Monzo in Bosnia 🇧🇦

Anyone used their card in Bosnia? I’m going to sarajevo and mostar…

1 Like

I had no problems using cash machines in mostar last week. Didn’t try any card payments though

That’s good to know as Mostar is somewhere I’m going.
Thanks

Jude

1 Like

I’m in Banja Luka at the moment, no issues at all using my debit card on the current account or my partner’s prepaid card :tada:
We’ve used a couple of different banks’ ATMs, and paid in shops, restaurants, kiosks by card with no problems. Everywhere we’ve tried so far accepts card, all chip & PIN. Haven’t seen any contactless terminals yet.
I’ll update if anything is different in Sarajevo, Konjic or Mostar!

Edit: most places in the Old Town in Sarajevo are cash only. Intesa Sanpaolo Banka charges 6KM to make a withdrawal :roll_eyes: and Raffeisen also adds a charge, but the others I’ve tried are free.

3 Likes

Thanks Mariama that’s great news. Have a lovely trip x

Just another person chipping in to say it’s a very cash based country in Bosnia if you’re doing a bit of a backpackers holiday.

Sarajevo - Many hostels, even the upmarket ones want cash in KM for payment. Restaurants in the west of town will often take card if you ask but the old town shops and restaurants are pretty strictly cash. We found that many ATMs charged for withdrawals except for UniCredit Bank on Ferhadija in the centre of town.

Mostar - Again, accommodation here is general family run and cash based. The Old town beside the Stari Most is also generally cash based, even the bigger restaurants. Any coffee lovers, Café de Alma around the corner from the Stari Most is fantastic but again, you need cash. There’s also a massive charge on some of the ATMs here, but we found one in the bazaar on Kujundžiluk on the east side of the Stari Most kinda opposite The Cave/Ali Baba.

Bosnia is fascinating and beautiful and I couldn’t recommend it enough!

1 Like

Hi there

Can you remember what banks were free. I’m heading to another town in Bosnia?

Hi all, bumping this thread as it is quite old. Has anyone recently visit Bosnia and Herzogivina and used their Monzo to take out cash from ATM? Which Bank ATM machines are free and dont charge extra? Also similar question for Croatia.

We will be in Croatia and B&H in July.

Recently came back from Bosnia and all ATMs charge an additional €4-5 (10 Marks) and I tried many bank ATMs in both Mostar and Sarajevo. And this was the case for other cards as well like Wise or even Metro

Just got back from a long weekend in Sarajevo. Our experience was half and half in terms of places that accepted card and those that didn’t. There were a few places that accepted card in the Old Town which surprised me. However, it’s probably useful to have some spare cash on you as some places only accept this method of payment. Most ATMs we used did charge us 10 Marks to withdraw cash. A local told us that UniCredit Bank is free to withdraw from but we didn’t use one at the time.