Monzo for Android - Beta Channel Changelog šŸ•µ

Itā€™s horribly inconsistent.

Home page has no title bar (!! - not even iOS does that)
Spending and account have fixed title bars
Payments and help have disappearing title bars

Home page has search on a floating button
Payments has search on the title bar
Help has search below the title bar in a separate box

Seriouslyā€¦ pick a style and use it.

7 Likes

Totally agree with all of this.

Its very very inconsistent not sure why Monzo think making iOS and Android Apps same is good for users. I know I will probably get use to of this interface in few days but it just doesnā€™t look right for now.

3 Likes

Feels like Monzo canā€™t win sometimes :thinking: Users complain about space for feed items, they remove some y height by removing the Title Bar / shifting Search to a FAB and people dislike it :stuck_out_tongue: I think the FAB looks quite nice down there - not interfering with the Pulse :slight_smile: Plus it vanishes when I scroll down my feed :heart_eyes:

Pulse is super nice, Iā€™ve been using it for months though and seen how itā€™s developed over that time :clock10: Itā€™s come a long way - trust me! :wink: I canā€™t wait to see what happens next! Iā€™m hoping for more intelligence in the (what Iā€™ll call) ā€œPrediction lineā€ā€¦ I.e. if Iā€™ve got an SO (Standing Order) going out on the 14th, a line in the future of my Pulse will drop on the 14th, by the amount of the SO. Seems like a nice idea to me :innocent:

Merchant Feedback!!!

:heart_eyes: I hate seeing missing icons on my feedā€¦ I equally hate bothering support with my silly icon requests :sweat_smile: So I just went down my entire 1.5yr old (or so) feed and submitted correct merchant locations, icons, websites, etc. :grin: Probably a couple dozen or so missing but Iā€™m super happy that in a few days time I should in theory only be missing icons for; DDs, Refunds, Monzo.me and ATMs! :smiley: (Yesā€¦ I know itā€™s sad :joy:)

Tabs

Theyā€™re inconsistent. It kinda sucks but itā€™s not awfully out-of-whack, everything is functional and as individual components theyā€™re spot on. As a collective itā€™s a bit hit and miss but Iā€™m certainly not unhappy with the app :slight_smile: Iā€™d much rather see work on Pulse etc. than see a little cosmetic fix (thoughā€¦ when Iā€™m developing I feel like I get more satisfaction from fixing the alignment of icons than I do coding the thing which uses those icons :grin:)

Cross-platform similarities

As long as itā€™s done right I donā€™t care. IMHO Monzo are going in the right direction. Theyā€™re adopting platform specific features and design languages to their full extent(s) which results in both apps looking sharp and modern :sunglasses:
iOS and Android are different platforms. They do and will remain to look different (even if only slightly) think about how often this happens though! Who complains that Snapchat looks the same on their iPhone 8 and their Samsung Galaxy S7?
I think itā€™s wonderful (so long as Monzo donā€™t screw it up! :wink:) Means that I could, for instance, move to a pesky iDevice and still know what Iā€™m doing in the Monzo app :smiley:

To me, bear in mind I donā€™t have Monzo on an iPhone (or an iPhone at all for that matter!), based on screenshots / mockups, the Monzo app is similar on both platforms but I donā€™t for a second scroll through the app on my Pixel 2 XL and think ā€˜Hmm, this feels very iOS-eyā€™ the font is great, the colours are lovely, the material design language is followed very well and I completely trust that itā€™ll continue to adhere to the Android design guidelines :slight_smile:

Thatā€™s my ramble for the night :wave: I love the Monzo app, exciting to see all these updates, canā€™t wait to see whatā€™s next :eyes: though I have a good idea :smirk:

9 Likes

It doesnā€™t adhere to the material design guidelines. Thereā€™s no app bar . This is not optional UI on android. It is on iOSā€¦ funny that.

4 Likes

The Android screenshots Iā€™ve seen on this forum have had a big space at the top that just said ā€œMonzoā€ ā€“ is this the app bar? It always seemed like a huge waste of space to me with basically no functionality, so maybe this is why it was removed? That way thereā€™s more space for transactions, information, navigation, etc. Or am I missing something (as I havenā€™t used Android, I could well be!)?

