the spend - the TV marketing campaign would’ve cost a lot more, and the referral scheme (which I believe would have come out of the marketing budget) would’ve also not been cheap.

tl;dr, change of priorities/direction, not change of finances.

3 Likes