Some vendors declining to accept Monzo

You should do one :slight_smile:

Correction made spelling police :smile: Typing on phone with a swipe keyboard can result in embarrassing mistakes

1 Like

I couldn’t resist poking a little fun. :wink: I’m sure you’ll get your own back. Autocorrect regularly hijacks what I’m trying to type.

For the inventor of autocorrect, there’s a special place reserved in Hull.

8 Likes

Tea sprayed over laptop moment!

This is businesss as usual for the scammy telecoms industry.

I just had this at “delice de France” and “the pasty shop” at Liverpool Street station.

Various reasons were given:
“It causes us viruses”, “they don’t pay us”, “this is fake bank”, “this card is scam and fake you should not use this card as they will scam you”

All of the above we all know are bulls**t.

I did trick them by putting my Barclays Card half in the machine (they wouldn’t activate the machine until they saw my card) and then just quickly tapped my Monzo card on, which went through PERFECTLY FINE at both retailers. Also printed a receipt. They were mega shocked though when I did it and one of them even said they need to call the police!! :joy: :joy: I just laughed and walked off.

10 Likes

The police won’t attend a call like that.

5 Likes

I know that… they clearly are very stupid. But in general, both do these merchants are run by “SSP” which operate these brands in various train stations. I did report these issues in app but according to the counter staff their managers told them they’ll be in trouble if they accept the card.

Not sure if this applies to the other SSP retail units in the station.

Just to check, are these actual quotes from staff at these merchants? We would love to know as much detail about this as possible if true. :female_detective:

4 Likes

Yes that is correct. I did mention that it is against MasterCard rules to do this and one of them said “manager told us so not our problem”

You should complain to them about this. Pasty shop & upper crust are part of SSP Group who have a turnover in excess of £2billion a year. I used to work for that company and know they accept every card under the sun including Amex etc. This is just a rogue employee deciding that they don’t like Monzo cards. They need to be stopped! :angry:

4 Likes

Monzo are not too far from Liverpool street station. Maybe send someone to get their Lunch from one of these shops today :slight_smile:

7 Likes

What it needs is Monzo cardholders to visit en masse and order a load of stuff and proffer Monzo cards only as form of payment.

4 Likes

I love this :laughing:

Good for you :+1:

3 Likes

Email Richard.attwood@ssp.uk.com with complaints. He is the ops manager for Liverpool Street and will cascade that there should be no picking and choosing which mastercards to accept

5 Likes

We have had loads of people reporting this. Initially I was concerned that our cards might be crashing the terminal, so I actually went to buy a pasty to test this and get some data - card was accepted just fine and nothing was wrong, so I think it might certain members of staff.

Thanks for posting this, I will email him straight away! I did call their head office the other day and complained about this, they were pretty reasonable to be fair.

Still, making more noise can’t hurt!

12 Likes

It seems a very localised problem which hints at a manager in the station. I wonder if it originated from the delays and errors caused by the many outages at GPS, the pre-paid card processor? Perhaps the staff were in trouble for handing over goods before the terminals showed an error, and put two and two together with the Hot Coral cards which are very recognisable?

2 Likes

I have been using Monzo prepaid for a year, and recently moved to the current account.

Until recently I have never had any issues with my card being accepted, but over the last few weeks I have had a number of merchants refuse to accept my ‘orange’ card.

Claiming that prepay cards cause them issues when people make a claim due to the lack of details held about the card user.

Even after explaining that I am now on a current account and my name is printed on the card I was refused the transaction with my Monzo card…

Are there any plans to educate merchants or market the fact Monzo is moving away from pre-pay before this starts damaging your brand?

Is the navy Monzo card now more relevant than ever?

1 Like

This was brought up here Some vendors declining to accept Monzo
Might be worth merging

This is more aimed at people making refund claims for legitimate transactions and lack of details around pre-pay users…

Although it sounds like both scenarios are having the same negative impact on how merchants view Monzo

tl;dr from the thread @mark1 mentioned: the merchant is not allowed to refuse a specific card as long as it is a valid MasterCard/Visa - to do so is against the terms of their payment processor.

3 Likes