Monzo in New Zealand - 2

We have just arrived in NZ and been charged $3 dollars for using an ANZ ATM at Auckland airport. Are there any banks or ATMS in NZ that do not charge $3? (This was a big problem for us in Australia as well and ANZ was the only one we found that did not charge.)
Thanks - Mary

This might help:

Hi Mary,

I couldn’t find any ATMs that didn’t charge. I just tried to pay by chip and pin as often as I could to avoid the charge.

The country is pretty good for taking care payments and you’ll dodge the $3 charge.

1 Like

Literally everyone accepts card, even the guy selling coffee out of a caravan… just use the card and if asked checking/ savings etc just select credit card.

Btw banking is a lot different in NZ in that if you use another banks ATM you get charged a fee, even for kiwi’s e.g. Using a BNZ visa in an ANZ ATM will yield a fee…

1 Like

POS acceptance (including contactless) is great in NZ. I found that most places assume you are going to use EFTPOS (as they call it) rather than cash even for small purchases. I believe their contactless limit is NZD $80 (approx 40GBP).

The one ATM transaction I did in NZ, at a Westpac ATM, was fee-free.

General advice: Always choose Credit if given an option at the terminal. Anything else will in most instances try to use the domestic network for routing the transaction (and fail).

1 Like