šŸ‡«šŸ‡· Monzo in France [Discussion]

if only Monzo could influence the French petrol stations method of operating :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Or even British onesā€¦ See: Morrisonā€™s.

2 Likes

Are they still playing up?

1 Like

or not playing ball

3 Likes

Noticed last week that even though Carrefour (supermarket) was advertising Apple Pay support, neither that nor contactless worked on both my Halifax Clarity and Monzo (obviously only contactless).

Chip & Pin worked fine though.

To do ā€œshame and blameā€ it is this store in Les Menures, 3 valleys:

http://www.carrefour.fr/magasin/montagne-les-menuires-preyerand

1 Like

If I remember right none of my UK cards worked contactlessly in France. This country has their own national card network called ā€œCarte Bancaireā€ (literally ā€œbank cardā€) in addition to MasterCard and Visa, and I believe many shops only use the national CB network for contactless, which works fine for local cards as theyā€™ve got the CB application in addition to Visa/MasterCard but fails for our cards as we havenā€™t got the local CB nonsense.

Technically thereā€™s nothing preventing them from accepting contactless both via CB and Visa/MasterCard (the terminal would just select the proper AID based on what the card supports) but this is France weā€™re talking about, so it will never happen.

3 Likes

Does anyone have any experience of using monzo in Disneyland Paris?

Hey guys,

Iā€™m going to France for a few weeks in July/August - Anybody had experience of using the Monzo Debit Card abroad? Do you get charged anywhere for using it, and are there any restrictions on where you can and canā€™t use it?

Many Thanks :slight_smile:

Monzo works fine in France. Take care to carry some cash as many merchants donā€™t accept cards for <ā‚¬10; also contactless is not very wide spread but chip and pin is almost everywhere.

5 Likes

Yes, it worked fine

Hey :slight_smile:

Just a quick query, are magstripe ATMs prevalent in France? If so, do you need to enable it via the app?

Not at all, theyā€™re all EMV aka chip & PIN. :+1:

3 Likes

Hi there

Iā€™m new to Monzo and hoping to use it in france next week. I just wanted to know, can you see your transactions as you spend while abroad? The travel part of the site suggests that you get an update on how much you spent once you return to your home country?

Thanks for your help

1 Like

Hi @wpenn yes youā€™ll be able to see transactions as you spend abroad as long as you have internet access on your device

3 Likes

Ive used in France before and will be next week. No problem at all!

1 Like

You get the update on how much you spent in France next time you use it in the UK.

Visited Strasbourg recently and so thought Iā€™ll add my two pennies worth of my experience using Monzo.

Contrary to what some people said here, Monzo worked flawlessly for me - even contactless payments worked on terminals showing the contactless symbol (surprise!) where people said it didnā€™t work for them in the past! There were maybe the odd occasions where I had to fall back to chip and PIN.

TL;DR: Overall, it seems feasible to go cashless in (some part of) France, as I managed to pay for a :tea: with contactless when I thought I had to fork out some physical :euro:!

4 Likes

I donā€™t think this is exactly the case. In my experience itā€™s as soon as you use it in a different country. Or it thinks you doā€¦ (If you use merchants based in different countries youā€™ll get a trip reportā€¦ Breaking up your streak). Like this (I was in Germany but made one purchase at a shop with a Dutch registered terminal):

Screenshot_20180826-081427

1 Like

I was very surprised that cards were accepted everywhere in Strasbourg but the city is becoming increasingly touristy compared to my visit the year before. A popular Chinese show (literally translates to ā€œChinese Restaurantā€ was recently filmed in Colmar (neighbouring town) when I visited again this year and the place was packed with mainlanders. The first season had 188 million viewers and nearly 2.8 billion views on social media, so I think itā€™ll be even busier next year. In contrast, some restaurants in Paris only took cash/ chip and pin.

1 Like

Interesting fact - I didnā€™t know about that so thanks for sharing! :smile: That may well have explained why I saw swarm of Chinese/mainlander tourists everywhere, especially around Petite-France!

Do you know any reasons why they picked Colmar in particular? Colmar was a recommended spot to visit when I spoke to locals but I didnā€™t leave myself enough time to go. Maybe another trip is in orderā€¦ :memo:

But to the main point, Mastercard acceptance was practically 100% for me, even though Iā€™m sure there are probably still a few places where they only want cash. And as my visit was limited to Strasbourg only, I am cautious in saying going cashless is feasible everywhere!