🇵🇰 Monzo in Pakistan

Well I have a local bank account for usage. However, as for international online shopping etc I use PayPal…and PayPal yet doesn’t Support pakistan.so I’m unable to link local bank / credit card with my UK PayPal. So for that I use monzo.
I have some friend in GB but it seemed not a convenient method to bother them everytime.

While they charged PKR 250 back in May 2019, MCB now charges PKR 800 in December 2019. I have confirmed this with two separate transactions - attaching latest ATM receipt.

Their “schedule of charges” document has no reference for this. Their customer service representatives are unable to point me to the relevant documents.

But there’s no other choice.

Standard Chartered on the other hand is still charging PKR 500 per transaction and you’re given a clear heads-up on the ATM before anything goes through (unlike MCB).

I think you’ll be directed to Transferwise by those in the know.

You cannot pay direct from Monzo to a foreign account.

Just to let everyone know Monzo is working fine for me in Pakistan. So far managing payments with my card with no problem.

Used Monzo card (Premium account) in Pakistan today. It worked in Bank Al-Falah ATM but they charged me extra Rs. 650 (nearly £2.5). Maybe other bank ATMs would have different charges. Same with Transfer Wise card. So even with their good rates and no markup fees in my view it isn’t worth using these cards in Pakistan. Keep a local Pak Rs. account and transfer money to it. Their transaction charge per transaction is Rs 18. Big difference. Also The max you can withdraw is just Rs. 20000 (around £82). Not worth it until you are in an emergency.

1 Like

Not always easy for foreigners to open bank accounts abroad…

1 Like