Monzo crashing on launch [Raised internally - investigating]

Got it working again :sweat_smile:

Don’t know if all these steps were necessary, but I reset the Monzo session in settings, deleted the app, switched phone off and back on, reinstalled app from the App Store, and it’s working again :slightly_smiling_face::pray:

1 Like

Annoyingly, deleting and reinstalling has made me lose the dark mode options in settings :slightly_frowning_face: so not quite back to normal.

Edit: now it’s appeared again lol…

1 Like

Dark mode settings has its own issue. Not sure if it’s a bug or intended given it was the same to activate it during beta (but it does feel like a bug). To get dark mode settings you need to quit the app and relaunch it after you first set it up.

1 Like

Ah! 4.40 crashed! Had to reinstall but the build isn’t available, gone through a few TestFlight builds, the latest one worked, but it broke Trends! It doesn’t update update, and trying to save different accounts/pots selections just stays loading forever. Trying to troubleshoot that broke the build, and now it won’t work.

When I try others I’m getting this weird flash of a broken version of the new logo before it shows the old one, then it crashes.

Have Monzo made any progress with this bug yet?

1 Like

I have the same issue in Trends where trying to save different accounts/pots selections just spins round and round forever when you click done.

1 Like

Thanks for confirming that’s not just me!

Made a thread for it here:

1 Like

Hello!

Since iOS16 has graced us with it presence I’ve had to on average of 3-4 times a week delete the app, reboot the phone and download it again. The app constantly crashes out and l have never had this issue with any of the other versions of iOS.

It’s becoming quite a pain. Tell tail signs that I’m going to have to do it.

1. The notification badge doesn’t disappear
  2. When I have to approve a payment
  3. If someone sends a payment request.

I have put up with it since it came out and I’ve gotten so fed up I did a clean install of my phone yesterday again. Last time prior to that was 5 weeks ago.

Is this something that other people are experiencing. Someone at my work showed me logs of where the iOS can see this happening.

Don’t know what more I can do. :woman_shrugging:t2:

There’s a few threads about it, Monzo are aware and investigating.

3 Likes

I totally agree with you. It’s such a pain that am considering using a more reliable bank.

This has been going on for a very long while now and still not fixed.

I was happy to download the updated app this week thinking it’s now fixed, but to my disappointment it’s still happening.

Monzo has not updated us on the cause of this issue.

1 Like

They have been aware for over a year now and not fixed

It’s not been that long! Only a few months, not that that makes it any more okay! I was one of the first victims to report the issue online, and was the first to do so here. I did some digging not too long ago to try to figure which version in particular it was that broke the app. It seems to coincide closely with when the summer cards were added to the app going from reports which started to crop up a week or two before my app crashed for the first time.

@AlanDoe it might be helpful to clean up and merge a bunch of the duplicate threads on this issue to save repeating all the really helpful troubleshooting and temporary fix methods folks have already found and shared.

2 Likes

This is the third time in 2 weeks I’ve had to remove and reinstall the app because it refuses to open. You provide ONE method of accessing your bank - the mobile app. No website. No tablet app. The mobile app. That’s it. And it doesn’t work. You’re a joke Monzo. 5 months is more than long enough to fix this issue, imagine how many people that don’t come to the forums are having this issue.

Sort. It. Out.

1 Like

I’ve not experienced this issue personally for quite a while now

Sporadic issues for a tiny amount of customers is going to be one of the hardest things to track down. Monzo are lucky that @N26throwaway is knowledgeable and managed to identify a big part of the cause and detail it, not just “It crashes”

But Monzo will want to fix it and will be spending time to do that, but with bugs it’s not as simple as “Sort it out”, they have to identify and work out how first.

3 Likes

Been having the same issue, frustratingly seems to happen only when I need to use the app urgently to check or approve something (though I doubt it’s worth including Sod’s Law in my bug report).

What information do I need to submit to the help@ email address that could help diagnose this?

Couple of times I’ve been trying to use TFL and since I can’t tap in because of insufficient funds and I can’t transfer money from a pot because the app is broken… gotta skip the bus! :grimacing:

1 Like

Anything you think causes it. @N26throwaway has managed to replicate it if his device restarts with Monzo running.

I wouldn’t bother with emailing though. Put your findings in this thread.

1 Like

I’d definitely do both. An email is probably properly logged etc, so I’d do that (as well as report on here).

I know this doesn’t fix the actual issue here, but you could use IFTTT to pull say £5 out of your pot and into your main balance to sidestep the Monzo app when you’re having issues. Just manually trigger it to run whenever you urgently need money but can’t access the app.

1 Like

Hi JD :wave:

I’m Lee, an iOS engineer here at Monzo. I’m taking a look into this issue at the moment and having some extra info about it would be super useful. For these sorts of crashes (right at app launch) it’s really difficult to see what’s going on, especially if we aren’t experiencing the same crash ourselves.

If you’d be willing and able to share a little extra info with me that would be really useful. Specifically the crash log that your phone should hopefully be storing.

To get to those crash log, you can:

• navigate to Settings > Privacy, scroll down, and tap Analytics & Improvements,
  • make sure that “Share iPhone & Watch Analytics” is enabled,
  • tap Analytics Data,
  • pull down to reveal the search bar & search for “Monzo”,
  • tap on the item that’s time-stamped to match when the last crash happened,
  • tap on the Share button top-right, and then
  • email that to us on feedback@monzo.com

Let me know once you’ve sent that through and I’ll take a look to make sure that I’ve got it.

cc. @N26throwaway if you’ve managed to find a reliable way of repeating this, sharing the steps that you take would also be super helpful. :pray:

7 Likes

Hi Lee, I’ve shared everything I know and have tested and troubleshooted related to this issue in the thread already.

It may be worth asking @Moddingfriendly as they spent a good portion of their time engaging with me on here and going through some potential resolves (one of which involved using an old test flight build, which fixed the problem for a while), and they said they’d passed all that onto the iOS team already.

For a quick recap, this post covers the most reliable way I’ve found to replicate it. Other users have echoed that it’s in this particular scenario I outline here that causes the issue to occur for them too, but not everyone has been able to replicate it this way:

Some more in depth details here

Testing my reproduction on the old TestFlight build which could recover from being deleted and reinstalled unlike the latest version at that time:

Another user who experienced the bug with the same circumstances as my reproduction method:

It may be worth having a quick skim of the thread. I’ve been pretty thorough in my tracking and troubleshooting and testing and reporting my findings here, so everything I know and have done is already in the thread, but if there’s anything else you need from me to get to the bottom of the issue let me know!

3 Likes