šŸ‡®šŸ‡³ Monzo in India [Discussion]

I just came back from Bengaluru. :slight_smile:

I tried two ATMs but they looked like offline ATM type - Monzo debit card (CA) wouldnā€™t work because magstripe was disabled (with no app option to enable). The prepaid card wouldnā€™t work because ATM was offline, even when I could enable magstripe for prepaid.

Citi Bank worked with the prepaid card, it was atm attached to a branch, so it was likely it was online ATM. City Bank took 200 rupee fee. I got some smaller notes :tada: but also 2,000 rupee note :crying_cat_face: - total pain to get rid off. It was difficult to pay with 100 rupee note for something that cost 12 rupee (in a regular shop, not a rip off tourist place that tried to round up the price), so you can only imagine how painful 2,000 note is. :slight_smile:

Hello! In Delhi atm and managed to withdraw 10,000 rupees today from Yes bank, bank didnā€™t charge any extra! Activated magnetic strip on hotel wifi like half an hour beforing taking out money.

Quick note about paying by card, although many places accept card, many charge extra for paying card (like 20% or something)

Hope this helps!

1 Like

Soā€¦ i have been withdrawing money from
ATMs for the last month by enabling the mag strip immeduately before making the withdrawal. All goodā€¦

Until the last 24hrsā€¦ i have full 4g signal and now i cannot enable the mag stripā€¦!! It keeps gini g me a message to say my signal is poor and sone functions willnot workā€¦! My signal is not poor and i have tried on the hotel wifi.

Can someone from monzo email me immediately with a solution as i need my cash ā€¦

To get a quick response itā€™s best to contact them in app through chat as they do not monitor these forums 24/7

2 Likes

Found I didnā€™t need to enable magstripe for ATM withdrawals at SBI bank and State of India bank. These were only banks that gave me cash. No joy at other ATMs even with magstripe enabled. Lots of machines out of order too. Luckily card worked perfectly in hotels and shops. However a couple of places charged in sterling. Machine offered for PIN so unable to see amount entered - beware!

Iā€™ve used ATMs in India to withdraw cash after enabling magstripe. Depending on the machine the max withdrawal is either 10,000 Rs or 20,000 Rs
I found that Bank of Baroda and YES Bank machines did not charge any extra. Other banks like ICICI HDFC Kotak all charged about 200Rs fees.

All the best
B

Some ATMs use chip and PIN but most, as indicated above, use magstripe.

I am currently travelling in India and I have found that several funded ATMs will not work, regardless of my magstripe settings - I have watched people use them successfully, ahead of me in the queue, but received ā€œcard not recognizedā€ errors using my Monzo.

I have also found that, even within the same bank, some ATMs will work whilst others will not. It is worth trying all of the models.

I have experienced my card getting stuck at a ā€œdynamic exchange rate failed, use m/c exchange rateā€ screen, at which pressing ā€œcontinueā€ just looped. I have also experienced ā€œcard not recognizedā€, ā€œissuer unavailableā€ and ā€œunable to read cardā€ errors.

Working ATMs

• State Bank of India (no fee)

Unsuccessful ATMs

• City Union Bank (CUB)
  • Indicash
  • Catholic Syrian Bank (ā€œissuer unavailableā€)
  • India 1 ATM (ā€œyour financial institution is unavailableā€)

I will update this list as I continue travelling

1 Like

Iā€™m living here in Chennai, India and I think I have some useful information regarding using Monzo in India.

For all ATMā€™s in India, it seems that you need magstripe enabled to take cash out.
Unfortunately, nearly all ATMā€™s in India take a fee of 200 rupees or more (about Ā£2.30) every time you take a withdrawal with an international card. This sucked for me as I use Monzo and Chennai isnā€™t a cashless city quite yet. However, I found one bank that doesnā€™t take an international card fee and thatā€™s Canara Bank. I used Canara Bank ATM first time in Mumbai and was surprised it hadnā€™t taken a fee. Then checked if it was the same in the Canara Bank near my house in Chennai and it was. So if you are using Monzo in India and donā€™t want fees, try to find a Canara Bank!
Mostly all shops and restaurants take chip and pin and Iā€™ve only had a few problems where that specific restaurant doesnā€™t take international card for whatever reason.
Overall, Monzo works great in India if you can work around the problems that India has to offer with using it. Enjoy!

2 Likes

I found that SBI doesnā€™t charge whereas City Bank charges 200 INR. The maximum withdrawal appears to be 10000 INR

Iā€™ll try SBI then! I know ICIC bank charges 200 rupees too.

SBI seem to work well (although some of their ATMs had problems using Monzo - yes, even with MagStripe enabled) and I can confirm that they donā€™t charge a fee. Iā€™ll check out Canara too!

India is a good example of why cash is needed. My guest house and connected restaurant only take cash. I havenā€™t seen a restaurant that takes card payments. The only 2 outlets that I have seen that do accept cards wanted 3% markup for foreign cards.

Anyone have problems with Amazon India? Monzo used to work but doesnā€™t seem to anymore. Amazon says it canā€™t confirm with my bank, but I donā€™t get a notification from Monzo.

I havenā€™t tried it. But if Amazon India requires 3D Secure pin then Monzo card wonā€™t work. I canā€™t buy anything online on Indian websites with Monzo because of this. Hopefully Monzo will get it sorted soon :slight_smile:

Hi Iā€™m Chris We are travelling to Mumbai & Goa in India -Has anyone used Monzo there - How was it ?

Edit: thanks @evangelskies :slight_smile:

Hi Chris, Iā€™ve merged your post into the existing Monzo in India discussion thread. Thereā€™s some useful information about ATMs (esp the fees) and card acceptance on this thread and hopefully a more recent visitor will also be able to give you specific feedback. :blush:

@anon75875116 was in the middle of typing but you had faster fingers! :sweat_smile: thanks for the quick response!

1 Like

Hi,

Iā€™m travelling to Delhi, Mumbai and Goa next month. Thereā€™s no where that I can get INR cash before my trip and reading the gov.co.uk website I think my best bet it to just withdraw it there. Anyone used Monzo in India? For cash withdrawals or point of sale transactions? Any advice is very much appreciated!

Hi @Ledwards1992 Iā€™ve popped your post in to this thread, hopefully thereā€™s some info here to help you out!

Hi I am planning to travel to India. I havenā€™t got a Monzo account yet but would it be worth getting to travel in India. Would I get a better exchange rate withdrawing money from ATM there rather than taking cash?