Monzo equivalent in each industry?

T-Mobile and Orange both did 2 numbers on one sim in the end they binned it as they were not getting used.

Source: Me as I used to work for them

Did they provide worldwide numbers (where the law allows it - some countries like India donā€™t allow it unfortunately), and what was the friction required to set up a number? In our case it takes a few taps in an app/web interface to provision an number and itā€™s equally easy to release a number after youā€™re done with it. There are several apps in the App store that provide throwaway numbers so I still think thereā€™s a market for that.

This was over 10 years ago now so things would have changed but T-Mobile had it for business customers and it was just setup at the same time as the contract, I think it was called priority line that cut through the divert and rang the mobile.

Orange was the same but also did it when they price matched tariffs .

With regards to worldwide, no it was just what was on their network.

o2 give you a ā€œcall me numberā€ in their ā€œInternational friendsā€ bundle.

https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/international/calling-international-numbers/

Interesting - I didnā€™t know that. Itā€™s still extremely expensive for what it is really - my throwaway numbers cost me 1Ā£ a month, and would be even less if buying them in volume (when/if we launch).

Cuvva and By Miles for car insurance.

2 Likes

Bulb is definitely the coolest energy supplier. Though for energy comparison I use voltzapp.com that sends me notifications on new cheapest deals.

GiffGaff created an amazing community same as Monzo (I know they are O2)

1 Like

Are they any good in terms of customer service? Community support only gets you so far, do anyone from the company actually reads their forums? If not there isnā€™t much point. Also given itā€™s O2 the technical debt and legacy stack is still presentā€¦

Nimvelo provide an internet phone service with UK landline numbers. Itā€™s backed by an API so you can integrate with other services.

We are increasingly living in the future but people are still attached to landline numbers, especially local numbers. So itā€™s great for entrepreneurs that want to create a local presence in a new market.

Personally, I have an 0330 area code (non-geographic) number routed to a SIP app on my smart phone, just in case a company needs me to have a landline number

Full disclosure, I work at Nimvelo, and if you sign up with my referral link you get Ā£20 free credit

3 Likes

Isnā€™t that like Vonage?

On the surface, yep. However, Nimvelo is entirely API driven with a proper regulated network in the UK built entirely from the ground up to act as a modern interface between software and traditional phone networks. We aim to provide users with granular control if they want, or use it at the advertised surface level.

We love open source, and contribute back to the projects that underpin our infrastructure

Could you provide mobile numbers (with inbound SMS)? It would be awesome to have an user-friendly way of getting multiple mobile numbers.

Google Voice does this :smiley:

Yeah, we can get you mobile numbers which support both voice and two way SMS (incoming SMS content can be emailed to wherever you specify for each number, or posted to a url / your own application). We also can provide international numbers too :+1:

Iā€™ve been doing something similar for the past decade using Localphone (my referral). Incoming UK numbers are Ā£0.75 (Ā£0.90 with VAT)/month and can be forwarded to a SIP phone/app, or normal phone number anywhere in the world.

Iā€™m grandfathered in from when incoming UK numbers were free so i only pay for outgoing calls. I have both an app on my iPhone and a Yealink T23G registered to the account, so when someone calls my number both phones ring.

In recent years Localphone hasnā€™t launched any new services but back when i initially joined their services were extremely innovative, and if you just want incoming/outgoing calls they still have a strong recommend from me.

1 Like

Oh cool - I wasnā€™t actually requesting one (I have my own company that does exactly this :joy:) but itā€™s always nice to see more providers offering this, hopefully weā€™ll reach a point where numbers are like email aliases that you can add/remove easily from an app on your phone.

As are SIPgateā€¦

(words for limit)

Bulb quoted me more than my currant supplier First Utility!

How much more? The referrals can make a big difference. Iā€™m currently getting more credit on referrals than Iā€™m spending on energy bills :wink: