Monzo in Iceland šŸ‡®šŸ‡ø [Discussion]

Iā€™ve just returned from Iceland where I used Monzo almost exclusively. I got out 3000 ISK at the airport when I first arrived ā€˜just in caseā€™, but found that I actually didnā€™t need it at all. Even the taxis all take cards!

I didnā€™t have any problems using the card. Contactless worked most of the time, Chip and Pin was fine for the few times when it didnā€™t. Nobody seemed quite sure what the limit for contactless was, but they reckoned it was somewhere around 4000/5000 ISK which would roughly match up with the Ā£30 limit back at home.

At the moment the exchange rate is around 140 ISK to Ā£1, which makes pretty much everything eye-wateringly expensive! However, Monzo was a godsend in helping me to keep track of all my spending while I was there. It was my first time travelling with the card and I must say Iā€™m really impressed! The little ā€˜welcome homeā€™ notification when I landed back in the UK, along with a summary of everything Iā€™d spend on holiday, was a nice (albeit rather painful) touch!

4 Likes

Hey

Heading to Iceland next Wednesday just got my monzo card through the post today and by the sounds of it I wonā€™t have a problem using it out there, will keep you updated

Jay

So just got back from 5 days in Iceland and other than getting out some krona to pay for a couple of tours (didnā€™t know at the time but even they took card on the tour bus) I used solely my monzo card for everything, contactless and chip and pin both worked fine.

Especially grateful for the notifications telling me how much Iā€™ve spent that day so I could keep track on my spending, Iceland is not cheap by any standards, I was getting about 140 krona to the pound which considering friends only got 130 at the travel agency before we came was a bit of a result. Definitely made my trip a lot easier and a lot better value for money.

2 Likes

The card itself worked flawlessly. Was / am very impressed.

The app kept logging me out which was annoying. Seems there is currently a bug when using the widget.

Hi guys,

First post in this super useful sub-strand of our thriving community!

Iā€™m going to Iceland next week, so will provide another update shortly after.

Take care

Rory

2 Likes

Hi All, spent last week in the very cold and :snowflake:ļøsnowy :snowman_with_snow:Iceland :iceland:
I took just my Monzo card and had zero issues. It was flawless throughout. One friend had a competitor card called Revolt. Im pleased to confirm his didnā€™t work in all places and heā€™s now converted to Monzo :sunglasses:

5 Likes

my spell check used to change it to revolt as well :slight_smile:

1 Like

Update as promised.

Monzo worked flawlessly. With, in most cases, better than expected MasterCard rates.

I also converted three friends on the trip to Monzoā€™s corally goodness too, shame we Android users donā€™t receive Golden Tickets!

Take care all

3 Likes

As a fellow Android master raceā€¦ I can confirm that we do get them! I registered early January, got card mid January and got ticket on 6th February. Iā€™m not sure how they are assigned to users or anything, but I definitely got one. :smiley:

1 Like

Ah, interesting, and thanks for pointing out! Alex S also picked this up with me separately, so much appreciated in both cases.

Was this via app notification?

Also, to take this further, perhaps a member of the team could elaborate on regualirity/triggers/criteria etc for receivingā€‹.

Apologies if this has been covered in the GT thread, the Android, or another. Donā€™t remember seeing a definitive answer though during my trawlingā€¦

Ta

1 Like

@Avishaiā€™s just jogged my memory :raised_hands:

Hereā€™s the latest on golden tickets for Android, from Tristan in the developerā€™s Slack channel yesterday

1 Like

O, @alexs response explains why I didnā€™t notice it initially. But it looks like below and it will stay in whatever position it landed. Monzoā€™s info about investing worked the same way. If you had an account around that time, worth scrolling back to that date. :smiley:

1 Like

Hereā€™s the golden tickets :tada:

Yes! That is awesomeā€¦ Found it in my feed :beers:

1 Like

Iā€™ve been to Iceland every year for the past 8 years with the intention of using a debit card exclusively, and Iā€™ve not once had to use cash. I used my Monzo card exclusively this time around and had no issues whatsoever. Ā£7 a pint though! But thatā€™s just Iceland. :airplane: :beers: :hotdog:

1 Like

I see youā€™ve been there so often that youā€™ve become a true Icelander - you went to duty free on the way in to the country! :wink:

3 Likes

I have just got back from my Iceland holiday and my Monzo card worked perfectly.
As everyone else has mentioned, everywhere accepts card payments. Even a hot dog van accepted card!

I got some money out of a cash point to tip the guide on the free walking tour. I found that every cash point in Reykjavik had a fee of between 150kr and 200kr. (just over Ā£1)

I also found that both my Monzo card and my friendā€™s credit card (who now has a Monzo card on the way!) needed a chip and pin payment before contactless would work.

It was my first holiday away without either my parents or school. I enjoyed it so much that I feel my Monzo card may get a little more abroad use in the future! :grinning: :airplane:

3 Likes

Well, itā€™s outside of the EU so, itā€™s exempt of excise duty & tax meaning you can save up to 50% for most things. Even then itā€™s still ludicrously expensive, more than twice the price of buying alcohol in the UK, but much cheaper than Reykjavik itself. :beer: :money_with_wings:

Well if you buy your alcohol etc on the way IN to the country at the duty free, it makes it cheaper.

I went on a trip to Iceland a few months ago, and Monzo worked for me without any hitches!
Itā€™s true that they take card pretty much anywhere, I didnā€™t withdraw cash for my entire trip.

3 Likes

Looks like Thomas (one of the Monzo team) didnā€™t either :tada:

https://twitter.com/thomas_ag/status/884800029017477120