Itā€™s pretty useful. LHS for page title or app name, and on the right hand common actionsā€¦ settings, favourites, that kind of thing. That space is also the primary place for entering search details.

The payments screen actually largely gets this rightā€¦ faced with a similar problem of wanting more real estate it simply temporarily hides it when scrolling.

Thereā€™s loads you can do with transition effects to maximise screen real estate. If you ever get to see the national trust app on android, have a look at how it solves that problem in various ways. Iā€™ve based quite a lot of my own designs on ideas from it.

2 Likes

Has anyone got a screenshot of the tabs on an iPhone 5? If I set my phone to large font (how my parents use phones) the text goes horrible and gets cut off. While iOS guidelines now state 5 tabs is maximum before a ā€˜moreā€™ button is added, I regularly find the following issue when people add 5 tabs:

Screenshot_20180212-195951

2 Likes

on the largest text on my iPhone 5s the actual account page text is fine but the text on other pages the text gets cut off
IMG_2884IMG_2887IMG_2888

Ah thanks, itā€™s definitely better than on android but clearly still has issues. Luckily I only work on hybrid apps (using Cordova, write once, deploy to both platforms) which makes working with dynamic font sizes a bit easier. Also the designer I usually work with only has a 5s so we only have to worry about all the whitespace we end up with on a 8/x.

My regular device is a Google Pixel (1st gen, non XL) but I use the font size on small, so I actually have quite a bit of space:
Screenshot_20180212-210037

1 Like

As a UXā€™er Iā€™m really not keen on ā€˜Helpā€™ as a 5th tab. Generally, tabs should be used to navigate between the most frequently accessed content/features - and I donā€™t consider ā€˜Helpā€™ to be something I need to access frequently (or at least, Iā€™d hope not!). Yes, it needs to be easily discoverable etc, but Iā€™m not convinced this is the best solution.

8 Likes

Version 1.22.0 :grinning:

Nothing major :wink: changelog below!

Screenshot_20180223-182730

No mention of a fix for the pulse graph / balance status being unable reach the 1st of any month when scrolling through the feed :frowning:

Developer options shows interesting promiseā€¦ Fingerprint lock support

1 Like

:heart_eyes::heart_eyes: nice! Shame itā€™s disabled :frowning: trolls!! :joy:

Screenshot_20180223-190401

1 Like

Give it time! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Plenty of things that we all want adding, removing or fixing :wink:

I can tap on the 1st of the month and then scroll and itā€™ll put me on the 1st of the previous month :thinking: not sure what the issue is :grinning:

Well, the catā€™s out of the bag - yep, fingerprint lock is almost here, weā€™re testing internally right now and it works great.

Just working on the copy text and design before itā€™s ready to ship :grinning:

One thing to be aware of, this is just the first implementation so is literally just a security lock right now (so, we donā€™t support using fingerprint instead of PIN to send money yet as we do on iOS).

9 Likes

Looks like somebody forgot to send my copy :smirk: who do I need to email? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Canā€™t wait to see this in action! :grinning: Itā€™ll be nice to see the feature expand into replacing pins for payments etc. But v1 sounds like itā€™ll be exactly what everyone has been asking for for a while :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Will there be a pin fallback if the device doesnā€™t have Fingerprint support?

2 Likes

not only if the device doesnā€™t have it, but if user choses not to use it for medical reasons (accessibility issue)?

Unfortunately not at this stage.

All the work weā€™ve done so far has been client-based.

Implementing any type of PIN also requires backend work, so we arenā€™t at that stage with this feature just yet.

4 Likes

I donā€™t think this is strictly true. Thereā€™s no reason you couldnā€™t encrypt credentials on device through use of a device-specific pin, in exactly the same way that fingerprint storage is device specific.

I can certainly believe that it would be more work, as youā€™d probably have to implement more of it yourselves rather than having a service provided by the OS, but itā€™s not true that a PIN login necessitates any sort of network service

2 Likes