šŸ‡®šŸ‡³ Monzo in India [Discussion]

@Cheibear would you mind letting us know how you get on in India with the card if you can please? Iā€™m due to go the 4th so also a little nervous about it workingā€¦

Many thsnks
Sam

Any update on use of monzo in India? Iā€™m due to head out beginning of February and have just ordered the card! Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks

@Tnuci tried to pay by card yesterday and the transaction failed. Trying an atm today so will let you know if it works.

Thanks
Sam

@Tnuci hdfc Bank works for withdrawals but it does charge

@Sj_willo thanks for letting me know. I asked the support team about having the mag strip enabled for the time Iā€™m away. Iā€™m surprised you got money out an ATM, friends over there keep telling me itā€™s best to have money and exchange rather than trying to take cash out.

Iā€™d appreciate if you could let me know if an success using to pay with monzo, I think I might get a revolut card too as that seems to work.

Hope youā€™re enjoying your trip :blush:

@Tnuci its easy to get money from the atm now the issue now is that it gives you 2000 rupee notes and nobody has change haha. The ques have gone down a lot now, maybe one or two people in front of you. We managed to pay at two separate places today with the card so it does work. We are wondering if when we have withdrawn from the atm it has activated it maybeā€¦ But it is working now :+1:

Thank you, hope you enjoy yours too.

1 Like

Hello out there - off to india in Feb and just arrived in Sri Lanka - tried both my wifeā€™s and my card in airport - declined !not looking goodā€¦

is magnetic strip turned on ? on iPhone enable in the card section , Android ask monzo to enable it also ensure you are ID verified user -

Thank you have now had the verification prompt so am awaiting verification then will try againā€¦ it is showing the money on the card so hopefully ā€¦

I went to Bangalore, Hyderabad and Goa in late November and it worked in card readers but didnā€™t work in a single ATM.

The option to enable Magstripe for ATMs was only added on the 14th November so just to check - Iā€™m guessing that you went before then or didnā€™t try switching Magstripe support on?

Youā€™d also need to be a verified user, as foreign ATM withdrawals are disabled for unverified users. On iOS you can compare your limits from your Profile in the app with the limits for verified users listed here or if youā€™re an Android user, message the support team to check - this wonā€™t be necessary :soon:

Yes I went after 14th but didnā€™t know to ask Monzo at the time (android). Thanks for pointing it out (should have read more carefully :flushed:)

1 Like

All sorted now - issue was with verification we can (and have) now drawn money out in Sri Lanka (Jan 10th 2017 ) no issues with magnetivc strip - Bank of Celyon

1 Like

I used my card on Amazon.in for an order shipped within India. No problems great rate

2 Likes

Used my card in SBI atm and ICICI atm in delhi to withdraw cash and it worked fine. The magstripe option was switched on before usingā€¦ Also ICICI imposed charge of INR 200 for each withdrawal whereas there was no charge on SBI atm.
The exchange rate was very very goodā€¦ as good as XE ratesā€¦

1 Like

Will be in India (Hyderabad) next week. Will check ATM and card readers.

2 Likes

I used my card in New Delhi and it worked great. I only had my card refused in one place (a bar). I thought my card was blocked but it might just be the fact itā€™s a prepaid card.

I had to constantly remind people to select INR as the currency option and was charged in pounds a few times, but thatā€™s usually what happens when using cards abroad.

1 Like

I am flying out to India in the morning. Has any one tried ATM withdrawals with the magstripe option turned on for 24hours. Does this work?

if you look at the post from suds about 3 up from your post - feb 14 - it seems to work OK :wink: enjoy yourself

• make sure youā€™re a verified user
  • turn on your magstripe
  • donā€™t go over your ATM withdrawal limits
  • carry a spare bank card just in case

Yes it works fine. Iā€™m currently in Agra and have been using Monzo quite successfully for everything this trip.

A few points through. Wifi ainā€™t always available depending on where you are staying so I asked in the in-app chat to turn on Mag stripe withdrawals for the duration of my trip.

Iā€™ve been stung once (Rambagh Palace Terrace in Jaipur) with the merchant knowing I was British and putting the transaction through in GBP. So it is possibly worth always asking them to put it through in Rupees. When they had the terminal to you all it sometimes says is ā€˜Enter PINā€™ so you canā€™t tell what figure has been entered.

Some ATMs are still just dispensing 2000 notes which are a pain to get broken down so if you find a machine dispensing 500s then stock up!

Yesterday in Agra I needed some money and lots of the ATMs were closed - I donā€™t know if this was because it was a Friday but certainly one of them was open but out of Cash. I then found one that was working but it presented me with an on machine exchange rate and an access fee. I was a bit desperate so I accepted it - I hate having to overpay like this when I know I have the best card to use while traveling!

Happy travels!
Ashley

1 Like