šŸ‡®šŸ‡³ Monzo in India [Discussion]

Iā€™m coming to the end of my two weeks in India. Found the 24hrs limit on may stripe very frustrating. Wi-Fi is not guaranteed while travelling but I need money. Good to know about asking for a longer limit

2 Likes

Just used my monzo card here worked fine but used hdfc bank ATM which charges 200 rupees for withdrawals.I need to find a bank ATM that doesnā€™t levy this fee.

1 Like

Good morning. I think all atms charge 200 rupees for all cards issued outside of India. India also has predominantly magstrip atms.

I have found a couple of banks that donā€™t chargeā€¦ State Bank of India and Yes Bank I will try a couple more banks and see the outcome

2 Likes

I visited India recently and tried to use Monzo to withdraw cash. One ATM worked fine (it used Chip+PIN to verify) but subsequent ATMs used mag swipe technology and failed. Even when I went to an Internet cafe and tried to turn on mag swipe and Monzo said it was on and working, when I went back to an ATM it failed again! I went back to the Internet cafe and Monzo showed the magswipe as ā€˜offā€™ again. I tried turning it on again but wasnā€™t able to try using an ATM again (I was on a school trip).

So be wary in India is my message - if no Chip+PIN ATM, turning on mag swipe may not work!

1 Like

We found with the cash points in India that you are best off requesting 10000 rupees as a max, anything over that it doesnā€™t seem to like (no matter what the card is) Once we realised and stuck to that as an amount it was ok (providing I enabled the mag stripe that is!)

1 Like

Yes but it was more that the Magswipe option turned itself off after I had turned it on that I found problematic!

By default, you enable magstripe only for 24h. If you find it problematic or internet access is shady, you can contact support via in-app chat and request longer duration for enabled magstripe. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I know but I tried to use it less than 1 hour after turning it on.

And the option turned itself off within an hour too ā€¦!

That shouldnā€™t have happened, thatā€™s a bug. It would be great if you could report that to the support team via the in-app chat so that they can look into that & fix it :raised_hands:

Done.

I had hoped it would get noticed on here but I agree itā€™s better to do it in the app

1 Like

I am travelling to India in November. Does monzo card work and any useful tips? Many thanks.

Be warned, there are big changes afoot to the way that ATM usage in countries such as India will be charged for and given that India is presumably a largely cash-based economy this may affect you.

It shouldnā€™t be too much of an issue though given that the options presented are market-leading compared to other options. Any changes may or may not have come in by the time you go.

Keep an eye on this ATM Fees Abroad: Asking the Monzo Community to decide pricing for updates.

MW

Iā€™m currently using Monzo in India and I can twll you that it wonā€™t work in ATMā€™s as they work on magnetic strips in India. However ot has worked fine for paying in restaurants and hotels, as they use a more modern chip based machine. Lots of places in India still are cash only or charge for paying by card.

Did you try enabling this beforehand in the settings?

2 Likes

i am currently in indiaā€¦ have my funds on monzo and have been unable to reach them via atm. i have authorised the magstrip and still doesnā€™t work. i want to be a monzo believer but this is very frustrating. any advice from the monzo team would be helpful. i got a monzo account for this kind of travel.

have you sent a message to customer operations thru your app?

Have you exceeded your ATM withdrawal limits? Does your card work in stores?

i will when i get wifi on my phone

i have not.

i havenā€™t tried it in a store here but it worked in mumbai airport