šŸ‡²šŸ‡¾ Monzo in Malaysia [Discussion]

I used Monzo in Zanzero restaurant in Kuala Lumpur. The Bill was in Malaysia ringgit but the card receipt was in Ā£. The restaurant claims it does not convert to foreign currency and I did not accept any conversion on the card terminal. The rate given was very poor - 4.85 to Ā£ versus 5.46 spot. This has not happened anywhere else in KL. Has anyone else had a similar problem.

Last year a clothing shop on the Langkawi used DCC, this year I paid in cash. Otherwise during ky 7 weeks in Malaysia there was not a problem. Though there was often a RM50 limit in some shops and many of the local, rather than international restaurants have only tske cash.

Hey there, can you tell me What is the minimum I can withdraw ? Thanks.

Is Monzo accepted on most ATM without any fees? Is the issues with using Grab also resolved?

I use Grab no problem in Malaysia and Singapore. Come to think of it though I might have had to use cash with grab I canā€™t remember now itā€™s been a while.

ATMā€™s I wasnā€™t ever charged by the ATM however my Monzo card was cloned or copied whatever so watch yourself. Iā€™m normally fairly vigilant but had about 5 or 6 attempted mag stripe withdrawals which luckily were turned off. Most ATMs needed magstripe turning on though so something to watch out for.

I tend to use the banks own ATMs theyā€™re mostly 24/7 in the brances in a separate open all hours area with a guard depending where you are so it feels a bit more secure.

Do they use chip and pin at any of the ATM or is it all magstripe?

Iā€™ll probably withdraw cash at the Airport when I arrive, any recommended banks?

HSBC, Citi, Maybank, Hong Leong, CIMB all good. Maybank is seemingly everywhere.

I remember most of them being swipe - some of them ask for a 6 digit PIN as well but you can put 00 at the end of your PIN if it does ask for it.

Hello, I will be travelling to Malaysia 27th December. Just wondering are all the above free to withdraw cash ? Regards Lewis

I didnā€™t try all of them but I havenā€™t been charged. Youā€™ll be warned explicitly if thereā€™s a charge involved though. Just always choose to be charged in MYR not Ā£

Thanks a lot. I assume there are some of these at the airport as i think weā€™ll withdraw as soon as we arrive.

1 Like

I used Monzo all over Kuala Lumpur in October 2017 without a problem. All ATMs accepted it without charge. Iā€™m going again in a couple of weeks, and hoping itā€™ll be the same in Penang and Langkawi.

There are some ATMs in Langkawi and I think Penang that charge. I always use Maybank that do not ot charge but watch out for DCC.

Chenang has a Maybank branch in the Mall as well as an ATM outside the Duty free shop next to Underwater World.

1 Like

Noted that the DCC rate shown on the May bank ATM earlier today worked out at RM 5 = Ā£1 as opposed to the RM 5.236 =Ā£1 that I received having refused DCC. A nuce little earner for the bank frpm the unwary.

Of course with the Brexit effect might have been sensible to have fixed the rate before the vote and aftermath.

Itā€™s MYR 10.

Travelled to Malaysia - tried to use Monzo on board KLM but it was not accepted. Tried to use Monzo in a clothing shop but it was not accepted. Will try to see if I can withdraw cash later.

Thatā€™s weird, I used it in Malaysia and it worked in most places . I am from Malaysia - whenever I go back I use monzo all the time. Try by turning the mag stripe on. It might do the tricks .

Emirates also would not take Monza, wanted a credit card. Only problem in Malaysia (KL and Langkaei) was with old terminal that was not set up correctly to take a 4 digit pin.

That 4 digit pin isnā€™t an old terminal issue - its just in Asia they use more secure 6 digit PINs, adding 00 to the end normally works fine.

I used Monzo in Kuala Lumpur, Penang and Langkawi. Some small shops wouldnā€™t accept any cards, but this wasnā€™t the norm.

Be careful with ATMs, my card got cloned in Malaysia but otherwise acceptance was good.